daily drivers

jw

Contributors
hello all-

I was wondering how many of you put your camper on your daily driver. Also, are there people out there that leave campers on full time? Thanks-----jw

My Hawk is mounted on my daily driver (2004 Tundra DC) and hasn't been removed since I picked it up in July '08.

mtn

My truck is my daily driver, but I don't leave the Grandby on full time. I'd estimate it's on about 50 ~ 60% of the time.

My truck used to be my daily driver, but not anymore... even so, the camper is only on when we need to use it as the truck is used often as a truck for hauling other stuff.

Kyle

Like Kyle my truck is not my daily driver but is used for hauling and around the house stuff. I put the camper on when we're going to use it.

Back in early 90's the Fleet model was on full time and the daily driver. The Ranger FWC was put on early 2001 and only came off once to fit in the shops garage to repair the bumper.

About the same time getting the Ranger I got a daily driver. And so it became a recreation vehicle that is housed in the garage waiting for vacations.

On full time and has never been off. Lucky for me my brother has a truck I can use when I need to haul stuff.

I pull my camper off in the winter, from Dec-April, just because we're not likely to travel much in the unpredictable snowy weather. By April, we're usually itching to go somewhere...

My truck has been my daily driver for the better part of the last several years. I've bought a few other vehicles for the sole purpose of being a DD, to give the truck a break. But none really did it for me, so I sold them off. Last year I acquired my dream 4x4 - a Toyota FJ60 Landcruiser, for the purpose of doing some more technical trails on local day runs, when the truck & camper would be overkill. It has also become my DD, as it is just so much fun to drive.

Not one to leave well enough alone, I added a top of the line roof top tent and an Engel fridge to the Cruiser. I figure if I ever become lost or broken down in the middle of nowhere, I'll at least be comfortable until I can resolve the problem. It will never replace our truck & FWC combo for long trips but it's great for exploring Wyoming, more in-depth. As I explained to some folks, the truck & FWC is like my rifle, for long range targets, while the Cruiser is like a pistol, for short range targets. Best of both worlds IMO...

My 1985 Toyota FJ60 Landcruiser -
Cruiser+003.jpg

Cruiser+024.jpg

My camper is on my daily driver, it rarely comes off. My daily commute is minimal so not really a factor MPG wise.

Besides, I get antsy when it's off, I hate the feeling of not being able to take off at a moments notice!

My rig is my daily driver. Have not had the camper off since I had it built. My logic is/was that if I use it at least once a month it would stay on.

marc

My truck isn't my daily driver and the FWC has stayed on full-time since I got it. I expect it will have to come off at some point for hauling stuff, but I've been good at procrastinating on the larger home improvement projects so far.

DD without the camper

it takes me now about 30 minutes to mount / un-mount the camper, so I prefer to take it down. With the loaded camper I get about 17 mi/gal, without it about 21+. So for me it's worth it to take it down. At the end we use the camper about once a month, so it's not a big deal putting it back on.

I drive my Tundra & FWC combo daily. Love the additional weight in the winter, it really made a difference in the snow. A great thing about having it on my daily driver is naps during lunch.....I try and get a nap a couple times per week, climb in and lay down on the couch with a pillow and blanket....ahhh.....

Thats another thing. My truck rode rough, I mean really rough before I put the camper on. It rides much better with the weight in the rear now. Plus I tend to make spur of the moment camping decisions. Be much harder if I had to put camper every time.

JW,

We have a Hawk on a 2000 Tundra. The camper stays on all the time and the truck is my daily driver to work and do chores. The mileage isn't great, about 11 city and 13 highway. However, my commute is only seven miles one way and we camp at least once and usually twice a month. We also have the advantage of being in a warm enough climate to camp year round. A final bonus is our second vehicle is also a truck. So when we need to haul something, we don't need to remove the camper to do so. Not sure if you have all or any of these options, but these conveniences are why we do not remove the camper from the truck.

Mine was a DD for 2 or 3 thousand miles. I find it easy enough to drive with the camper on full time. I have factory tow mirrors that rock.

Back
Top Bottom