do you keep/store anything in camper between uses

campito

Advanced Member
I usually take everything out but wonder if I should keep sleeping bag, basic kitchen stuff, chair, etc. Stuff that is dedicated to the camper and not needed for other purposes. Would make packing between trips easier and a place to store things.

Our All Terrain Camper is always ready to go. Clothing duffels, packs, boots, food, camera, fly rod, and bedding go in on the day we leave. Bedding sheets and clothing gets laundered between trips. Julie has a dedicated set of "camping clothes" that are always in her duffel.

Kitchen kit, reference books, scramble game, headlamps, and other items are kept in the camper.

We can be out the door in 30 minutes if we suddenly decide, "Let's go." That's with water fill, tire pressure check, etc..

During camping season my goal is to keep it ready and packed with everything but clothes, bedding, and planned meal food and drinks. Water is kept empty until night before departure. (Back up dehydrated food, some canned food, and some dry staples live in the camper.)

For winter storage pretty much everything but the kitchen stuff comes out.

Everything we need lives in the camper. Perhaps because our camper stays on full time and is only used for camping or day adventures. We just load food, clothes and liquids and off we go. Takes the worry away knowing everything is there and nothing is left behind. At the end of every trip we make a list of things that should be added, removed or replaced. Sure is nice to get a wild hair and send it on a whim.

At a minimum I would keep on board a first aid kit, vehicle recovery gear, means to make fire and some dry warm clothes. Some equipment for catching dinner is always in the quiver.

Last edited:
I use to also use mine as daily driver but now it is only used for camping trips. I've gone months between trips with no evidence of critters of any kind getting inside. Sounds like I should/can start storing the basics in it.

Prior to the current Keystone we had a hard side fully self-contained S&S that was totaled by hail. Sincethere was a lot of storage everything for the kitchen and bath stayed on board. We also left the dedicated sleeping bags. Really no reason to unload anything since the gear had no other purpose.

Dan

If I had to I could just take off. Food, clothes etc, are on board. I much prefer to not rely on my emergency supplies. Mostly load up clothes and food and I'm good to go. That's for an overnighter or weekender. I'd want to pack much better for a longer trip.

When on my truck the camper is loaded with everything except perishable food and tools that I use often and don't have duplicates of.

When off the truck and in storage I remove all except dedicated camper stuff that rodents can't damage.

When going on a trip I will supplement/substitue things (mostly food, clothes, tools) as needed.

Keeping essentials like the sleeping bag, kitchen gear, and chair in the camper sounds smart. It’ll save you time and hassle with packing between trips, and you'll always be ready to go!

Sleeping bag, some extra clothing, kitchenware and at least one gallon jug of water are always in the camper. Fishing gear in the summer, ski gear in the winter, duffle of additional clothes and "important papers" during the fire season.

Ours is also pretty much ready to go, minus food and water... I would suggest not leaving any food in the camper and keeping it very clean, we had a mouse figure out how to get in once. Thankfully I found it quickly and it did no damage.

I am picking up my new Hawk this coming Thursday up in Bozeman. My plan is to keep it on my truck full time and ready to go at the drop of the hat.
I will load it with all kitchen items, some clothes and dry food so when I want to go all I have to do is fill it with water, grab the fresh food and be gone.
I do have a question for the group though. I am planning on keeping the refrigerator running full time and loaded with things like Ketchup, Mustard, etc. and then would only need to add fresh food when I go. Do you guys leave your refrigerator on all the time? Living here in Wyoming, the only time I could see turning it off is during the harshest part of winter when I may not camp for a period of time. What do you think?

I don't use my refer all the time. Only if going for more than three days in a row. I also keep my Simm's Fish Whistle ready to go.

. Do you guys leave your refrigerator on all the time? Living here in Wyoming, the only time I could see turning it off is during the harshest part of winter when I may not camp for a period of time. What do you think?
my 130L indel fridge has been on for 3 years.

I will load it with all kitchen items, some clothes and dry food so when I want to go all I have to do is fill it wit water, grab the fresh food and be gone.

I don't keep any food (or toiletries) in the camper. I've had mice (I think they get in through the turnbuckle door) and bears are in the neighborhood in the autumn/early winter.

But mine is a shell model with a minimally built interior. My food is kept in plastic tubs, ice chest and canvas bags - easy to bring in the house until they get filled up for the next trip.

Back
Top Bottom