Dispersed camping outside Yosemite

dorocks

I figured I would share this with anyone who wants to go to Yosemite but not stay in the overbooked campgrounds that are not probably available anyway. Last year on the day after Memorial Day weekend we tried to go to Yosemite to Crane Flats ( a campground that is first come first serve). It was closed for repair. Surprise! A helpful ranger at a full campground gave me a handout for dispersed camping just outside the Big Oak Flat Entrance on the 120. Just outside the gate are Evergreen Road and Hardin Flat Road. Outside the park is National Forest not National Park so dispersed camping is OK and free.

I posted the handout on my Smugmug page for anyone to access which includes rules for dispersed camping. I enjoyed not being with the hoards inside at night. Just birds and mosquitoes for entertainment.

Location and rules are first three pictures.

Keith

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation/Memorial-Day-Weekend-Yosemite/

Attachments

• dispersed camping near yosemite sm.jpg
    dispersed camping near yosemite sm.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 3,238
  • dispersed camping rules sm.jpg
    dispersed camping rules sm.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 2,353
I stay away from Yosemite due to the crowds. May use these maps one day. Wish there was more on the eastern side of the park but there is the whole Owens Valley on that side I guess.

Add to this Buck Meadows Road, it's close enough to the park to do day trips. There are a few spots near creeks where you can cool your ankles.

Also Lumsden Bridge campground is nice and right on the Tuolumne River, great rock jumping into the river when they release water for the rafting crowd. The Rim Fire burned right down to the campground's edge but I imagine the surrounding vegetation is recovering nicely by now.

Back
Top Bottom