do i need airbags?

nico

Advanced Member
hi,
I apologize if i posted this in the wrong spot and if theres already a thread on it. I am picking up my grandby flatbed in a couple weeks and wondering if i should install airbags prior to picking it up as i have a trip planned right out the gate. I have a ram 2500 diesel that i use for work and will also be used for the camper. I am not sure if the ram will need it but im sure it will sag some from the camper. I also thought it would be nice for levelling. considered another leaf but then the truck will be really stiff when the camper is not on, which may be ok considering its a work truck. Also worrried about the bags potentially leaking or blowing on me.

Agree with Steve. I appreciate the firestone ride-rites on my truck.

We have a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab with flatbed Hawk. Have air bags... Inflation passenger side at 30 psi and drivers side at 45 psi.

That levels out the truck side to side and front to back.

Your weight and balance may differ and will need to adjust for your situation. Oncoming traffic will appreciate your headlight aimed properly.

I have air bags on my 2002 Tundra with ATC Bobcat.
I installed them when I got the "new" truck to replace
the Ford Ranger.
They have been on for 10 years now and not a problem.
I keep about 30# in the left one and 20# in the right.
Always nice and level and a great ride.
Frank

I have Airlift air bags on my F-350 and my Jeep Gladiator. Love the versatility and have never had a problem with them. Just be sure to plumb each line separately as your camper will probably be heavier on one side than the other.

well sounds like airbags for the win. you guys running the compressor? or just airing up with a cheap one that hooks to the cigarette lighter?

The air bags don't take much volume and you could pump them up with a bicycle pump. If you already have a cigarette lighter pump that would be good enough.

I do carry a Puma Air compressor but have not used it for the airbags. I just need to adjust pressure at home in the shop before I leave on a trip and that's good for the whole trip. Have slight leak but it takes a couple months to make any difference.

I agree with the consensus that you should go with airbags. I also use just a bicycle pump but carry a full compressor. I don't even measure the pressure, just make sure the height above the rear tire is the same on both sides with a tape measure.

Nico before you go pick up the camper, park in the garage (with full of gas), where you know the truck will be level.

Measure at each center axle to a known body fender spot. So put the tape measure (dumb end) at the center of the tire at the center of the axle hub. Pull the smart end of the tape up to a edge of the fender or a bottom edge of the flatbed at each of the four wheel locations.

Using the center of axle and not the ground to eliminate the variable of tire squat when you have a load on the truck.

Use paper and draw out the four wheels location and write down the measurement you see.

This will be your pre camper ride height at each wheel location.

After you add the camper measure each location again using the same center of axle hub to fender or flatbed spot you used the first time. You now can use the air bags and raise each side to get the approximate ride height measurement as before no camper was on the truck.

Congratulations on getting a Grandby Flatbed!

Our old 6.5' Phoenix didn't level our '96 CTD Club Cab 3/4t. Our current Chucara XL 9.5 does level the truck. Camper sits on the truck full time. Not a fan of air springs, but I do recognize their utility with large variations in loading. If the truck will be loaded more often than not even when the camper is off I would go with springs tuned to those loadings rather than air springs.

Back
Top Bottom