daily drivers

Truck is not the daily driver (have a smaller commuter car that gets 36mpg for that chore) and the camper stays on full time. I have a 4x8 utility trailer that I hitch up if I need to head to the hardware store currently. Bigger projects I could either take it off or go borrow my buddies older F250 which is just sitting idle while he's overseas this year.

thanks for all the replies- my truck mileage is okay as a dd, but the plan is to get a commuter car. it will make things way easier in a lot of ways. in about an hour i'm starting my trip south to get my eagle---------

To be honest, when you factor in extra insurance, license and maintenance, having a high mpg commuter car only starts saving me money when gas gets to about $3 per gallon, but it does have lower emissions than the truck, and I can live with that.

Oh boy, a new Eagle! Congrats! Looking forward to the pics!

To be honest, when you factor in extra insurance, license and maintenance, having a high mpg commuter car only starts saving me money when gas gets to about $3 per gallon, but it does have lower emissions than the truck, and I can live with that.

Convince is part of it too. We picked up our "go cart" (00' Toyota Echo) for a few grand a year or so back (gas was $4.30 then and it really made sense but we still like having it) and its easy to zip that car around traffic, etc. compared to a truck. We keep work out gear in the car, etc. so it sees the daily wear and tear while the truck rests and ideally stays primed to roll for fun on the drop of a dime. In our case with 60+ miles a day in driving in larger metropolitan area commuting traffic I'd prefer this option. If my commute was only 10mi a day across town with low traffic I'd have to reconsider.

For years I had another truck as a DD so the FWC stayed on full time. Alas little boys grow up & since we be poor folk I gave my other truck to my son when he got his license last year. I have the camper on my truck now & still use it for work daily but I have a few different trailers around to haul stuff as needed. I haven't decided yet if I'll take it off when we're not using it - the pros would be it is lighter without the camper & I wouldn't have to tow a trailer so often - the cons would be it wouldn't be on there when I want to take off once or twice a month even in winter, & because mine is an older one with only 1\2'' clearence at the sides of the bed rails & also because I boxxed in the area in front of the wheel wells for more dry storage it's a PITA to get on & off the truck

Posted in past (trip report) we drive a 03 Toyota Echo 5speed.

Surprising how much trunk space the little go carts have isn't it.

Pods8,we made the storage area even better.I removed the back seat that leaves the space open between trunk and cabin,took out the two cross pieces this left the whole area open,then built a platform and covered it when matching grey indoor/outdoor carpet and mounted it to existing seat mounting spots,then cut a plywood frame to fit the area around the rear seat opening which then i attached a piece of carpet with snaps that i can unsnap which give me a complete open space just like a hatch back!
With this set up we can go tent camping with room for everything!
We do not miss the back seat as this gives us a great excuse not to haul other people around!Selfish but that how it is!
Sometime i'll post a picture of mod.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers

Cool. On the excuse front its not like that backseat is great for hauling people anyways (not as bad as some cars but not great). That car is a great size for two people and a ton of gear.

What kind of mpg's are you pulling with the 5 speed? Ours is an auto version and commuting in the carpool lane 60mi every day we get about 36. I have a feeling if we were at constant speed the whole time we could push it up a bit higher though. You over 40 with the manual?

Camper on camper off

I do most camping late fall, winter and early spring,less dust for Quad riding.I remove or install the camper for each trip,takes less than an hour total and use my truck rest of the time.I do not commute to work so that is a plus,retirement is good.

Anyone take their camper on/off via an overhead winch as opposed to jacks? That would seem to be one easy way, pull in, hook up the corners, lift it a few inches, drive away.

Anyone take their camper on/off via an overhead winch as opposed to jacks? That would seem to be one easy way, pull in, hook up the corners, lift it a few inches, drive away.

If I had a large pole barn with the frame work to support it (I'd be in heaven!!!) I'd think about it. ;)

I don't remove the camper. It is on there always. I sometimes use my truck to go to work and it goes with me (not a long commute). I bought the truck to specifically be my 4WC vehicle.

If I had a large pole barn with the frame work to support it (I'd be in heaven!!!) I'd think about it. ;)

I've got the room and am contemplating framing something up, store the FWC and get some shade for the truck.

I was toying with this idea for a while.

Attachments

• gantry.jpg
    gantry.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 171
I looked at those at Harbor Freight, near $600 but I wasn't sure it was tall enough? I'll measure sometime. Of course I'd then go out and get the truck lefted and it wouldn't fit any more.

Back
Top Bottom