Or this, no space taken in camper. Just follows you around :);

Attachments

• 20220902_144629.jpg
    20220902_144629.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220902_162226.jpg
    20220902_162226.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 111
We have tried a few step solutions over the past few years. The best so far is a hitch mounted aluminum fold down step by Carr. The are primarily used on emergency vehicles, ambulances, fire trucks, etc. for me this is perfect. I add a small aluminum collapsible step for my wife.

Hope that helps,

Vic

Attachments

• IMG_2023-10-13-084755.png
    IMG_2023-10-13-084755.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2023-10-13-085057.png
    IMG_2023-10-13-085057.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 90
My different 2 step still going strong. Different brand. I'm looking for a new 3 step plastic one.those little Giant r way to heavy

If you were near Boise, here's what I had on my truck. We went to a flatbed so this doesn't work anymore. The bottom step can be removed and there's a handrail that also can be added or removed.

It's really heavy duty.

If anyone wants it, I'll sell it for $75 but you'll have to pick it up.

Attachments

• 20220903_072456.jpg
    20220903_072456.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220903_072508.jpg
    20220903_072508.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220903_072443.jpg
    20220903_072443.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 50
I'm a fan of the non attached options. I also need to use my step for latching and unlatching the camper. I can use my step to climb into my boat while it is on the trailer as well. The folding Rubbermaid two step is working great for me. The large footprint makes it very stable even in soft sand. It stores perfectly folded up and bungeed in front of the fridge.

The steps are textured enough to avoid slippage. The sharp metal looks great, but not for bare feet, ouch.

Attachments

• IMG_1999 (1).jpg
    IMG_1999 (1).jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 74
It looks like you have solved the stool problem. But for releasing camper latches, I simply screwed a hook into the end of a 4 foot dowel and can stay on the ground as I walk around unlatching the roof. Of course, I do need the stool to relatch them.

I also use this stool to relatch the roof and to climb up into the bed. I added some rubber stair treads for safety but it folds flat and is easily stowed.

Attachments

• 51Y6RxC+9jL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    51Y6RxC+9jL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 51-Yi+o4-IL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51-Yi+o4-IL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 24
I tried those little plastic ones but found them lacking. I also try to avoid plastic products for both durability and environmental reasons. Now, I use an aluminum work platform similar to this one. https://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTech-Jobsite-Series-39-in-Portable-Work-Platform-Aluminum-Step-Stool-for-Adults-and-Portable-Work-Bench-with-Rubber-Feet-E-PWP7100AL/206691415

It gives me a larger stepping area and when our dogs were still alive, it provided a convenient step for them. It is large enough and high enough to serve as a bench for putting on and taking off shoes. Finally, it can double as a nice table between our chairs when sitting outside. My preference is towards products that serve multiple functions.

I had one of these 'step n store' steps for about 10 years. it's holding up just fine. Originally bought it at Lowe's. I put my dog's food and treats in it, but have to remember to bring it inside the camper in bear country.

Attachments

• step and store.jpg
    step and store.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 33
I use receiver steps:
1step.jpg
I like these because they are very solid and always in the same relation to the camper door. I made the treads bigger for da beagle and added astroturf for dirt trapping.

I have used the folding Hyper Tough metal 2 step, stool for years. It has a 225# capacity.
I had to remove the top crossbar so it fits under the camper overhang.Folds up for easy storage and is high enough
to reach the rain flaps on my camper.
Frank

That is a beautiful set of steps. It seems like it could use a padded cover so it doesn’t ding up your cabinets. Alternatively, some strategically placed foam pipe insulation could do the same job.

The plastic steps just don't hold up to alot of use, so I now use a Gen-y receiver step. Welded a second 2" receiver under truck hitch, the step fits and stays under hitch. One last thing I don't have to store inside camper.

I spent a great deal of time on this topic, and eventually made the decision to go with Torklift glowsteps. They are detachable, take up less room than the aluminum steps shown above, and are very sturdy. While not the cheapest option, I went with the spend more buy once option

Torklift Steps.jpg

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep

I made a crummy looking one that plugs into the hitch, which isn't worth sharing. We use a Home Despot step that folds nice and flat. On rough roads I don't want it banging all over the place so this is pretty handy.

We've purchased four of these so far. The first one, I backed over it. Oops. Two more are in use in our house (and as spares). But the last one got clobbered by my 120 lb wife. Somehow she tripped, stumbled into it sideways, and broke one of the side supports! I heard, but didn't see what happened. There were some curse words that I won't put on the internet. We quickly bought that fourth one, we really like this step.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladders-1-Step-Plastic-Step-Stool-with-300-lbs-Load-Capacity-7ft-Reach-Height-GLP-1S/206618097

I found a step ladder to be a good solution for me. It also comes in handy for clearing snow off the roof and checking the oil. It was a hassle to store for travel and storage made stealth camping difficult so I made a rack and mounted it to the bumper.

The rack is such that you slide the rear legs of the ladder down into rack channels. Since I have another rack above it, the ladder rack swings out so that I can insert the legs into the channels without the ladder hitting the upper rack. There's a bonus; with the ladder removed and the rack swung all the way down, the channels of the rack are pointing down and out of the way leaving a small tabletop where there was only a narrow bumper. My beers don't fall off the bumper any more!

It's been a while since I posted and I can't recall how to post photos. In desperation I made a album in Gallery with 5 pics. If interested I think you can click my name and then view the album

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom