Death Valley Flash Flooding

pvstoy

Noticed that Death Valley has been impacted by flash flooding today

https://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

PARK CLOSURES

Multiple Roads Closed due to Storm
Sections of Hwy 190, and North Highway (Scotty's Castle Rd), Lower Wildrose Rd, Dantes View and Badwater are closed due to flooding and debris. It is likely that additional roads are impassable. Closures subject to change with changing conditions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/roads-death-valley-national-park-closed-flash-flood-rcna41024

DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — Some roads in and out of Death Valley National Park have been closed after they were inundated over the weekend with mud and debris from flash floods that also hit western Nevada and northern Arizona hard.
Officials on Sunday provided no estimate on when the roads around Death Valley would be reopened.
Motorists were also urged to avoid Southern California’s Mojave National Preserve after flooding buckled pavement on some roads. The rain also prompted closures of highways and campgrounds elsewhere, but no injuries were reported.
The storms produced torrential downpours and the National Weather Service reported that more than an inch of rain fell in 15 minutes Sunday near Kingman, Arizona, which is close to the state line with California.

220801-death-valley-national-park-se-348p-ca25dd.jpg
The damaged intersection of Kelbacker Road and Mojave Road in the Mojave National Preserve, Calif., on July 31, 2022.National Park Service via AP

"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

ski3pin said:
I expect that many backcountry roads have damage. We will need to watch carefully on next season's wanderings.
Yup. I expect we will shift to eastern Nevada and Utah this September. Though there has been flooding in those areas as well.

That was amusing. I imagine it is just the number of roads and not enough park employees to mark them all. I'm sure I could also have made it through but August? I'm not getting anywhere near DV in August.

That was a funny video. Also funny how adventurous the europeans are. Or clueless. Maybe both, haha.

We are planning on baja in 10 days - for 3 weeks. Im wondering about the impacts of the current hurricane.

steve

Here is backcountry road information I'm copying and pasting from another forum-

"So today ( Sept 28), I talked to Richard Farabee, owner of Farabee's Jeep Rental at Furnace Creek. He is actively checking out roads and trails to see what is passable (legally of course) for his guests. I asked for his permission to report what he found.

So far he had made it to Racetrack Playa in one of their Jeeps (before they recently declared it shut it down so its not legal to drive it any longer, fyi) but nevertheless, it has areas where no road is visible. Only 4x4 passable.

Lost Burro mine to Teakettle section on way to Hunter Mountain has no visible road any longer, it's gone. Good news though is that the bad sand section has filled in and hardened into clay.

Lippincott Rd/Pass is fortunately in tact and passable with a few areas more tricky than usual. Toward bottom at Saline Valley end, it's a mess and quite rough. Figure much longer to do the road.

Echo Canyon and Hole in the Wall are hard closure with concrete barriers blocking.

Chloride City and hills around it are intact but the really steep hill climb/decend area is more exposed and higher pucker factor now. Also the back way in and out to Nevada from Chloride area was passable but watch for deep ruts across road that catch you off guard. Also, as of now you can't get to start of trail from Daylight Pass, you can only come in from Nevada side on the backcountry road.

Goler wash is still unknown at this point, but since it starts on private land it may not get reported accurately. In other words, NPS can't close it down, as there is private land up there, such as Meyer's Ranch. So you could get up there thinking it shows open, but it could be a mess, and Mengel Pass is beyond the private residence so it could be washed out. Richard may be checking the route this week and I'll report here if I hear from him.

Cottonwood Canyon trail, which is near Stovepipe Wells is a complete mess up further into narrow section. It's all closed now.

I hear that Cerro Gordo road is somewhat passable and up and over to the backside and out to Saline Valley where you could get back to 190 to avoid the closure to the west.

Richard says that he sees Cal Trans crews working like mad to open 190. Every machine they have has an operator in it.

Gas at Furnace Creek is just under $9 /gal and expected to rise , so gas up outside of park or hit Stovepipe Wells."

Although not in Death Valley, this video illustrates what hit southern California. This water came out of the southern slopes of the San Bernardino Mountains.

We sure are glad we did our 'all around death valley' excursion last spring. It may be years before we can get into places we easily visited then. Glad to hear the dust bowl between Hunter Mountain and Teakettle is better now. A small silver lining in a chaotic, wild place!

Quite the video, Ski! I know you’re familiar with the area, Forest Falls was hit quite heavily, as usual. But Crestline also had major flooding. We just moved to an area close to Conejo Creek and am currently studying flow history for the area. 100-year flood events are now becoming 20-year events.

Back
Top Bottom