Death Valley Feb or March?

Rob in MT

Planning on a trip to Death valley. I've read that late March is best for weather and flowers, however it is also the most crowded. Is it really that crowded, so much so that the end of February would be a better time to go? Being so close to such large population areas I would think it can get quite crowded. We plan on visting all areas of the park. Thanks for your help.

I don't think "Death Valley crowded" equates to let's say a "Yosemite crowded". I think you will find that park roads and the easily visited paved road side attractions will be more crowded but you will always be able to find a nice secluded place to boondock at the end of the day. I defintely wouldn't let that scare you away, from what I've seen the majority of DV visitors don't venture far off the beaten path and IMO the best stuff to see is off the beaten path!

Ave temp in Feb 73, March 82 (March 1 ave 78, March 31 86). I prefer January or February and am tentatively planning on going in a few weeks from now. All boondocking recommendations welcome.

The nights are cold with possibility of more rain and snow in January and early February. Early March is my vote. Later in the season the more the snow melts in the high passes also. Plenty of room in DV. While you will stop at some common spots on the paved routes, the dirt routes are wide open. Easy to spend 2 weeks there with a different destination each day. You might plan on changing locations a few times. It is a long ways between destinations within the park, you might not realize just how big that place it until you drive it yourself.

I would split the trip into 3 or 4 zones, say north, south, west, and east, and move through them in an orderly fashion. You will save a lot of gas and drive time over the same main access routes. You can build a few very long loops. Note that Titus Canyon is one way. There are specific camping rules that apply regarding distance from certain roads or any road that you need to study. The main campgrounds are usually full but you might find the odd cancellation especially in the tenting areas. Some restuarants and facilities near StovePipe Wells and Furnace Creek. Can get water, RV dump, and bathrooms there for mid trip services.

I've been going to DV for 50 years, since I was a boy with my parents. All times of year, outside the hot summer months are great. I enjoy the winter especially for the snowy passes. We're headed to Saline Hot Springs in a week, staying a few days.

K7 is correct, to see it all you need at least two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom