Death Valley - Thanksgiving 2014

Thanks for the report,Ski.
Interesting story about Rood.
I once owned a 1860 Remington New Model Army .44 cal,black powder pistol.
The bottom of the frame of the grips was engraved, Will H. Rood.
Don't know how common of a name that is so it might be a relative of his.Small world.
Waiting for the next parts.
Frank

Nice trip report. Looks like another place on the "to go" list. Your new Lowa's look like old Royal Robbins climbing boots (the old RR's). Great color!

I like the Papa Smurf hiking boots... Glad to hear you are now a card tooting official geezer! Congratulations.... Good story that went with it!

Enjoyed part one and two. You two really get around. Sure your not retired?

Just perused the photos before bed. I'll read about your adventure tomorrow.
I too spent turkey day and the weekend high up in the Panamints. Sure was busy on the trails with a lot of Jeeps but we resided with Mr. Briggs and all was well.

Mr. 3pin, congratulations on achieving documented geezer hood status. Once again, an interesting adventure!

Earlier this year we went up Hole-in-the-Wall canyon to spend the night (gotta love predictive typing on the iPad??? -> Fonda campsite. <- Where did that come from?), and to look for bighorns that we've seen there on occasion. Instead we found about ten campers that were there for a back country foot race.

I'm pretty sure I saw your rig coming over one of the passes while I was on my way out, I spent two weeks there creating new work for a show, had a great time overall but busted up the truck pretty good on Racetrack Road. I am home now but the rig is in the shop for a suspected bad wheel bearing...that's after coughing up about $1,600 for new upper ball joints, left upper control arm and a day in the shop in Sacramento.

I'll be developing about 70 sheets of black and white 4x5 film today while I wait for the shop to call....

Congrats on the geezer card. DV is the the correct place for you to finally get your card.
afm199.gif

Sorry I left some of you hanging last night with Part Two only half done. It is now complete and I'll work on Part Three this evening. Glad you are enjoying it.

Kodachrome said:
I'm pretty sure I saw your rig coming over one of the passes while I was on my way out,<snip>
Yup, Saturday morning very quick glimpse on one of the sharp corners on the grade west of Panamint Springs.

Another marvelous report with more marvelous photos of the spectacular geology of California. Love that angular conglomerate/moasic breccia and the stretched-pebble conglomerate within the crinkle-folded outcrop.

We actually have Precambrian stretched pebble conglomerates here in the East. They're in metamorphosed glacial tillites within the Mount Rogers Formation of Southwest VA and nearby portions of TN and NC. Deep weathering and abundant vegetation makes for few outcrops, however.

Looking forward to Part 3.

Foy

Thanks Ski.
Over the many reports you have posted,you have shown many "petroglyphs"of sheep. Even though they are drawn by many different people they seem to all look alike.
I find that interesting that these rock drawings made over many hundreds of years,and miles apart can look so similar.
Enjoyed all the geology photos. Very interesting.
When one first hears "death valley" and sees all the desert,one doesn't think of all the water(ice & liquid) it took to create those formations.
Really enjoy your hikes.
Frank

Wonderful report. Having made the trek out to Lemoigne Canyon I agree that is one of the worst roads in DV, however, the view looking down the alluvial fan is quite worth it. My hat is off to you for making multiple trips, and for finding Rood Rock!

Back
Top Bottom