Death Valley National Park - March 2018

More wonderful adventures-told you retirement was great! Except for for the ticks that is-those critters are curse of out door life and I rank them below even mosquitoes (they at least pollinate things)! Sill remember that time when me and a couple of law enforcement types were working in a canyon in NW Nevada and unknowingly walked through batch of sagebrush that was covered with 'em and next thing we knew we also were covered with them-head to foot-shirts off, everyone slapping each others back to knock them off, what a mess! That night a super tick search conducted by all! Still shutter to think about it!! That also the day we walked into a horse herd with a brand new young 'en and a very aggressive ,stallion- but that's another story.

Smoke

Regarding this unidentified Death Valley plant ...

gallery_2702_1185_113987.jpg

The Desert Rat Randy, at the wife's works says...

golden desert-snapdragon Mohavea breviflora.

So, try that and see if you agree.

BTW, good close up, it took Desert Rat Randy 1.2 seconds to make his guess at what it is.

Wow, what a fun trip you all had. It looked like you all missed the extra temps that would come only a month later. You came across some beautiful blooms in DV--there was hardly anything blooming in Saline Valley in April (except for a few cacti).

I must say you were pretty brave to use this trip to break in a new pair of boots that were delivered only a day before.

I also really liked your long exposure shots. That's something I need to experiment with more.

Finally, I must say: checking each other for ticks...now that's romantic...

Thanks for sharing.

Ticks!
I had no idea they were out in the deserts. I'll have to be much more careful and on the lookout should I go through the brush. Great report and inspiration for future travels. The Funeral Range is quite interesting.

Hi Ski, another thanks for the TR, but, would you just provide a short explanation for how you get photo the of the stars with the blue sky and clouds? Thanks

dr.tucson said:
Hi Ski, another thanks for the TR, but, would you just provide a short explanation for how you get photo the of the stars with the blue sky and clouds? Thanks
Wait for the full moon to rise and light up the landscape; a 30 second exposure. The camera gathers in light and color that may not be visible to your eye.

dr.tucson said:
To avoid star trails, use the “Rule of 500”. Divide 500 by your lens focal length to get your longest exposure time. Adjust aperture and/or ISO to get the effect you want.

https://petapixel.com/2015/01/06/avoid-star-trails-following-500-rule/

If you want a real clear foreground, take two shots. High ISO for the foreground, lower ISO for sky and stars. Open as layers in photoshop, mask out the undesired parts of each photo/layer.

Ski & Julie, another wonderful report. I enjoyed the hike with you guys. Someday we will get out to the West coast and DV. Thanks for sharing the best of the best.
jd

Back
Top Bottom