Diamond in the Rough - Alaskan 8' cabover

Sea Bear

Well, this is our second Alaskan, and first post on WTW. The first was an old 1965 10' C/O which we loved until our kids got too big. Now they are grown and running loose. We looked for another Alaskan for over a year and finally found an 8' cabover front dinette at a decent price.

We're sure looking forward to a fun summer!

Attachments

• Alaskan Camper trip 008.jpg
    Alaskan Camper trip 008.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 374
  • Alaskan Camper trip 011.jpg
    Alaskan Camper trip 011.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 388
Here are some pics of our old camper. We took it up some great roads in the Cascades & never paid for campground fees. The only problem... it didn't have a furnace. We froze a couple trips up around 7,000 feet in the fall. This "new" camper has furnace and the wife likes it.

Attachments

• alaskan camper 1 adj.jpg
    alaskan camper 1 adj.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 331
  • alaskan camper 2 adj.jpg
    alaskan camper 2 adj.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 330
I repainted the stripes on the side, which were peeling. Changed to earth tone colors to quiet it down a bit. The camper doesn't need much work. Just a few fix-it projects.

Attachments

• camper 001 adj.jpg
    camper 001 adj.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 232
Sea Bear said:
I repainted the stripes on the side, which were peeling. Changed to earth tone colors to quiet it down a bit. The camper doesn't need much work. Just a few fix-it projects.
DO you mind sharing what type of paint and procedure you used to repaint your camper stripes? I am looking to repaint my stripes as well.

poriggity said:
DO you mind sharing what type of paint and procedure you used to repaint your camper stripes? I am looking to repaint my stripes as well.
I used Rustoleum. I sanded the existing paint with 220 to rough it up. Then I brushed on two coats of liquid (not rattle can) with a good 2" brush. The paint leveled out nice on its own. The weather was warm that day, which made it dry quick. That part of the camper siding has a wood grain texture, which covered any imperfections. The color didn't turn out as nice as the can label, but it sure looks better than it was. :D

Sea Bear said:
I used Rustoleum. I sanded the existing paint with 220 to rough it up. Then I brushed on two coats of liquid (not rattle can) with a good 2" brush. The paint leveled out nice on its own. The weather was warm that day, which made it dry quick. That part of the camper siding has a wood grain texture, which covered any imperfections. The color didn't turn out as nice as the can label, but it sure looks better than it was. :D
Perfect, thank you, that's exactly how u planned on doing my stripes.. gonna change mine from tan and brown to match the silver and maroon of my truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Wander The West mobile app

I forgot to mention, I also used a small flat artist brush to cut in the edges. Turned out great.

Back
Top Bottom