cylinder replacement question 95 10' CO

flyboykev

Advanced Member
hi all
This weekend I just lost a cylinder ( rear starboard ) sandwiched in the wall next to the Thetford Cassette toilet.

A year ago, I put a new o-ring on the top due to oil weeping out the top and no issues until this weekend where I discovered a serious leak coming into my cassette toilet rear compartment and dripping out the cassette door onto my tailgate.

Inspection inside yield no visible leaking around the top of the cylinder so I assume the bottom or sides blew out which happened before to one of my other 1" cylinders.

A year ago I bought 3 new 1" OEM cylinders from Alaskan Camper and replaced them but not this one due to the difficult access location so I just resealed it top and bottom.

Now I have to replace it but don't have a clue how to tear apart the nice wood paneling to access it.
The camper top is lowered as well making this more difficult.

First thought is to cut a long rectangular opening on the inside wall of the toilet area to access the cylinder and after its replaced, I will make a panel cover using velcro for later inspections.

see attached photo of last O-ring replacementView attachment 28710 showing location and surrounding paneling.

Anyone encounter this replacement before?

thank you

Attachments

• toilet cylinder.jpg
    toilet cylinder.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 86
I hope you have fixed this by now. I had one go in the same place as yours while in the Baja. Not that bad of a job really, at least that what I can say now but sure looked bad then. My paneling was nailed on with small nails so was fairly easy to remove even with the top down as mine came fully apart and would not lift, I didn't realize that I had a problem until most of my oil was on the floor. A local gentleman was able to solder mine back together and I was on my way the same afternoon. My cylinder are the larger ones with an electric pump so I think they take more oil and of course it was everywhere. I replaced it when I got home and now have a spare cylinder and o-rings so I will probably never have to worry about it again.

sorry for the late reply
yes I bought a new cylinder and removed the Thetford cassette toilet plus its wiring and replaced it.
I thought about cutting the paneling and put an access cover over it for ease of inspection / replacement but was rushed for time to get back on the road so far so good!

Back
Top Bottom