Death Valley Rally after Christmas

It appears that there are a number of folks who will be in the Death Valley area right after Christmas. The folks will be coming to make it simple, from both North and South on 395. We should try to figure out a reasonable middle ground camping spot to meet up on the first night (26th) for those of whom want to form a group. Can anyone suggest a spot? Please let us know.

Darryl

Sorry to be too detailed. Is it possible to put together a list of folks who might want to meet? In addition, we need more ideas where our meeting point is. I do not know the area so any and all ideas are helpful. Ballarat looks like a good place, but it may be too far south for the folks coming from the north who want to go to Race Track from what I can see on the map? I have no idea.

Darryl

Darryl

As of today I'm planning on coming over from Atascadero on the 26th so I can probably make it to any meeting place. For anyone coming from 395 Ballarat is only about 20 miles out of the way and there are some interesting things to see on that side of the Panamints.

The most central meeting place would be Stovepipe Wells or Furnace Creek but they are likely to be crowded that week. Plus its like camping in a Walmart parking lot.

You should also keep an eye on the road and weather conditions with all the storms we have coming through. There are some good internet sites with this info.

Dick

It's also a bit of a parking lot, but there is a campground right at the original stone gate building on the north side of 190 west of SPW. My lone NY's experience there was uncrowded. There is also something worth finding in the immediate area.

I'm not joining you guys, as I'll be firmly planted at Saline Valley Hot Springs. But a word of advice to any of the Death Valley first timers (if any actually exist), bring tire chains or cables. Even if you have 4wd, the higher elevation roads in DV can be steep and heavily iced. I do a few trips a year in and out of Saline. At least once a year I have to chain up, sometimes front and rear axles, if I want to leave North or South Pass. And while I imagine you guys will end up in Saline, the warm pools enticing you in, if you don't have chains you may be staying for an extended vacation or you'll have to leave by Steele Pass or Lippincott Road.

Pics below are from Death Valley on a not unusual New Years trip:

Attachments

• IMGP4175.jpg
    IMGP4175.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMGP4171.jpg
    IMGP4171.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMGP0641.jpg
    IMGP0641.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 123
I highly recommend Saline With Gene. And if you play bring your instrument. It's live music, hot springs and great company.

I'm OK anywhere everyone wants to meet, including Ballarat.

I had the pleasure of meeting Gene today while he was at ATC picking up is new camper. He said he would not be at Saline until around Tuesday, the 29th. I would like to get over to the hot springs (lower warm springs) at least one night and since I have to leave on the 30th, looks like the 29th will be the day.

Other than Saline on the 29th, I'm open to anything else the group (if there is one) wants to do.

We're headed to Saline Valley also, leaving town on the 26th. Bringing some percussion instruments and hoping to join in the fun! Side trips when/if we get bored will be Lippincott or Steele Pass or ??? I read about some side trips off of North Pass that I need to research a bit more.

I had the pleasure of meeting Gene today while he was at ATC picking up is new camper. He said he would not be at Saline until around Tuesday, the 29th. I would like to get over to the hot springs (lower warm springs) at least one night and since I have to leave on the 30th, looks like the 29th will be the day.

Other than Saline on the 29th, I'm open to anything else the group (if there is one) wants to do.

Sorry, I hit the "add reply" button o soon. Hey Bob, that was great meeting you! Thanks for stopping by at ATC. See you at Saline.

Gene

We have been watching the ten day forecasts on weather.com. Death Valley is starting to look good for those of you making travel plans. Knock on wood.

We were planing to camp in Zion for Christmas, but it looks as though Mother Nature has other plans for us. They just closed Zion due to extensive flooding. The Ranger I spoke with said there is a chance they will be open by Christmas, but the river is forecast to go to 8000 cfm (normal this time of year is 60cfm). All the camping loops that are now open will flood at 8000cfm, so even if the park opens there most likely won't be any camping! It looks like Death Valley will be our second choice. We were going to try our other standby place at Burro Creek Wilderness area, but A friend says the river there is way over bank as well. Anybody come up with firm meeting places for Death Valley yet?

All packed with no where to go!

John

We were planing to camp in Zion for Christmas, but it looks as though Mother Nature has other plans for us. They just closed Zion due to extensive flooding. The Ranger I spoke with said there is a chance they will be open by Christmas, but the river is forecast to go to 8000 cfm (normal this time of year is 60cfm). All the camping loops that are now open will flood at 8000cfm, so even if the park opens there most likely won't be any camping! It looks like Death Valley will be our second choice. We were going to try our other standby place at Burro Creek Wilderness area, but A friend says the river there is way over bank as well. Anybody come up with firm meeting places for Death Valley yet?

All packed with no where to go!

John

John
Darryl was putting this thing together, but haven't seen a post from him for a while. I really don't care where we meet, so someone (Darryl??) make a decision and I'll be there.

73 de K6ON

Ok, how about Ballarat? I was waiting to see what others thought, but how about we meet here on the 26th?

Darryl

Ok, how about Ballarat? I was waiting to see what others thought, but how about we meet here on the 26th?

Darryl

That seems as good a place as any other I was thinking of. We haven't explored that side of Death Valley yet.
We will be there sometime in the evening Dec 24. My wife has to be back at work on Monday so we can only stay a few days.
John

Ballarat works for me...I'm leaving Sacramento early AM on the 26th.

Dick, are you going to make it ?? DV wouldn't be the same without you,
and Marc, would love to see that great XP again.

Ballarat works for me...I'm leaving Sacramento early AM on the 26th.

Dick, are you going to make it ?? DV wouldn't be the same without you,
and Marc, would love to see that great XP again.

Bob,

Yes - I'm still planning on going. I've been watching the weather and it looks like it will be ok through the weekend until tuesday. It looks like they've been getting rain so some of the areas might be closed. It will probably be cold at night so bring some firewood if you can find anything dry.

If the campground at the Ballarat store is busy lets go to the spot we used last time. For those who weren't there last year it's an area on the left of the road about a quarter mile north of the campground.

n0izh,

I saw on the news tonight that Zion was closed due to a possible dam failure.

Dick

We'll be south of all of you that week but plan to head home via 395. Maybe we'll see some of you on the road. Tentative plan right now is to overnight at Alabama Hills on the 31st.

Back
Top Bottom