Cutting down older models to fit newer trucks

natjwest

Contributors
I'm hoping to score a used Grandby by watching craiglook and local craigslist, ebay and rvtrader.com but not having much luck finding a 1990s or newer model in a price range I can afford. Mostly I can only afford a screaming deal on a model that new. I know if I keep looking, something will turn up but I'm not the most patient person.

But now I'm wondering if I can buy an older, cheaper model and cut it down to fit in my newer truck. I can't fit the 64" width on my truck.

I did some hunting on this forum but only turned up one mention of this.

Taking it to FWC HQ or ATC in Cali isn't a great option for me, so I'm wondering if I can do a modification myself. I assume the between wheel well dimension is close to 48" and it expands in the back near the tailgate. Has anyone undertaken this mod? I've never welded aluminum, not sure if this is a requirement of the job or would bolting together the joins be a possibility?

I am in the middle of resizing an older Grandby. The aluminum frame needed to be cut down to size and I was able to weld the aluminum tubing. I get my aluminum from a salvage yard. Before I had a welder I would rivet small pieces of angle, flat aluminum or bent aluminum to fasten square tubing together. The heater had to be moved closer to the door. The height of the floor and wood walls needed to be raised, so I just used a cut down 2x4 in the front and back and attached it to the aluminum frame. Rebuilt the entire wood floor pack and sandwiched 1/2" foam between plywood for better insullation. It takes some work, could have probably completed it in a couple of weekends if the rest of the camper didn't need work. I know pictures would help. Basically for my silverado it's modified to 49" between the wheel wells and 59" in the back and along the sides.

I know pictures would help.

Heck yeah, pictures dude! Please! Too bad you live in Montana or I'd come check it out.

Welding aluminum, hmm... are you using a MIG welder?

I'm going to the RV show here in Portland tomorrow. Maybe Stan the Man will be there to ask about this. Nothing like getting help from the manufacturers for a used product.

Oh here's another thread with this same question:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3148/

Maybe it's too much work for me. Not too hard, but just another project, ugh. I'd rather be camping.

Here is one link http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3190/
The reborn hawk thread has pictures of a stripped frame.
I have a mig with a spool gun, I am more of a metal melter than welder. I noticed when I stripped my back wall there was a corner bracket screwed in to hold a couple pieces of tubing together, must have been done at the factory. I think you could get by with out welding. The frame was only welded on one side, that must be the flex frame that is advertised. Since you would be cutting down about two inches on each side there should be enough square tubing to put it back together. I used a cheap harbor freight air cut off tool to cut the siding and square tubing.

Thanks for sharing this info stone runner. I have a lead on a basically free Grandby, probably mid-80's. It will be a serious rebuild. I'm told the roof does not leak, canvas is okay, lifters work. The big problem will be cutting it down to fit my 60" tailgate opening. As the icing on the cake, I've never welded in my life, but a friend will loan me her welder so I'll learn in a hurry.

Now I just need to convince myself that I want to undertake such a project. I'm certainly capable of doing it, and have lots of free time, and do a lot of projects, but this one will need to be undertaken immediately since I can't even use the camper until it's chopped down to size.

Getting it home from the seller (3 hrs away) will be a minor challenge too :) I assume an elevated platform to get it to clear the bed rails will be sufficient. That and a lot of ratchet straps. Maybe I can scrounge up a flatbed trailer.

Can you help me price out the cost of a total overhaul?

Some aluminum framing, but you mentioned I could reuse nearly everything
Interior cabinetry
Any appliances needed
Water plumbing
New electrical
New canvas

What am I missing?

Also, stonerunner (or anyone else who's done this mod) I theoretically won't need to cut into any of the aluminum siding, right? It's all just wood lower and alum framing that needs modification, right? I'm plotting this thing in my head so I have some idea of the project before I buy this thing.

Can't help with your other questions, but some advice for welding aluminum:
Cleanliness is crucial. Use a stainless steel bristle wire brush (NOT a carbon steel bristle wire brush) to clean the metal bare to 1/2"-3/4" outboard of where you're planning to weld. I prefer those brushes about the size of a tooth brush for this job. Do this as the last step prior to picking up the welder's gun or torch. Resist the temptation to blow on it. Use a clean and dry 1" paint brush to remove any debris.
Aluminum dissipates heat at a high rate. Watch for things getting hot that you don't wish to get hot, and do not be afraid to turn up the heat. If it won't weld right, the usual reason is not enough heat. Turn it up and move!
If you use a MIG and it is not a "Spool Gun" then buy the special liner made specifically for aluminum. Do not run steel through that liner. Ever. If the wire is "rat's nesting" at the drive rollers then very likely you need a new liner.

What truck are you planning to put this on?

I guess I got lucky. Had an old Grandby in very good shape, but my old Power Wagon was not. Looked for the latest model truck that the camper would fit on and wound up with one of the best and very aFordable trucks out there.

Hope it works out for you.

Just got back from elk hunting, after the elk is cut up I'll work on posting some pictures. Never posted pictures so it will be a new experience.

The camper is 64" down the sides and in the back, so loading in the truck bed would be difficult. The camper would need to be lifted and hanging off the back a couple of feet. I loaded mine on a flat bed and slid it on.

The older model canvas has the foam insulation which had a tendacy to mold, it can be cut out. The older models have a horizontal propane tank which cost about $200, a smaller tank can be used, I enlarged the compartment for a standard BBQ size tank, there is just enough room to fit under the existing counter if the water fill tube is relocated.

The better the condition of the camper the less work. Mine has become a time pit, removed roof replaced insulation and replaced headliner, repaired cracks in metal roof. Rebuilt roof lifts, front bed board etc...

Back
Top Bottom