Death Valley National Park - December 2016

Ski - it was reading your previous TR on Death Valley that convinced this Easterner and his wife to explore DV last February for the first time flying out to LV and renting an SUV and camping in our tent...

We have since bought our Hallmark and in discussing our upcoming retirement we have placed a long exploration of DV high on our list of places to explore further. Thank you for sharing your reports with us.

The funny thing is when you try and explain the beauty of DV to other Easterners they look at us like like we must have spent too much time in the sun....

Can't wait for part four!

smlobx said:
The funny thing is when you try and explain the beauty of DV to other Easterners they look at us like like we must have spent too much time in the sun....
I get this type of response from most people, even residents of California.

I think this report is one of the best of DV trips you have reported.
The camel tracks wow! And the sliver of moon,doesn't get any better IMO.
Ski you always take us on such incredible journeys keep traveling and posting.
Thanks.
Frank

"Horses, sheep, and camels, oh my!" Very interesting report, Ski. I agree- a great start to the new year. Enjoyed your photography as usual. Nice that we can travel around with you guys and see such interesting country. We will have to get out that way soon.

Fantastic photography. Grab shot of the Golden Eagle is amazing. Thanks!!

Another great trip report series. I'm thinking that it is becoming time for your book to be published. What do you say? :)

"Death Valley Explorations: Appreciation of Natural Treasures of the Desert Southwest via Camper, Foot, and Camera" by the Ski3Pin team.
Chapters on Photography, Petroglyphs and Pictographs, Geology, Plant and animal studies, History, Fossil features, Archeology, Pop-up camping, food, and interesting hikes*.

*Location of certain sites and features left as a further research exercise for the dedicated reader

Paul

Yet another in a long series of stellar TRs. Many thanks for sharing.

I'm normally not a big wildlife or rock art guy, but your enthusiasm, that of The Lady, and that of the Spiders is infectious.

Being a rockhead at heart, if not by W-2, the camel tracks are really exciting. If I follow the descriptions and pics correctly, you were able to trace the tracks up and/or down some irregularities in the original bedding surfaces, much like a modern day streamside point bar where there is a cut or slump in the deposit and the critter would have to step up. Having done so, the tracks along an non-horizontal surface were then preserved by deposition of a fresh (and quickly following) layer of sediment over the entire irregular surface.

Looks like the rock or outcrop with the black streaks in a tan groundmass is obsidian streaks through a tuff? Hard to tell--can't see if the black material is hard and glassy or soft and glossy, like asphalt/tar streaks.

Great, great stuff!

Foy

Have you ever tried to find the Barnyard or was that it? We tried for a permit later this month but apparently didn't get one. Headed down anyway for a day or so on our way to Baja.

Edgewood said:
Death Valley is a place like no other. Thanks for taking me along.

You two get after it like a dog after a squirrel.
You gave us a wonderful chuckle, thanks! :)

Bill D said:
I haven't followed your personal life, but given your experience it sounds like you could open up a casual business as a guide. I'd love to take a trip with you and share in your knowledge and experiences.
Thanks for your nice comment. We are asked about guiding or leading trips all the time. The Lady teaches school and has personal contact with over 250 children everyday. In retirement she is looking forward to a less crowded environment. Our adventures together have been the perfect R&R for her and we'll keep it up until the coyotes and ravens make use of our remains. As a energetic skilled outdoors women, she is recruited to lead woman outdoors adventures, but has no interest. She does so enjoy the adventures she takes close friends on and that's where we'll leave it, small groups of personal friends. Having several friends that guide and one close friend who with soon lead international outdoor adventures, we are well aware of all the work it takes in planning, permitting, insurance, liability. Oh my goodness.

GroovyDad said:
Well, you all have made me jealous once again.

I was curious as to how the different colored pictographs were made. I queried the Internet and found this:

"Paint for rock art was made by mixing ground-up [/size]pigments such as hematite, limonite, or charcoal with an organic [/size]binder such as blood, animal fat, egg white, fish oil, or plant oil." [/size]

Is that how you think the D.V. pictographs were made? I just always assumed they were etched in somehow.

Looking forward to part Dos...
Good research GroovyDad! Petroglyphs are the more common pecked into rock rock art. Pictographs are the painted on rock art form. Red and black are the probably the most common colors. Next would come white and we are really hitting the jackpot if we encounter greens and yellows. So part of the puzzle is investigating the source of the pigments used. At some pictographs site small mortars in the rock are found where the minerals were ground to use for colors. Pretty neat stuff. Thanks for your kind comments!

Ronin said:
Great pics!! My 1st trip to Death Valley was in the early 80s in my old VW bus that barely made it to Dante's view in 1st gear. I have made several trips back there since and have to say it is my favorite place to explore. I picked up Michel Digonnet's "Hiking Death Valley" a few years ago and have found it to be an incredible resource for exploring the area. I've hiked several amazing canyon's and narrows thanks to this guide. If you don't already have it , I highly recommend it.
Ronin, Digonnet's guidebooks are stellar. a must have. Another great online source is Jim Boone's website -

http://www.birdandhike.com/Areas/DEVA_Area/_DEVA_toc.htm

longhorn1 said:
Great History. Enjoyed the links; they really added to your TR. jd
Delving into history adds so much to our adventures. Thanks John!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
What a great encounter with the ram asleep. So nice to see these animals around. We never tire of seeing them on out outings.
That Tarantula sighting must have been a big surprise.
Waiting for next part.
Thanks
Frank
so was the second one! :)

smlobx said:
Ski - it was reading your previous TR on Death Valley that convinced this Easterner and his wife to explore DV last February for the first time flying out to LV and renting an SUV and camping in our tent...

We have since bought our Hallmark and in discussing our upcoming retirement we have placed a long exploration of DV high on our list of places to explore further. Thank you for sharing your reports with us.

Can't wait for part four!
It makes our day when someone is inspired to visit and explore the wonders that are out there!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I think this report is one of the best of DV trips you have reported.
The camel tracks wow! And the sliver of moon,doesn't get any better IMO.
Ski you always take us on such incredible journeys keep traveling and posting.
Thanks.
Frank
As always Frank, thanks so much for your supportive comments to our trip stories. :)

PaulT said:
Another great trip report series. I'm thinking that it is becoming time for your book to be published. What do you say? :)

"Death Valley Explorations: Appreciation of Natural Treasures of the Desert Southwest via Camper, Foot, and Camera" by the Ski3Pin team.
Chapters on Photography, Petroglyphs and Pictographs, Geology, Plant and animal studies, History, Fossil features, Archeology, Pop-up camping, food, and interesting hikes*.

*Location of certain sites and features left as a further research exercise for the dedicated reader

Paul
How kind Paul, thank you. The Lady really enjoyed your comment. Looks like we need a project manager and editor and such. In the meantime we're going to continue to get out there and have fun. :)

Foy said:
Yet another in a long series of stellar TRs. Many thanks for sharing.

I'm normally not a big wildlife or rock art guy, but your enthusiasm, that of The Lady, and that of the Spiders is infectious.

Being a rockhead at heart, if not by W-2, the camel tracks are really exciting. If I follow the descriptions and pics correctly, you were able to trace the tracks up and/or down some irregularities in the original bedding surfaces, much like a modern day streamside point bar where there is a cut or slump in the deposit and the critter would have to step up. Having done so, the tracks along an non-horizontal surface were then preserved by deposition of a fresh (and quickly following) layer of sediment over the entire irregular surface.

Looks like the rock or outcrop with the black streaks in a tan groundmass is obsidian streaks through a tuff? Hard to tell--can't see if the black material is hard and glassy or soft and glossy, like asphalt/tar streaks.

Great, great stuff!

Foy
Foy, your comments on the camel tracks are right on. The size of the exposed bed with tracks was about twice the size of our dining table. Finding it was, as they say, like finding a needle in a haystack. You have made me quite curious about the "Tiger rock" as Mom and the Lady called it. I'll have to go back, maybe when you make a trip out to DVNP? Perhaps work on turning you into a rock art guy? :)

kmcintyre said:
Have you ever tried to find the Barnyard or was that it? We tried for a permit later this month but apparently didn't get one. Headed down anyway for a day or so on our way to Baja.
Yes we have and highly recommend a visit. Only way to see it is on one of the three small paleontology tours offered. The DVNP website states the lottery for the Feb. 11, 2017 tour is open from Jan. 13 - 15. The camel tracks we visited are not in the closed area.

ski3pin said:
Foy, your comments on the camel tracks are right on. The size of the exposed bed with tracks was about twice the size of our dining table. Finding it was, as they say, like finding a needle in a haystack. You have made me quite curious about the "Tiger rock" as Mom and the Lady called it. I'll have to go back, maybe when you make a trip out to DVNP? Perhaps work on turning you into a rock art guy? :)
The exploration geologist still within me likes the idea of looking for most anything which is inherently hard to find. That may well include rock art in the future.

"Sigh", when might I (we) get out to DV? No way to tell, but since it's nearly 3,000 miles and we're still 5-6 years or several deceased relatives from retiring, I don't suppose it'll be any time soon. We ARE looking to get down to Big Bend country in about 10 months. It's a mere 1,875 miles from home base.

I'd have to say that, from what I've read up on, the geology within Big Bend National Park and neighboring Big Bend Ranch State Park might be a fairly close second to that within DVNP.

Maybe we just need to do a fly-n-drive to DVNP, following Eddie's lead.

Foy

Grand Whazoo said:
Very very nice, there's nothing like the sound of nothing to pull us to the wide open spaces. And talk about wide open spaces! One picture of stone looks man made, but maybe it's just my eyes. Common theory has it that horses were not around until the Spanish brought them over but who knows how old those pictographs are or if in fact horses were or weren't on this continent before the European "introduced" them. It's all interesting and exciting to think about. What a great place to explore. Waiting for #2. Thanks for this TR!
The Surprising History of America's Wild Horses

Foy said:
<snjp>

"Sigh", when might I (we) get out to DV? No way to tell, but since it's nearly 3,000 miles and we're still 5-6 years or several deceased relatives from retiring, I don't suppose it'll be any time soon. We ARE looking to get down to Big Bend country in about 10 months. It's a mere 1,875 miles from home base.

I'd have to say that, from what I've read up on, the geology within Big Bend National Park and neighboring Big Bend Ranch State Park might be a fairly close second to that within DVNP.

<snip>
Foy, Big Bend ought you give you a great trip! We will be looking forward to your report on the treasures you find. We certainly understand that 3000 miles is a long long distance and that doesn't count getting back home! :) I suspect you will be leading some great trips in the future when your little Foys start discovering geology!

Awesome report Ski! Your best work yet.

Nice find on the fossil footprints, found some myself in the Mojave north of Barstow. You just need to be able to read the rocks and they'll point you in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom