Deaver Springs

No problem....let me know if you have any other questions. I have been driving the truck for a week now without the camper on and while it is a bit rough, especially when compared to a wimpy stock Taco Suspension, it is not horrible.

Still no complaints,

Cort

I had a set of custom Deaver springs made at his shop for my 2001 Tundra. With the Hawk camper on they were just right. They got the truck back to stock position with the load on.

I decided to buy a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel and put the camper on it. I kept the Tundra for dump runs and such. I found that after awhile the Deaver springs on the Tundra, without the camper on, was a little rough. It was ok for a few days but not permanently. I decided to take the Deavers off and put back on the stock ones I had kept.

If anyone is needing some Deavers for a Tundra let me know.

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Offroading/First-Trip-in-the-Tundra-with/12636256_e9Jye#908003810_yhRFM

Keith
barnesclan@hotmail.com

Are you going to do anything with the springs on the Dodge?

I am so glad that I decided to put the Deaver springs on. As of this point I have no complaints. With the camper on I could not be happier with the way the suspension has worked out. The truck is solid and carries the load very well. I also use this truck as my daily driver when the camper is off....I have had no problems. It does ride stiff but I find that to be a relief from Toyota's stock suspension which I would characterize as weak. Its a truck so it should ride like one. I do have a three sand bags in the back to help with the ride when the camper is not on...I do run the tires soft with the camper off.

I wish I would have started this adventure with Deaver or something similar instead of going the airbag route and realizing that its just really not up for the task.

Cort

Cort, thanks so much for your update. I've talked with a spring shop down in the Sacramento area and I've talked with Jeff at Deaver. The shop in Sacramento recommends rearching my stock springs and adding another bottom overload making a total 5 leaf pack. Jeff is recommending a custom 10 leaf pack.

Cort, thanks so much for your update. I've talked with a spring shop down in the Sacramento area and I've talked with Jeff at Deaver. The shop in Sacramento recommends rearching my stock springs and adding another bottom overload making a total 5 leaf pack. Jeff is recommending a custom 10 leaf pack.

Re-arching your stock springs will only work if your stock leaves are in good shape....in addition re-arching will wear out over time. Adding another overload is really going to stiffen your ride. My Deaver 10 pack is what Jeff calls a semi progression spring pack....meaning you have seven ride springs...relatively small leaves with lots of flex (smooth ride) and 3 overloads for the real heavy weight.....I really think this is the best of both worlds. If I were your I would just get the Custom Deaver Pack and be done with it. I gave all my weights to Jeff....he asked how I used the Truck and what kind of performance I expected to get out of the leaf pack. When I went to have them installed he hit it exactly right and like I said I am extremely happy.

Cort

Looks like we are following in your tire tracks, Cort. Thanks for posting your experiences and also thanks to others who have added comments.

Very nice! I just ordered a custom pack from National Spring Company (they're just down the street from me) and should have it installed in my "new" 2001 Tacoma in a couple of weeks. Since my camper essentially lives on my truck, I decided to have them build the pack specifically for my needs as well. When I have them installed, I plan on upgrading the shocks as well, probably to the adjustable Rancho 9000 recommended by the guys at the spring shop. I'll be sure to report back the results.

Hi Tradmonkey. Being local to National Springs as well, curious if you got yours installed and how you like them? I am considering using NS for my Dodge and just talked to them today. I need to get the front and rear weights so we can work out springs.

Anyone else with National Springs want to comment?

I had National Springs on the '83 Toyota truck and was impressed with them. This past year I had them make me a custom set of four coils for the 4 Runner. They do the leaf springs there and have thier sister company design and make the coils elsewhere.

The first set of coils were not right and working with Ben they were re-made and ended up getting what I wanted. Just a bummer that it took longer and more of my labor to change them out.

Yes I would go with them again, but I have not tried anybody else either.

I had National Springs on the '83 Toyota truck and was impressed with them. This past year I had them make me a custom set of four coils for the 4 Runner. They do the leaf springs there and have thier sister company design and make the coils elsewhere.

The first set of coils were not right and working with Ben they were re-made and ended up getting what I wanted. Just a bummer that it took longer and more of my labor to change them out.

Yes I would go with them again, but I have not tried anybody else either.

Thanks for the info. I finally got some time to get the truck weight front and rear. Front is about 4300 lbs, rear is about 3700 lbs. That's truck (full tank), camper (full water) and me (full from lunch). That Cummins is a heavy sucker.
ohmy.gif
Happy I am under the GVW of 8800 lbs. so I got a little wiggle room for gear and the wife and dog.

Good productive day today. We ordered a custom Deaver set, seven leaf pack. Trusting Jeff's judgement and experience here with the weights and info I supplied to him. The set showed up here the last week of June, six weeks from ordering. We cleaned up under the truck Thursday night and applied liquid wrench to all the bolts & nuts and removed the camper. Started this morning and had the new springs on by noon, straight forward job. Needed to fabricate new square u bolts for the bottom platforms for the air bags, that ate up a couple hours of running around for parts. All in all the camper was back on and project completed by five pm. The camper sits great on the springs with the airbags needed only for a half inch lower on the drivers side. They are stout and will give a report after a road trip.

After some initial driving, I like these springs! :) Cost for us was $650 for the two leaf sets, S. Cal sales tax, and $75 shipping. Total was around $788.

I was wondering if you ever got that done. I am still loving mine. I would say that my only complaint is that get a bit squeaky......but when I clean them it goes away.

Cort

For anyone who wants to install their leaf springs themselves, here are a couple of hints to make the job a lot easier.

1) Get custom bolts made to mount the springs to the axle. You will need them, so get them bent before you start the installation. Don't plan on reusing the old axle bolts, as they will be junk after you take them off.

1a) Put some penetrating oil on your shackle bolts a couple of times before you do the install. Don't bother putting penetrating oil on your axle mounting bolts...

2) Make sure your truck is on jack stands under the frame with the tires just slightly off the ground, then put another set of stands under the axle and remove the wheels. This way, your axle won't drop down when you do the next step.

3) Don't waste time trying to remove the nuts off the axle bolts. Cut the bolts with a hand grinder and cutting wheel. It will only take a few seconds to cut them, and you don't want to reuse old axle bolts anyway.

4) Remove your shackle bolts after you cut the axle bolts. Drop out the springs and lube up the shackles. You may want to install greasable shackles to make your suspension work better.

5) After you install the shackle bolts, position the axle and then put on the axle bolts. Tighten them equally to ensure they are squared up on the spring and axle. Once they are torqued down, use the hand grinder to trim off any extra length of the bolts. This will help you keep from catching the axle bolts on rocks and bending them.

6) Take the jack stands out and enjoy your new springs!

Gil(will be installing new Alcans this week)

Hi Tradmonkey. Being local to National Springs as well, curious if you got yours installed and how you like them? I am considering using NS for my Dodge and just talked to them today. I need to get the front and rear weights so we can work out springs.

Anyone else with National Springs want to comment?

Well, 9 months later, and I'm still very happy with my springs. I've done some pretty solid off-roading on them with the camper - multiple trips in and out of Valley of the Moon (I-8 at In-Ko-Pah Road, then head South) and a New Years trip that went down the Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Dropoff into Fish Creek. They perform great with the camper on, flexing the right amount, and giving a nice ride on the highway. The adjustable shocks make a noticible difference too. The ride without the camper is stiff, but tolerable. My the camper almost never leaves the truck.

One issue that needs fixing though... I noticed about a month ago that somewhere in my off-roading, the spring was flexed so much that one of the brackets dented one of my shocks. I showed the guys at National Spring, and they were surprised and said they'd never seen that before. They ordered a new shock and said they could just remove the bracket so it won't happen again. I haven't had a chance to get back over there for the new shock & resolve the issue. I 'll see if i can get a photo of the damage.

I paid about 1250 for springs and shocks installed on my rig.

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually got out to NS and they are building me a custom set of front coils and a rear spring pack. Lifting 1" in the front and 2" in the rear, at my current ride height with the camper. Camper will be on 99% of the time so I want it setup for it.

Should be any day that they are ready.

Back
Top Bottom