Death Valley the end of 2009

Thanks for the kind comments. We've been keeping up on your rally plans and sounds like a great time with good camaraderie. Doesn't take much to want to go back, does it? I count myself extremely lucky because the Lady's almost more interested in exploration than I am. "What's down that road? Show me on the map. We need to go visit there!" She has just fallen in love with the FWC/ATC. The cubbie holes and drawers are filled her way; it's her "nest" with an equal division of all the "chores". Life is good when you can go to sleep or wake up with a Death Valley sunset or sunrise. Have a great and safe rally. Someday we look forward to meeting and joining you fine folks on one of these adventures!

Hey Ski,

Great pics, looked like a great trip. We got into DV just about the time you were leaving. We want to do the route you did in April and try to incorporate a trip to Saline Valley too. The Big Pine Road into Eureka and then on to the race track looks like a good route, how is the road is there any pucker factor to it or difficult 4 wheelin?

Rich, the roads we drove on were in good shape although lots of washboard. Down to Eureka Dunes and then on past Crankshaft Crossing down to Ubehebe Road and out to the Racetrack is all 2 wheel drive. Lippincott Trail was very busy with jeep and old land rover clubs. We did not drop down into Saline so can't comment on Lippincott or out around Hunter Mountain. We also saw several rigs doing South Eureka Road that goes from Eureka Dunes down to the springs in Saline Valley, - jeeps, 4x4 pickups, and a couple of those brand new Toyota FJ rigs, most driven by women with guys riding shotgun. In trip planning pay attention to distance, your vehicle's range, and where gas is available (and at a reasonable price). We gassed up in Big Pine and we had 143 miles on the trip meter at Homestake just south of the Racetrack Playa. We may be heading down that way again during Lady Ski3pin's spring break, unless the corn harvest is on up high.

Nice,

Thanks for the info Ski. I think Eureka is definitely on our itinerary for our next trip!

DD, all primitive. Just to the north of the dunes are a few concrete tables and there were two or three vehicles camped here during our stay. We elected to drive past this about .75 mile or so to where South Eureka Road turns to the south. There were a few larger turnouts marked with small rocks here and no one else around, looked good to us. Looked like an old beat up toilet near the tables, but we didn't investigate as wag bags are quick and handy and our disposal method.

Here is a couple of pictures of your very same view of The Race Track but under different conditions. One is after a thunderstorm in the Summer of 1989, the other a snow fall in March of 2001.

Attachments

• Photo 9 of 113.jpg
    Photo 9 of 113.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Photo 7 of 27.jpg
    Photo 7 of 27.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 142
Yes Gene, great photos! The one with water on racetrack playa after the storm is very special. I didn't see any ski tracks in the snow photo!

Back
Top Bottom