Deadbolt recall notice

captainphx

I received a recall notice for the deadbolt on my 2012 FWC Raven back in March. I have yet to receive my new deadbolt. Has anyone else received this recall and have you received your new deadbolt? The recall is NHTSA #13E039. I have been in contact with the mfgr of the deadbolt, and at this time they do not have any idea when they will be able to deliver. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. Below is a copy.

I received a recall notice from NHTSA. Recall # 13E039. I called in to Fastec Industrial Corp, a division of WESCO Distribution, Inc. on 3/28/2014. They told me it would be 5-6 weeks before I received my new lock. I called them again on 5/19/2014. They said they were so busy answering the phone concerning this recall, that they have little time to actually send out the new locks. They told me that if I had not received it by the end of May, that I should call back. I called back on 6/23/2014. I was told again, that they are too busy answering phone calls about this recall that they cannot get these locks sent out in a timely manner. I asked for a new estimate of when I would receive the lock. I was told that they now have no idea when it will come.

I got the notice a few months ago buy my serial number wasn't affected

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I don't have a FWC, ATC instead. What is the problem with the deadbolt that it's recalled?
Frank
According to the recall notice, if the key is removed while at the 9 o'clock position, occupants on the inside may not be able to unlock the door. My deadbolt is affected.

My unit was among the recalled locks. I made a claim within the first few days and have not received a replacement or any response at all from the manufacturer.

Tony said:
My unit was among the recalled locks. I made a claim within the first few days and have not received a replacement or any response at all from the manufacturer.
I encourage all to file a complaint with NHTSA for recall #13E039.

I also have an affected deadbolt set, and applied for a new set via the internet since I did not get a recall as I'm a second owner of my 2012 Hawk. No word or receipt of the replacements yet either. Gave up using them and only use the large deadbolt.

Well, I just called Fastec again today. I told them I filed a complaint. Suddenly they wanted all my info again. They said they'd send it right out. We'll see. I'll let everyone know.

Been outa town. Just got back. My new deadbolts came while I was away. Will install and post the results.

photo.JPG

Just removed my '10 Hawk deadbolt to see. Mine is made in tiawan #G2409 . Happily, mine wasn't one?

Persistence paid off in your case Captainphx...way to go! Although, my Black Headed Key is stamped with the key code, HF315, when I lock my door and rotate the key to the 9 o'clock position, I cannot remove the key. I tried this several times, with locking both locks, just one lock, and over again...and again. I cannot remove my key when in the 9 o'clock position. So, I am assuming my lock set is OK.

Well, I got the new deadbolts installed. The directions were a little off. It was somewhat difficult, but not too bad. One lock came out easily, but went in with difficulty. The other, just the opposite.

Well I feel like screaming... got the bottom lock out but the top ....with a lot of time wiggling it finally turns blue key to horizontal ... but... the darn thing won't come out. I do not want to snap the key in there and be locked out of the camper. What a pain in the a&%.
Any magic techniques? ARGH.

Well .... after an hour of meditation and a litany of curses ...I have prevailed. No magic needed... WD40 and a lot of wiggling.
May this not happen again.
the end

Completely forgot about this until I got home yesterday and there were the new lock-cores/key in mail. I'll get them installed over the weekend. Seems very similar to installing Yakima lock cores...knock on wood.

Yeah, been trying to figure out why a set of keys and tumblers showed up a couple of days ago. Now I know why. Guess I'll swap them out.

Got lucky and both cores came right out. I lubed up the replacements with dry film lube and popped them right in. Couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes.

Mine came this week after initially contacting the company online back in April. Removal and installation was rather easy but I think they have the upper and lower locks mixed up in the directions. Lock operation is not as smooth as before and it takes some maneuvering to get the key to enter the new locks. I think this might be because the face of the old locks had a concave depression that helped guide and align the key whereas the face of the new locks is completely flat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom