DIY side liner replacement?

momo

Hi, all. I recently bought an '85 Grandby for $500 - it fits great on my '92 Dodge W250. It has an icebox, sink, two burner stove, furnace, and plaid cushions. It also came with the original owners manual and product brochure, and the original sales receipt (for $3,831.00).

The previous owner replaced the bed board (I think that's the right term? it's the bottom of the cabover) but the side liner and lift panels need to be replaced (the front lift panel currently consists of a couple of 2x2s used to prop up the roof).

So here's where my problem comes in. I'm in southeastern BC and there's only so much time and money I can reasonably put into this project. I had assumed that the labour to replace the liner and panels could be done by any proficient RV outfit, or at least by the FWC dealer in Vancouver, but when I called FWC, Tom explained that it's a tricky job and they only do these repairs at their shop in California. This was disappointing news, but he was very helpful in terms of trying to find a solution that would work for me (he also answered all of my questions plus a few I didn't think to ask), and suggested that if I could find a good handyman to help, we could do the work and the FWC guys could talk us through it.

Now, I'm more mechanically inclined than most women but I haven't done as much tinkering as guys generally do, so I'm not sure how big a deal a job like this would be. Have any of you replaced the side liner yourselves? If so, how was it? Time consuming? Disastrous? Do-able? Any advice for me?

Welcome to the forum, Peach.

Concerning repair of the lift-panels, check out this thread:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2765/page__hl__end panel__fromsearch__1

It looks like a tricky task.

The ATC guys near Sacramento, CA also do lift-panel and side-liner repairs but they too are a long way from BC.

What about having FWC or ATC @ least send you new panels? I've never replaced such a thing but it SEEMS like making all the componenets and getting em to fit right would be the real challenge.

either way...hope ta see ya on the road. Good luck with yer project!

mtn

Thanks for the replies. FWC will send me any parts I need and I feel confident about installing the lift panels myself ... it's the vinyl side liner that's giving me pause and I haven't seen any posts about people installing a new one of those on their own so I'm wondering if I'm crazy to take it on!

The toughest part of changing the lift panel is folding the hinges. If you search, you will see a fixture I made out of scrap wood lying around. It made the job pretty simple. It was easy to fold the hinge and screw it together. The wood for the panels cost me about $18 plus rivets and polyurethane. I had small scrapes and cuts in the liner, but I just glued some thin vinyl strips to it before putting the panel up. Not a picasso, but I work on trucks all day and want to play with my camper. I only do what is absolutely necessary to make it useable. There are some pretty impressive restores on this site though.

The toughest part of changing the lift panel is folding the hinges. If you search, you will see a fixture I made out of scrap wood lying around. It made the job pretty simple. It was easy to fold the hinge and screw it together. The wood for the panels cost me about $18 plus rivets and polyurethane. I had small scrapes and cuts in the liner, but I just glued some thin vinyl strips to it before putting the panel up. Not a picasso, but I work on trucks all day and want to play with my camper. I only do what is absolutely necessary to make it useable. There are some pretty impressive restores on this site though.

Hi jmodge,

I've already pasted a link to your fancy fixture above, but here it is again.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2765/page__hl__end

Momo,

There is a thread titled "repair help" that I am posting some info on lift panel replacement. You may have seen it already, but I thought I would let you know in case you haven't.

I replaced both panels and the sideliner with the new taller ones. I was able to pick up the parts from the factory, but shipping isn't too ridiculous. I completed the project by myself(no help) in a weekend. It wasn't terribly hard but a bit akward. If you need any pointers feel free to ask. Chicali at four-wheel campers, Woodland, is also a great resource!

brojez,

I was curious about raising my roof. How tall are the liners you got. My old ones are about 22 inches frame to frame inside the camper. It is a little cramped, I am a little over 6 foot. What kind of price were those liners going for and what color. Thanks.

I am curious also, I would like to add height to my Ranger II and replace liner and both panels. Let us know how much it set you back. Thanks-

Greetings, I replaced my Front panel only on my Granby by myself in under 2 hours. Search Southern Gent post.

Couldn't find that, got a link or better yet want to replace mine!

brojez,

I was curious about raising my roof. How tall are the liners you got. My old ones are about 22 inches frame to frame inside the camper. It is a little cramped, I am a little over 6 foot. What kind of price were those liners going for and what color. Thanks.

Greetings. Sorry for the delay, I've been out enjoying my camper. Anyhow the new panels were 50 bucks each, and the new side liner was $700 with out the artic pack. I ordered from the factory. I now have 6'4" headroom. I too am just over 6' and the additional height is great. The color is grey. Enjoy.

Greetings. Sorry for the delay, I've been out enjoying my camper. Anyhow the new panels were 50 bucks each, and the new side liner was $700 with out the artic pack. I ordered from the factory. I now have 6'4" headroom. I too am just over 6' and the additional height is great. The color is grey. Enjoy.

Frank here. Do you have any suggestions on how to reattach the short elastic strap in the middle of the front lift panel that pulls the liner in when its lowered. Mine must have popped off the rivet so when i lower the roof a small bit of the liner has to be tucked in. It's not a real problem to do that. I can take back to Marty at ATC but for such a small thing i hate to bother them. Plus i don't want the whole front liner taken off just to reattach the strap. I thought a 3" hole could be cut in the panel with a drill mounted hole cutter than one can reach in to hold the pop rivet and strap. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any ideas. Thanks Frank

Do you have any suggestions on how to reattach the short elastic strap in the middle of the front lift panel that pulls the liner in when its lowered.

Ah-ha! I didn't know these existed. My canvas stopped pulling in on the back of my camper a little over a year ago and I never figured out why. Now that I know, I'll be interested in hearing a solution. Thanks, Frank.

Ah-ha! I didn't know these existed. My canvas stopped pulling in on the back of my camper a little over a year ago and I never figured out why. Now that I know, I'll be interested in hearing a solution. Thanks, Frank.

Hi Ted. Actually there are three of them on each lifter panel. The outer ones are no problem they can be reached easily at the edges of the lifter panel. It's the one in the middle that is out of arm lengths reach. Marty said to just bring it in any time and they would fix it,but thats such a hassle making a trip there for such a minor item. My thought of having a hole that you could reach through to work with is what i have come up with. But for now i'll just tuck and go. I would think the hole idea should be a factory way to go,thats a lot easier than removing the upper portion of the liner, and than resealing the roof joint. I haven't been brave enough to try the hole fix yet.

thanks Frank

brojez,

Jim. I have a 09 bobcat,the liner inside frame to frame is 25". The inside height raised is 6'2".i think Marty uses a taller liner so that the camper when closed is lower overall.

Frank

Jim. I have a 09 bobcat,the liner inside frame to frame is 25". The inside height raised is 6'2".i think Marty uses a taller liner so that the camper when closed is lower overall.

Frank

Frank,
On mine, the previous owner put down a nice pad and carpet. It works great in the winter, so I am going to leave it. Takes up some room though. I prefer my tan colored liner, and since I have a blazer the liner would probably have to be a custom circumference. I spend more time out than in, so I will leave it unless it begins to bug me. Just curious about the cost of the liner. By the way, I like your canoe set up. I am going to do something similar.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom