Denino, OR southward toward Reno NV

DavidGraves

We are considering a slow and first time meander southward from Denio, OR toward Reno in September.

There seems to be a thru route off 140 ( 8A or Soldiers Meadow road which seems to lead as far as Erlach, NV

Glad to hear from anyone with experience thru the area.

Our interests are history and natural history....birds and botany.

David Graves

North Oregon Coast

Gerlach, Nevada (great place and a hub for the area-can go lot's of places from there). -yes road okay, but weather conditions can close it; lot's of things to see along it. Paved and gravel roads south from Gerlach to Pyramid Lake/Reno. Gravel road s thru Smoke Creek Desert to both places good except during bad weather. Mostly paved road nw to Cederville also from there and a gravel road ne to interstate 80/Lovelock and points east.

Smoke

Thanks Both

Yes...fires and the aftermath.

We are still about a month from travel but need to zero in on our route.

David

I'm sure you're aware there'll be something of a party about 10 miles northeast of Gerlach in just under a month from the present. Burning Man 2018 runs from Aug 26-September 4 and the access point(s?) immediately around Gerlach are tightly controlled during the event and one must assume for some days before and after the event.

Those seeking solitude and a quiet time in the desert would be sorely disappointed to happen upon Burning Man unexpectedly.

But, some really enjoy watching the craziness via live webcams as it all unfolds.

Foy

Thanks Foy

I had not even considered it....very bummed to think half of humanity will be in the area as we pass thru.

We are looking into a change or delay...possibly a detour avoiding the area.

David Graves

David,

FWIW, and keeping in mind I've never personally set foot on the playa outside of Gerlach, my understanding of the operations surrounding the gathering is that the participants are leaving the playa from the wee hours of Sunday morning and that they are required to off the playa by Monday afternoon. Then the BM crews begin and complete the required removal of all items from the area and return custody to the BLM on a "date certain" following Monday's official end of the gathering. If I'm not mistaken, there are some participants who depart by going northwest up NV 447 to Cedarville, CA, and some also depart through Gerlach then northeast/east via the Jungo Road to Winnemucca. One might assume some sort of delta of destruction along those routes in the days immediately following the end of the festivities.

And it's not really half of humanity--only 60,000 to 70,000 of our dearest friends.
Foy

Back
Top Bottom