Death Valley National Park - December 2020

All we know is that we always feel better when surrounded by dolomite. :)

craig333 said:
Love the color in the canyons. One thing our guide mentioned in Panamint was the dolomite mine nearby had "medical grade" dolomite. Whatever that means :)

Wandering Sagebrush said:

PaulT said:
Me, too.
Tums in the wild.
Low amounts of toxic metals, apparently.
For use after that spicy BBQ burro, I guess.
:p
Paul

Wango said:
Thank You Mr. Ski!
DVNP was a possible destination for us for the next two weeks. While we are sad that our plans have changed, it was great to see more of the area through your travels.
Yup, I know Julie & I will be vicariously traveling and exploring through photos and research during the coming weeks. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I remain a tempered optimist. :)

Thanks for the kind comment, wango!

Thanks for part 3.Another great and informative trip.
Is that the waning moon in the sunrise picture?

Beautiful color in the canyon rocks.

Here to the east of Salinas just under Fremont's Peak
is a large formation of the Dolomite that the Kaiser Permanete Co
mined for many years. The Dolomite was taken to their plant
in Moss Landing and made into "fire brick".The plant/mine closed many years ago.
The building in Moss Landing is still there and the "white scar" on the mine can be seen
in the hills east of Salinas.

Nice to get one last good trip in at years end.
Frank

Another great TR, Mr. Ski and Lady!

I've been talking up a trip around Hunter with SR for a while. We've passed through, but didn't explore enough.
Those petros and pictographs, especially are spectacular. It's been on our short list.

Lighthawk said:
Another great TR, Mr. Ski and Lady!

I've been talking up a trip around Hunter with SR for a while. We've passed through, but didn't explore enough.
Those petros and pictographs, especially are spectacular. It's been on our short list.
Thanks Lighthawk! We had so many possible spots marked on our map based on how far we got in a day and such that we can go back around 10 more times to work on the current list. Problem is, as you know, that list just happily gets longer and longer! :)

Back
Top Bottom