Diode +

Hookset

Where can I find the 'diode' I guess it is called that is inside my hotwater heater of my FWC? How do I tell if it is no good? Also, Can I install my own 3way fridge? If so, where can I get a good price on one. One more, Anyone ever thought about insulating the camper? Would it be possilble to take it all apart and install insulation for more warmth? Pros/Cons? Oh, I am trying to figure out how to post pics from my trip last weekend. When I do, you will know.
Thanks in advance for any response.
HS

Hi HS,

Can't help you with the hot water heater. Sorry.

If you already have propane for a heater, a camper battery, and some handyman skills, you should be able tie it all into the fridge. Several members have removed theirs and used the space for storage. Maybe a used one will pop up in the classifieds. There is an RV dismantler yard in Sacramento if you are anywhere near there - Dr George . He has a lot of used fridges.

I know several members have added insulation. Someone will probably provide a link, but you can find those threads by doing a search of the website.

Check out the WTW Member Support section for a thread on posting pics.

Sounds like you have a lot of projects planned. Keep us informed on how they go.

Where can I find the 'diode' I guess it is called that is inside my hotwater heater of my FWC? How do I tell if it is no good? Also, Can I install my own 3way fridge? If so, where can I get a good price on one. One more, Anyone ever thought about insulating the camper? Would it be possilble to take it all apart and install insulation for more warmth? Pros/Cons? Oh, I am trying to figure out how to post pics from my trip last weekend. When I do, you will know.
HS

If you can run wiring, propane tubing, vent covers, etc. I don't see it being impossible to install a fridge but seems like it'd take some skill/effort so gauge accordingly to how handy you are. However if you're starting from scratch you may want to look into 12V compressor fridges, you'll need a bit more battery capacity but many folks enjoy them.

The campers do have insulation in the walls/ceiling already, granted in areas it could be better. If you're already going to be opening up the camper go for it. Mine is all mineral fiber insulation for instance. Some folks that have gutted and rebuilt theirs installed the hard foam board. I wouldn't pull mine apart just for that task but if I had it open I'd go for it (when I had my cabinets opened up I insulated around the propane box). Additionally folks have used reflectix and foam board insulation around the bottom areas of the camper as well. However a big heat loss that is much less intrusive to address is the windows and side liner. An arctic pack setup for the side liner helps (some folks have made their own) and also folks have cut pieces of reflectix to fit into the window areas and have reported back favorably.

If you have the Suburban 4 Gallon Hot Water Heater, it will have an annode rod.

You can get replacement annode roads at any RV store, and maybe (maybe?) Wal-Mart.

See sample here ...

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/replaceable-anode-rods-for-atwood-and-suburban-water-heaters/2470

What year is your camper ?

We already insulate the camper walls, so not much you can do to change that, at least not easily.

But if you have a newer camper, you can order the arctic pack to help keep the camper a little warmer ...

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/artic_pack.htm

hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HS

Attachments

• hot water drain plug.jpg
    hot water drain plug.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 125
That's what it is. It is an annode. Thanks Stan. I think I have a 2006 Grandby. I bought it used last year.

thats probably going to mean you will have to buy a socket to fit the nut. i had to, and it was tough to back it out.

wouldnt a 12v only compressor fridge push you immediatly toward a 2nd camper battery?
thats a intermittant 5 amp load, with maybe a total run time of 3 hours a day?

if it runs 10 minutes each hour its a 20ah/day burden. each morning my battery would be pretty low...with the chirping sensors beginning earlier...more toward midnight?

I put my own fridge in, I ordered my Hawk with the ice box and didn't like it. The Norcold I purchased from PPL www.pplmotorhomes.com, I ordered the vents from them also. Dont go too big on the vents. The Hawk was pre-wired and plumbed for the fridge so the install was sort of easy, I drilled holes from the inside of the removed icebox area and then used tinsnips and a sawsall the complete the vent openings. Some on this site have had problems with their ignitors but mine has worked fine in the 2 years or so since I put it in!

wouldnt a 12v only compressor fridge push you immediatly toward a 2nd camper battery?
thats a intermittant 5 amp load, with maybe a total run time of 3 hours a day?

if it runs 10 minutes each hour its a 20ah/day burden. each morning my battery would be pretty low...with the chirping sensors beginning earlier...more toward midnight?

I'm not sure what they pull (and how often) honestly as I've never bothered to look to heavily into them since my 3way fridge works fine. However people have talked them up so I just mentioned it as food for thought to do some research on. I'd tend to think if it killed a battery in a day I don't know that they'd have as much of a following though. But either way I'd expect someone to do some research on something like that before pulling the trigger. I'm sure there are some solid reviews out there to access performance and power requirements in a realistic camping setting.

Back
Top Bottom