Dixie Valley - the Teds addition

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Ski3pin's story ended with "Which way did they go?"

We went back down the west side of the Stillwater Range. But first, a little to add to Monte's report.
He did do some climbing around the tanks. And when he says it was a struggle to climb out, he wasn't kidding. Notice all of the moral support from The Lady and I laughing.
gallery_176_1452_181357.jpg

gallery_176_1452_158414.jpg

By the way, we got our new rig. I have to admit the finish work was not as good as we had expected.
gallery_176_1452_578284.jpg

Seriously, though, any time spent with the Ski3pins is always a good time.
gallery_176_1452_500127.jpg

Dixie Valley is on the east side of the Stillwater Range. After the Ski3pins headed home, Mrs. Ted and I headed back down the west side of the range. We camped at a location that was known as Coppereid. There were some impressive ruins and a few visitors. The view from camp.
gallery_176_1452_572548.jpg

The skill of the rock wall construction was impressive.
gallery_176_1452_624963.jpg

gallery_176_1452_261971.jpg

As I mentioned, we had visitors.
gallery_176_1452_372025.jpg

gallery_176_1452_390591.jpg

While this location is interesting, not sure we would camp here again. The Carson Sink is a bomb training location for the Fallon Naval Air Station. The jet noise was constant and loud. Even live bombs. It was fun to watch, but after a while we just wanted a little peace and quiet. Watching these two dog fight was cool, though.

gallery_176_1452_11859.jpg

On our way out the next morning we drove through the Stillwater NWR. Lots of ducks, hawks, cranes, eagles, etc. Pretty neat to see the clear 12,000 year-old shoreline markings of the Lake Lahontan on the hillsides. Where we were standing was once hundreds of feet under water.

This was one of our last trips in our FWC. Our new Tiger will be here soon. We look forward to many more trips with our good friends the Ski3pins.

Thanks for answering the question! Have been to Stillwater once and want to go back when there is more water in the ponds.

Ted and the rest of the"Wild Bunch"!!

Hey-what's a few bombs when you are having fun, right Ted? Another new camper? How come we got our first ones around the same time and you are on-- is it #3 now and I'm still on my first old beat up Granby-dang rich valley people. Maybe dodging to many bombs?. Enjoyed your (both) reports and sure happy the latest Defense Bill kept FAS from expanding over the hill from there toward the NWR and Eastgate and the Clan Alpine Range and my old play grounds to the east.

Smoke

Good to hear and see from a different perspective, Ted's!
Love those rock walls. Constant war games, not so much.

On a side note, I just was looking at an old quad map of Dixie Valley.

Ted, hope you didn't mind the little set up. :)

Nope

Smoke, when deciding where to go after the Ski3pins left, heading over to Gerlach and through your old playgrounds was one of the options. Will have to save that for another trip. Actually, not getting another pop-up but going with an off road worthy Class C- https://www.tigervehicles.com/ . As K60N would say, we are getting old and soft.

Back
Top Bottom