Custom Tundra Bumper

Ronin

After going back and forth on a rear hitch carrier or Yakima Load Warrior type rack for the roof to carry an extra spare tire, gas can, jack and shovel, etc, I decided to have a bumper built for me by my friend Daniel at DS welding. I started out with an Aluminess bumper in mind and after a lot of measuring and advice from Daniel, this is what we came up with. The bumper extends back about 10" for a step, has dual swing arms, LED turn/stop/signal and backup lights. The corners tuck in tight to clear the camper jacks. I installed a Camera Source backup camera using their license plate bracket. The swing arms swivel on a 3500lb trailer axle spindle and bearing assembly and are detached by unbolting the castle nut holding it in place, just like you would take off a brake drum. The right side box can be unbolted and replaced by a different size box for whatever your needs are. I basically sized it for a Honda 2000 generator not knowing what size I would ultimately need. I was out of the country during the build so I left it up to Daniel to make decisions on clearances, angles, function, and aesthetics. I'm really happy with the fit and quality of the bumper and can't wait for my trip up to the Redwood NP area.

Attachments

• whole bumper 2 - 1 (1).jpg
    whole bumper 2 - 1 (1).jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 231
  • whole bumper 4 - 1.jpg
    whole bumper 4 - 1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 239
  • whole bumper 5 - 1.jpg
    whole bumper 5 - 1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 236
Happyjax said:
That is very cool! Looks well built too :)
Thanks. The fit and finish is excellent. I've known Daniel since he was in Jr HS and later took up welding in high school. He now owns his own shop and does custom fab work. Love supporting local home grown entrepreneurs!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Ronin that is a nice looking and very useful bumper.
Frank
I couldn't be happier with how it came out. It's not often when things come out how you imagined!

Ronin. That is excellent! Hard to find skills like that , especially if you are not there to supervise. Well done.

cwd

Hi Ronin
Awesome looking bumper wit storage. Do you still have available tire storage underneath? I like that it's up where yo don't have to get on the ground.

Russ

That is "awesome" . Any chance he would build one for a late model F150 ? I have looked from one end of the www to the other for a swingmount bumper, f150 style. I would like a galley box primarily, hold a grill and charcoal starter It might just suit my needs and wants very well. It gets a little tougher each day NOT having a camper to mod , scratch that, USE. , April is coming fast though !

Rock.

CougarCouple said:
Hi Ronin
Awesome looking bumper wit storage. Do you still have available tire storage underneath? I like that it's up where yo don't have to get on the ground.

Russ
Still have the oem tire storage that I'll still use. I agree that's it's preferable to digging out the tool to crank down the tire and then having to crawl under the truck to unhook the chain holding the spare and then later reversing the process. I like having 2 spares because I'm usually out in the backroads solo with no way to call for help. I also keep a cordless impact gun in the truck to help speed up the process.

Rockcod said:
That is "awesome" . Any chance he would build one for a late model F150 ? I have looked from one end of the www to the other for a swingmount bumper, f150 style. I would like a galley box primarily, hold a grill and charcoal starter It might just suit my needs and wants very well. It gets a little tougher each day NOT having a camper to mod , scratch that, USE. , April is coming fast though !

Rock.
Rock,

I'm sure he can build you whatever you want. Check out his website http://www.dsweldingfabrication.com. He built a completely different style bumper for my '03 Tundra that I was also happy with. What I like about this bumper design is that I wanted it to be just as functional without the camper on it. I wanted the dual swing arms so I wouldn't have 1 really wide arm to open to lower the tail gate. I generally carry extra gas cans, another spare, cook box, recovery gear,chairs, etc. in the pickup bed and I'm hoping this will help keep things more organized. Will see how this works out!

Ronin said:
Rock,

I'm sure he can build you whatever you want. Check out his website http://www.dsweldingfabrication.com. He built a completely different style bumper for my '03 Tundra that I was also happy with. What I like about this bumper design is that I wanted it to be just as functional without the camper on it. I wanted the dual swing arms so I wouldn't have 1 really wide arm to open to lower the tail gate. I generally carry extra gas cans, another spare, cook box, recovery gear,chairs, etc. in the pickup bed and I'm hoping this will help keep things more organized. Will see how this works out!
s

Thanks for the web link, I've bookmarked it for later use. Having a skilled fabricator that has worked with like minded folks is great. Heads up thinking when you designed it for with and w/o the camper on. I have a design in mind based on what I've found online. Thanks very much. Do you have any idea of bumper weight before your personal add ons ? Or better put, just the structural parts he assembled, no tire or fuel/can

Rockcod said:
s

Thanks for the web link, I've bookmarked it for later use. Having a skilled fabricator that has world with like minded folks is great. Heads up thinking when you designed it for with and w/o the camper on. I have a design in mind based on what I've found online. Thanks very much. Do you have any idea of bumper weight before your personal add ons ? Or better put, just the structural parts he assembled, no tire or fuel/can
I don't know the weight - I helped him lift it into place after it came back from powder coating. It was basically a one handed deal with each of us holding up a corner. I was surprised at how light it is - my guess is 80-90 lbs. for the bumper alone. Each swing arm is maybe 30 lbs, 40 lbs top. I took my camper off yesterday and the hardest part was removing the dust cover over the bearing assembly. It looks great without the camper, the swing arms swing out of the way easily to lower the tailgate.

Great looking bumper I'm looking for something very similar and that looks like a solid set up

1Tardis said:
So you have to take the arms off to remove the camper?
I didn't consider not taking the arms off. The right side arm would probably clear, but since I didn't have anyone to watch the back of the camper when I was taking it off I didn't want to take any chances. It's just one castle nut to remove to pull each arm off. Re-installing the arms is just as easy. Just drop the arm onto the spindle and tighten up the castle nut. There is literally 1" clearance between the rear fender wells and the rear jacks as it is without having to worry about anything else hanging off the rear.

I am working on a swing arm bumper, where I can remove the jerry cans and storage box to load and unload the camper. The spindles use grease in their bearings and I don't want to have the mess each time I load and unload. Will post pix when done.

Will be interested to see what you come up with. I haven't experienced a greasy mess yet. The bearing and race stays in place in the swing arm and I'm just careful not to set the arm down where it might get dirt in it.

Attachments

• bumper spindle - 1.jpg
    bumper spindle - 1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 75
  • bumper spindle - 2.jpg
    bumper spindle - 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 80
Looks great! I love our Aluminess bumpers. My bank account hates them.

Do you keep your camper on full time?

MuleHawk said:
Looks great! I love our Aluminess bumpers. My bank account hates them.

Do you keep your camper on full time?
I take my camper off if I don't have a trip planned for 2-3 weeks. Gas mileage with camper is 10-12mpg, 16 without plus parking is a challenge. I really like the Aluminess bumpers too but just couldn't committ to the $$. I really like how my bumper came out. It's an extra step pulling off the swing arms everytime I load the camper, but it's an easy one person job.

Back
Top Bottom