Death Valley - Thanksgiving 2014

Thanks Ski-your rock art pictures always get me thinking again. Frank-you bring up a subject that "arcks" and other interested folk bring up and discuss all the time-it's something called(1)"independent discovery and defusion" (meaning a good idea spreads from one place outward and replaces lesser ideas) vrs (2)the same discovery made in many places by different peoples at different times(sort of evolves Darwin like). Depending where you are, big horn sheep rock art was thought to represent a certain hunting/religious tradition and/or culture (some today say it represents a mystic/religious cult/totum identification); whatever, did the idea spread from one guy doing his thing and pass on to his kin and friends and soon to the world--or did a bunch of different people discover that you -if you had the right technique and tool- could hunt bighorn sheep at different times, with different tools, and in different places? Hope this is not a hijack-it's not meant to be.

Is a hunter represented with the sheep? Does he have a spear, a atlatl, a bow and arrow-is something sticking out of it? Are the figures dancing? Do the figures represent the actual hunt, or the religious event asking for luck in hunting them or again, does it represent someone seeking his clans' totum (becoming a man initiation) and this has nothing to do with hunting. Are there rock features associated with them. You can go around and around over what it all means-makes archaeology like one big detective show-and sometimes fun.

When i got into archaeology years ago the Desert side-notched arrow head was thought to represent late stuff; today, it is a time marker for the late periods in the far west and but was first used much earlier in eastern Utah-what?. The DSN is usually associated with smaller game and the bow and arrow, while larger points are associated with larger game and sometimes different tools. Does that mean that the climate in eastern Utah was different than in western Nevada at the same time, or did deer take over from bighorns as the major game animal., or maybe different people came in and were used to hunting different things and using different techniques-what's the rock art show? What's the tools made out of(basalt points older than obsidian?), was the rock art painted or pecked? My mind is getting tired now, just thinking about it. Keep the TR's coming Ski and keep thinking about it all Frank. Great stuff to cuss and discuss around the campfire.Time for a drink.

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Thanks Ski-your rock art pictures always get me thinking again. Frank-you bring up a subject that "arcks" and other interested folk bring up and discuss all the time-it's something called(1)"independent discovery and defusion" (meaning a good idea spreads from one place outward and replaces lesser ideas) vrs (2)the same discovery made in many places by different peoples at different times(sort of evolves Darwin like). Depending where you are, big horn sheep rock art was thought to represent a certain hunting/religious tradition and/or culture (some today say it represents a mystic/religious cult/totum identification); whatever, did the idea spread from one guy doing his thing and pass on to his kin and friends and soon to the world--or did a bunch of different people discover that you -if you had the right technique and tool- could hunt bighorn sheep at different times, with different tools, and in different places? Hope this is not a hijack-it's not meant to be.

Is a hunter represented with the sheep? Does he have a spear, a atlatl, a bow and arrow-is something sticking out of it? Are the figures dancing? Do the figures represent the actual hunt, or the religious event asking for luck in hunting them or again, does it represent someone seeking his clans' totum (becoming a man initiation) and this has nothing to do with hunting. Are there rock features associated with them. You can go around and around over what it all means-makes archaeology like one big detective show-and sometimes fun.

When i got into archaeology years ago the Desert side-notched arrow head was thought to represent late stuff; today, it is a time marker for the late periods in the far west and but was first used much earlier in eastern Utah-what?. The DSN is usually associated with smaller game and the bow and arrow, while larger points are associated with larger game and sometimes different tools. Does that mean that the climate in eastern Utah was different than in western Nevada at the same time, or did deer take over from bighorns as the major game animal., or maybe different people came in and were used to hunting different things and using different techniques-what's the rock art show? What's the tools made out of(basalt points older than obsidian?), was the rock art painted or pecked? My mind is getting tired now, just thinking about it. Keep the TR's coming Ski and keep thinking about it all Frank. Great stuff to cuss and discuss around the campfire.Time for a drink.

Smoke
Thanks Smoke.Yes it is all very interesting.
I enjoy seeing all the posted "rock art".
I haven't had the opportunity to view much of it myself ,in person though.
So glad to see trip reports show it .

Don't think you hijacked the report at all.
Frank

What a super trip! Congrats to you and The Lady!!!

The bighorn skull was very special. I would have been tempted to try and secret it out of the park (no, but I would have at least thought about it).

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The bighorn skull was very special. I would have been tempted to try and secret it out of the park (no, but I would have at least thought about it).
Mr. Sage, you may of considered doing so until you picked it up. It was heavy. Those horns are massive.

Smoke, thanks for the archeological information. I enjoy it so never a hijack. A few years ago there was a book at the Lone Pine Interagency Visitors Center in the Rock Art section. It had an interesting chapter on the evolution over time of the depiction of sheep. I haven't seen it at the Center again and I'm wishing I would have purchased it. The last site was different insofar as it had a couple of glyphs with the sleep looking forward with the horns arcing in opposite directions.

Very enjoyable report, great photos and interesting discussion.You are lucky to have Death Valley in your backyard. What an interesting place. Thanks!

ski3pin said:
Yup, Saturday morning very quick glimpse on one of the sharp corners on the grade west of Panamint Springs.
Awesome, pretty cool we recognized each other's rigs. Got mine back from the shop today, clean bill of health, the suspected bad wheel bearing was just a wheel out of balance from the Racetrack hit.

Still developing film but so far lots of good shots to print from what I have done. I might head back out in March depending on how ski season is going. Death Valley is just amazeballs...

Kodachrome, yup, your small panel in the middle of your wind deflector is pretty distinctive. Hope you have success and a lot of satisfaction from your shots this trip. Death Valley is one special place. Glad your truck is back and fixed. Now try not to break it again! :)

In Part One I included a photo of the ruins of a stone structure in Lemoigne Canyon. I found a photo of in from 1949 in an issue of Desert Magazine - Dec. 1949 Desert Magazine - scroll down to page 13. It is in the Panamint Pack Trip story.

Back
Top Bottom