DIY flatbed camper

DannyB1954

A few years back I turned my Dodge Dakota pickup into a flat bed truck. Lately I have been considering making a camper for it. The problem being it is a 1/2 ton truck, so building anything heavy is out. The bed on the truck is now 7' x 7'

I have been working on a couple of designs. One uses galvanized studs used in home construction but instead of using screws or pop rivets I planed on using what is called a tinners rivet, (they are solid). With enough bracing it may be strong enough.

The other design uses wood, but with holes drilled in the areas that are not weight bearing. Dakota Camper13.jpg
Dakota Camper13.jpg
Dakota Camper11.jpg

I welcome any thoughts.

Attachments

• Dakota Camper14.jpg
    Dakota Camper14.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 174
At one time I pondered a clam-shell pop-top (ala an Alaskan) for a flatbedded pick-up I owned at the time. My plan was to use 12mm Birch plywood for the frame. A local cabinet shop has a CNC router and uses that plywood for all of their drawers. Plan was to notch-fit the whole structure together with tight joints so that a structural adhesive could be used for primary assembly. Followed up with polyester resin and glass-fiber. The flat-ish panels would have been 1/8" or so ply - I didn't get as far as sourcing that - bonded on. In short, no metal fasteners except where needed for guides, glides, and door/window frames.

then I saw pods8's project....

I think that I found what you referenced to at http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/54664-POD-Custom-camper-design-stage
They are doing a fiberglass over foam with a side door. I wanted to have slanted walls with a round roof so as to look reminiscent of a Gypsy Vardo. This puts the door at the rear.
I built a fiberglass over foam camper shell about 30 years ago. it was such a PITA I have never built another. I may do the outside skin in thin plywood stitch and glued like a boat, then put on a layer of fiberglass. The wood version of my project would be like an endoskeleton and the steel version would be more like an exoskeletal system, ( one having strong bones and weak skin, the other weak or no bones and a stiff skin).

For light weight I always wanted to try building one out of foam. But most say covering it with fiberglass is a royal pain. Over on "Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers" Site they make Foamies. Ultralite 2" foam teardrops. They then cover them the same way they used to cover the cabin roof on a wood cabin cruiser. They paint cotton canvas onto the foam. I have a friend who recently built a standup version of one of these. The rigidity of the shell is amazing. They can be built very cheaply as well. A few hundred dollars is typical. That site has an entire section on these. Might be worth checking for ideas.

I've also thought over the years it would be fun to make a cap for my pickup like a strip built canoe. More complicated than stitch and glue but similar result in the end.

Back
Top Bottom