DIY Camper Build From Scratch

Wyo1 said:
Thanks for all the encouraging words everyone! There are a few small little things on it that aren’t quite perfect, but I think anytime I build anything I always focus on the smallest of flaws. My hope is when it is done no one will know that it isn’t a factory built camper...except I think my interior will be better than a FWC. I’ve got a trip planned to the red desert in a few weeks so I want it to be at least weather tight and useable.
Of course the interior will be better, this is a project of personal drive, not the bottom dollar. And your interior skills are better than metal working so I’d say there’s a good chance it’ll be better than top notch! Nice shell!

Bring it down to AZ we can go to Mexico beach!

Wyo1,

Just wanted to add my congratulations on a job well done. Your camper looks phenomenal! Especially given the fact that this is no rebuild, it's from scratch! I can only imagine the extra research, endless measuring and remeasuring to get things to line up and match up, like the roof to the body, for example.

It looks and sounds like it is coming together just as you had hoped, and it is so rewarding and exciting to get to this stage for you. I'm certainly looking forward to how the inside build looks when you get to that point.

Here's hoping you have it ready to use for the Red Desert trip coming up! Is that the area near Rawlins, WY? Always wanted to go explore that area if it's what I'm thinking of.

Poky

PokyBro said:
Wyo1,

Just wanted to add my congratulations on a job well done. Your camper looks phenomenal! Especially given the fact that this is no rebuild, it's from scratch! I can only imagine the extra research, endless measuring and remeasuring to get things to line up and match up, like the roof to the body, for example.

It looks and sounds like it is coming together just as you had hoped, and it is so rewarding and exciting to get to this stage for you. I'm certainly looking forward to how the inside build looks when you get to that point.

Here's hoping you have it ready to use for the Red Desert trip coming up! Is that the area near Rawlins, WY? Always wanted to go explore that area if it's what I'm thinking of.

Poky
Thank you PokyBro!
I must say your rebuild has been very helpful to me. Was just looking at some things on there again today. It’s been lots of research and really thinking things through. The roof lines up to the body quite well. However when doing some of the welding on the body, somehow a bow was created in the passenger side. Tried to straighten it as best I could, but the roof is a little tighter on that side. Is minor enough that I don’t believe it will be a problem. I’m just very happy the roof opens and closes properly, as the lift panels and roof were my biggest worry.
The Red Desert stretches both sides of I-80 between Rawlins and Rock Springs. It’s a huge area and I have wanted to explore it more. Too early to get into the mountains, so I figure that would be a good opportunity to try out the camper. As well as give me a deadline to keep me motivated and focused on the project!

I am very jealous of your ability's. I couldn't do that even if I worked for the factory and I had 7 guys that work at the company helping me. Very nice!!!!!!

Well my camper is nearly 100% finished and I’ve had a few opportunities to get out and use it. Still need to install the water tank and pump, solar panel and mppt controller, as well as the bungee system to pull in the sideliner when I close the top down on the camper. I would love to have been better at sharing more photos and the progress of the camper, however, the hardest part of the build for me has been trying to upload photos to this damn site! This site and the people here have been so helpful to me, and I’d like to be able to return the favor. I’ve got a photo bucket account so am going to try and upload the photos of the interior build out, and the mostly finished product.

Damn. If I didn't know better, I'd think this came from the factory. You sir, are a badass.

Fabulous !

I just found this thread and was going to ask how much of the old camper you used. Then I see the orig is for sale - and intact !

What an incredible accomplishment. Thank you much for posting, for the can do inspiration, and for the build up legacy you have left as a reference for others.

And you are modest to boot ! (rear door sticker) :LOL:

imix said:
Damn. If I didn't know better, I'd think this came from the factory. You sir, are a badass.
Thank you! My hope was that people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between my camper and a factory one. I’ll admit though, it’s not perfect, there are a few small flaws on it. Though I doubt anyone but me would ever notice them.

klahanie said:
Fabulous !

I just found this thread and was going to ask how much of the old camper you used. Then I see the orig is for sale - and intact !

What an incredible accomplishment. Thank you much for posting, for the can do inspiration, and for the build up legacy you have left as a reference for others.

And you are modest to boot ! (rear door sticker) :LOL:
I realized pretty quick after buying the old FWC that it was gonna be easier and slightly cheaper to just build one from scratch. Plus I’d have the old camper to use for measurements as well use for camping for the past two summers while I completed the new one. As for the sticker on the door, I bought the door, siding, roofing, and some trim through the FWC dealer in Jackson WY and consequently the door came with the FWCJH decal already on it. Eventually I’ll remove it and put my custom decal on it.

Wyo1,

You did it man! I’ve been waiting with anticipation to see the final product, and you really nailed it, it looks fabulous!

I really like your choice of materials for the walls, floor and countertop. Well done sir!

Well, did you make it to the red desert trip you were hoping for awhile back?

Again congratulations for completing the project, and to think it was completely from scratch, simply amazing!

Poky

You are an absolute inspiration to me watching your build come together. Well done and thank you for sharing the photos. I am looking at your build and are going to start building the whole thing frame and all. Mine will go on a flatbed tray with dining to the front. Thanks for sharing. Job well done.
Nocturnal

PokyBro said:
Wyo1,

You did it man! I’ve been waiting with anticipation to see the final product, and you really nailed it, it looks fabulous!

I really like your choice of materials for the walls, floor and countertop. Well done sir!

Well, did you make it to the red desert trip you were hoping for awhile back?

Again congratulations for completing the project, and to think it was completely from scratch, simply amazing!

Poky
I did not have it finished to the point I could use it for the red desert trip, so had to resort to using the old fleet. I have however used the new one 8 nights already in three different trips, and am loaded up and ready to go for this weekend. My Renogy lithium battery has been able to keep everything going without the solar panel. Camped 4 days straight over the fourth with ample battery capacity. I’m loving it so far, and once I get the water tank in, I’m gonna love it even more! I do wish I could have made my thread on here as helpful as yours was Poky, it’s amazing the useful information that can be found on this site! I could never have done this without yours and others help on here.

Nocturnal said:
You are an absolute inspiration to me watching your build come together. Well done and thank you for sharing the photos. I am looking at your build and are going to start building the whole thing frame and all. Mine will go on a flatbed tray with dining to the front. Thanks for sharing. Job well done.
Nocturnal

Thank you, and I’m happy to share what I can! If you need any help with your build as you work along, feel free to message me and I’ll sure try to provide any help I can!

Back
Top Bottom