Death valley information

dorocks

My boy and I decided to go to Death Valley February 16th through the weekend. Have never been there before.

I was wondering if the fuel stations in the park have diesel? I am a new Dodge diesel owner and don't want to get stranded.

Also if you experienced Death Valley types have any suggestions to make my trip better, let me know. Special places?

Will be going in the Dodge Ram with a Hawk FWC.
http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Offroading/2005-Dodge-Ram-2500-Diesel/14848706_7sTdV#1107789012_8niGk

Keith and Ian Barnes
La Mesa CA

If you do Titus Canyon you may as well do Ubehebe Crater and then head to the Racetrack which is a must see...camping is nearby at Homestake Dry Camp. You could drop into Saline from there via Lippincott or return the way you came. A drive up to Aguerreberry Point or Dante's View is always worth the time, the views are pretty spectacular. There is way too much to see so you will need to pick and choose to suit your needs.

It will be the busiest weekend of the year at Saline as it is the Prez Weekend Softball game. Anne and I and our son Michael and Fiddlin' Phil Salazar will be there.

In your Dodge (like mine) you have 38 gallons of fuel at 18 mpg gets you a range of 680 miles. You could drive every last road in DV including the dirt ones and not get stranded.

Stew, yes, agreed. It is much easier from the Death Valley side.

Entering via Goler Wash is much more fun and closer for us who live to the west.

For the original poster, I assume he would be already in DV, so entering from the east would be best for him.

Stew, yes, agreed. It is much easier from the Death Valley side.

Entering via Goler Wash is much more fun and closer for us who live to the west.

For the original poster, I assume he would be already in DV, so entering from the east would be best for him.

I am currently trying to assimilate the ideas. I have been looking at the maps on these pages, specifically Routes from Las Vegas

http://www.nps.gov/deva/upload/Routes%20from%20Las%20Vegas.pdf

I am currently trying to assimilate the ideas. I have been looking at the maps on these pages, specifically Routes from Las Vegas

http://www.nps.gov/deva/upload/Routes%20from%20Las%20Vegas.pdf

But you are coming from La Mesa,no? If you want to enter through the south east end of DV, there is nice camping at the "T" in the road (assuming you are wild camping as opposed to the crowded campgrounds) just to the east 1/2 mle of Saratoga Springs. Next day take the Henry Wade road into DV. Once you hit pavement you can go west to Butte Valley or north into DV for the usual tourist attractions. Nice wild camping can be had in any of the canyons along West Side Road, Hole in The Wall Canyon, Cottonwood Canyon etc. If you son is quite young, he may have more fun camping at either of the campgrounds near Furnace Creek Ranch.

If you want to grand overview/super-duper adventure tour and you don't mind driving: Enter via Henry Wade Road in the south, drive north through DV seeing all the sights, go to Ubehebe Crater, on to The Race Track, take Lippincott Road down into Saline Valley and the Hot Springs (soft ball game on Sunday), leave via South Pass and then through Panamint Valley and on home. I'll be the guy at Saline with the ATC on a white Dodge CTD and a fiddle in my hands.

Gene

But you are coming from La Mesa,no? If you want to enter through the south east end of DV, there is nice camping at the "T" in the road (assuming you are wild camping as opposed to the crowded campgrounds) just to the east 1/2 mle of Saratoga Springs. Next day take the Henry Wade road into DV. Once you hit pavement you can go west to Butte Valley or north into DV for the usual tourist attractions. Nice wild camping can be had in any of the canyons along West Side Road, Hole in The Wall Canyon, Cottonwood Canyon etc. If you son is quite young, he may have more fun camping at either of the campgrounds near Furnace Creek Ranch.

If you want to grand overview/super-duper adventure tour and you don't mind driving: Enter via Henry Wade Road in the south, drive north through DV seeing all the sights, go to Ubehebe Crater, on to The Race Track, take Lippincott Road down into Saline Valley and the Hot Springs (soft ball game on Sunday), leave via South Pass and then through Panamint Valley and on home. I'll be the guy at Saline with the ATC on a white Dodge CTD and a fiddle in my hands.

Gene

My boy is 25 and unemployed. So I figured we might as well have some fun. I take it we would come in from Baker on 127? It took me a bit to get my bearings. Since we ski a lot and go up 395, we have seen umpteen signs saying this way to Death Valley. I never actually mapped it out. Are most of the roads accessible with a 4wd dodge truck?

My boy is 25 and unemployed. So I figured we might as well have some fun. I take it we would come in from Baker on 127? It took me a bit to get my bearings. Since we ski a lot and go up 395, we have seen umpteen signs saying this way to Death Valley. I never actually mapped it out. Are most of the roads accessible with a 4wd dodge truck?

You can enter from any direction. I mentioned Harry Wade Road since you were looking at entries from Las Vegas. Yes, you'd enter from 127 north of Baker.

There is not a single road in all of DV that your Dodge can not easily handle except the South Park bridge which will not support your weight.

Check out the China Ranch in Tecopa for some sweets.

http://www.chinaranch.com/

Also, there are some very impressive mines around there.

Check out the China Ranch in Tecopa for some sweets.

http://www.chinaranch.com/

Also, there are some very impressive mines around there.

Neat place, my Dad used to live in Pahrump we would go quite often. Hotsprings nearby in Tecopa too!

Neat place, my Dad used to live in Pahrump we would go quite often. Hotsprings nearby in Tecopa too!

SunMan, You going to Saline for Prez Day weekend?

Negative Gene, sounds like a good time though. I've got four days off and not sure what the plans are yet.

Thanks to all who gave us ideas. My son went and got a map at AAA that was quite detailed and very useful. I also printed out the BLM/National Park maps. We have been looking up the spots mentioned. We will do our best to see what we can in 5 days. I am sure my camera will get a workout. Getting new tires today. The tires on the used Dodge are not great.

There is not a single road in all of DV that your Dodge can not easily handle except the South Park bridge which will not support your weight.

The South Park Bridge, aka The 3000 lb Bridge, is just past Briggs' Camp on the South Park Road coming from Ballarat. I think it would be difficult getting a full sized pickup up the steep, narrow road before the bridge and maybe even to Briggs' Camp itself. A better way to get a big truck to South Park would be to take Pleasant Canyon Road and drive south to South Park through Middle Park. Expect to lose some paint in Pleasant Canyon, though. From South Park you can even get a view of Butte Valley and the Striped Butte from above.

Thanks to all who gave us ideas. My son went and got a map at AAA that was quite detailed and very useful. I also printed out the BLM/National Park maps. We have been looking up the spots mentioned. We will do our best to see what we can in 5 days. I am sure my camera will get a workout. Getting new tires today. The tires on the used Dodge are not great.

Yes, DoRocks, the AAA map is quite good. Another good map for DV is the one printed by National Geographic plus the park prints a free one called Death Valley: Backcountry Roads.

Back
Top Bottom