Diesel Fuel

Drain the water separator into a glass jar and see how much water is actually in the fuel. Sounds like it's doing it's job and has collected enough to set off the alarm. Basically it's just a couple of contacts at the bottom of the collector, when water (heavier than diesel) builds up enough, it will bridge the contacts.

You do NOT want an emulsifier in the fuel that would hold the water in suspension, you want to keep it separated so it can be expelled. The common rail diesels don't like any water in the high pressure fuel pump, bad things happen, and no warranty will cover it.

craig333 said:
Never had it happen. I make it a priority to fuel up only at places that do a lot of volume to insure fresh fuel.
Thought I did as well. Got word from the dealership today that there was a 50/50 diesel/water mixture in the filter when they pulled it. That $200 just went up to $1200. :mad:
I can't understand why the truck didn't give me a warning as soon as I filled it up. I even drove it on 3 separate occasions a couple of days afterward. Not until it sat in my driveway for a week while on vacation did it show up as soon as I started it.

Hard to believe it takes a week for the h20 to settle. I'm trying not to be negative and suspect sabotage. I have no enemies that I know of but .... jealousy is a mf. Also, on that note ... can anyone tell me why a $65,000 truck doesn't have a locking fuel door? Stupid.
engineering.
Claiming on insurance. I spoke with the gas station and when questioning the manager about h20 as of lately, she said: "Yea, a little bit". :mad:

At least I didn't drive it no more than 10 miles.

Sure would appreciate anyones input to this debacle if they have been through it.

How impossible is it to have anything nice without some human MUCKING IT UP?!

Might look into other water separating fuel filters, if only to keep it out of the expensive bits. No idea if there are warranty issues in adding one. My old diesel VW ribbit had a RACOR water separating fuel filter added to it. Worked well until I was on a long trip and got enough water to soak the paper filter element, which cut fuel flow and shut me down to about 35 mph max.

Just sitting, if for long enough and there is enough moisture in the air, can cause enough condensation to get a significant amount of water in the fuel. Particularly with a low fuel level.

Add a locking fuel fill cap?

a write up on fuel/water seperators
http://www.filtsep.com/view/1727/fuel-filtration-protecting-the-diesel-engine/

Diesels do come with a separator from the factory, don't how much better aftermarket ones are, other than probably just have more media to help. There's not really any way to tell if there's moisture in the fuel till it's separated out and collects in the basin. Doubtful it was from condensation from sitting, that would end up at the bottom of the tank and probably out of reach of the pick up tube.

You got bad fuel, sounds like really bad fuel. It sounds like the place was aware of it, you may ask around to see if others had problems. If you can verify the fuel came from them, you can get them to pay for damages. You blow a HPFP from moisture and that $1200 will seem cheap

As said above its relatively easy to drain the primary fuel filter on Super Duty's.
In fact I keep the right size Allen key in my door pocket.

On long trips I will be carrying a spare set of both primary and secondary fuel filters and the tools to change them.

I regularly change them at 15k miles

Didn't read the article, was suggesting an aux filter as a first line of defense. Not so much better filter filtration, just more of it. Stop the water before it gets to the expensive filters.

It didn't sound to me like it could be all condensation either, but it is a source.

It is worth the time to look over any make/model specific forums to find out where the long run guys (not the hot rod guys) are buying their filters etc. from, and what brands are considered the best to use. For a Cummins the brand is Fleetgard and one source is Geno's Garage.

Back
Top Bottom