Current Camper manuf relationship with potential customers.

Freebird

I just went through researching and hunting various new truck campers I wanted to spend bucks on. It was a frustrating experience.
Started with XP-V1. Went through the FWC factory. Went to BC twice to see separate builders. Did a lot of on-line research. Contacted several more.
In their defense, at this point ALL of the quality builders I looked at/contacted were busy (a good thing...), and seriously backorded. Many, many months for some. None were "hungry"...
I came to the conclusion the majority of buyers go see a dealer, listen to the salesman, and buy what is on the lot, doing very little research. I think most the forum readers/users on this and EP are cut from significantly different cloth than that.
Turnoffs & frustrations:
-This is the best _____ appliance(s), yes it is exceeding EXPENSIVE, but take it or leave it (camper) as a package deal. (Even if you don't like the "concept" of that appliance)
-There are no upgrades available to a compressor refrigerator. Even if it is a drop in fit.
-Systems can not be modified or changed. ( changes? Here is our options list...)
-Not invented here, so I will not even listen to your ideas/suggestions/thoughts. (And one was rude about it)
-Order what we make and get in line. (Easily read between the lines)
-Builders/innovators who spread themselves WAY to thin over many projects/models, perfecting none, since they are improving many models... and developing more.
-Not concentrating on increasing production numbers to fill demand on existing models. Respond instead by raising prices.
-Good basic models that have been discontinued for fatter profit models. (Understandable, but frustrating).

I'm painting with a broad brush here. Several of these relate to one in particular, but a few, more or less, are common. When/if hunger arrives at their door step, hopefully they will be more flexible/accommodating to survive....
Since this was what I found, and exactly what I wanted in a camper wasn't out there, I bought used and will modify over time with both use...and time availability.
YMMV

FWIW- Alaskan/Bryan is the most flexible, likable, accommodating, easy communicating, happy to modify....builder I have dealt with. Unfortunately his didn't fit our current "wants".

I noticed that you didn't list All Terrain Campers above. They've always been known for their outstanding customer service AND their willingness to modify their products to fit their customers needs. I bought a pop up from them late last year and I could not be happier. Give them a look if you haven't already.

Freebird said:
<snip>

..................................... and exactly what I wanted in a camper wasn't out there, I bought used and will modify over time with both use...and time availability.
Sounds like you've made the best decision to suit your needs. Safe travels and happy camping.

The only pop-up seriously on my list was XP-V1 since it had a shower. Eliminated it since my wife did NOT want another pop-up.I think we might have been able compromised to it, but I wasn't enthused with the expensive SLOW diesel cooktop, and that seems to be non negotiable. Also weight is high for its size. Went by the factory a couple times. Marc is a "love/buy it as available...or leave it", kind of guy. I declined.
I looked at FWC and toured the factory since I was in the area, but it wasn't a fit. Very nice folks, tho.

What I have is real nice and will work fine. At least for now.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10823-bought-used-nl-hardside-heresy-i-know/

Back
Top Bottom