Do you use water tank for drinking water?

I've always used mine but have assumed if I'm frequently using it that I don't need to clean, maybe not so. What is the chlorine cleaning method?

When I said I use chlorine before every trip, that would only be once or twice a year as we do very long trip (in normal years). Usually I add about 1-1/2 tbs of bleach and then fill the tank. Let it sit overnight and then flush a couple of times before final fill. I too don't travel with a full tank unless I need to.

Thanks smlobx. I assume you use it on the fill hose side and it doesn't impede the fill flow rate too much?

We don't use a water tank at all. We prefer to use one-gallon jugs (only). I guess that comes from not having a tank in most of our vehicles we've used for camping (a station wagon, five cargo vans, a Class B camper van, a VW camper van, a towable 25' sailboat and a truck camper). I also camp occasionally with my brother in his Sunlite and Northstar truck campers and we don't use the water tanks in those either.

I had a tank in my Class B camper van years ago but I realized I'd rather remove the tank and pump to have more storage space. At the time, we were doing winter diving trips to Florida from our home in Pennsylvania. The van would be too cold to fill the water system before leaving and we'd have to winterize before returning if we were to use the water system. Also, we had a lot of diving gear so storage space was sorely needed. That low-down storage space was perfect for our scuba tanks, weight belts, regulators and fins as it could be accessed via the rear doors of the van.

I have a water tank in my Hawk truck camper but have never used it. When I bought the camper I told the previous owner I didn't really need it and he offered to take it and the pump out and cut the price. (He had installed that tank in the Hawk shell and had recently bought a Grandby shell and could use it in that one.) But I decided it would be better to keep it than try to replace it if I changed my mind or decided it would be better for resale value.

I never had a water tank (or sink) in my Econoline van and put over 200K travel miles on that one. I don't have and don't plan to install either a sink or water tank in my Transit.

For some reason we don't use much water so we usually only carry two one-gallon jugs of drinking water. We also carry a jug for draining off meltwater from our cooler and we use that for the porta-potti, small wash-down tasks, ensuring our campfire is out before leaving, etc. We have perhaps another gallon of drinking water in the bottles in our daypacks and the truck/van's driving compartment. We also started carrying a GravityWorks water filter after having trouble finding potable water on a trip several years ago. I have on occasion taken along an extra gallon-jug or two when we were planning to stay in one place and access to water wasn't assured.

We don't have a shower so we typically camp at a public campground with showers when needed, i.e., when personal wash-ups (with pre-packaged towelettes) are no longer enough. On the few occasions that hasn't worked, we've found an isolated place to strip down and used our Simple Shower or even just a sauce-pan of water dribbled slowly over each other (that's always fun!). We used a solar shower (the black-one-side-clear-the-other 2.5-gallon bag with shower nozzle) on our sailboat but never found it useful for the other vehicles.

We don't use much water for dishwashing as we use paper plates. We clean and sanitize the silverware and cookware in a bit of boiling water after wiping them down and washing with a minimal amount of water.

I believe this works for us as we move daily and typically travel in areas where we have fairly easy access to water.

smlobx said:
We use one of these standard water filters that attach to our hose when we feel certain that the water is potable. Works well.

https://www.campingworld.com/tastepure-kdfcarbon-water-filter-18478.html#q=water%20filters&start=3&cgid=maintain-your-rv%2Ffresh-water%2Fwater-filtration
Same here.... also thinking of adding under sink filtration for when we might need to add chlorine to the water in the tank... thinking Mexico.

This one looks reasonable and effective.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0ADH3K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A19NVE4G6SOT2C&psc=1

We use our water tank for drinking, food prep (coffee), washing dishes. Every spring we flush out the RV anti-freeze, cleaning the lines, pump, water heater tank, and the water tank. We fill and drain, fill and add the cleaner into the tank, run through the lines, drain, fill and drain again, fill and add the sanitizer, run through the lines, drain, fill and run through the lines, drain, fill for our trip. 2-part cleaner/sanitizer from Camping World. There are approximately 7 fills in the process that takes about 1-1/2 hours +/-. We are good until we winterize. We stopped using bleach years ago. We also read that over time bleach damage could plastic . Since using this system, my wife hasn't complained about the taste. We also use a camper water softener and white water hoses when we fill the tank. The water softener is the size of a scuba tank. We don't take with us. We use a small filter if we need to fill on a trip.

billharr said:
Used the tank water for over 10 years, bleach once or twice a year. If you are not going to drink the water might as well pull the tank to have more room.
How much beach?

A couple of tablespoons for us. We add the bleach to nearly full tank, fill the lines and hot water tank, drive it around,let it sit for 24 hrs, drain, and rinse. We’ve done that each spring for 5 years and never had an issue with bugs or bad taste.

Bootboiler said:
How much bleach?
We use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup in 40 gallons, added when the tank is 1/2 full, then fill the tank completely. Pump water through all lines until the bleach smell is present, then let set overnight. Drain and flush the tank and lines until the bleach smell and taste is gone. The trailer has a Moen filter. We also take a Britta.

Bootboiler said:
How much beach?
How big is your water tank? The recommended amount is 1/4 cup of bleach for each 16 gallons of water.

You need to not only sanitize the tank, but also your hot water heater and all your water lines.

Drain your water tank and your water heater, then close both drains. Hook your water hose up to your tank fill. Pour a measured amount of bleach into your water hose, then hook it back up to the water supply faucet and fill your tank. Run water through all your faucets - both hot and cold - until all the old water is gone and the new bleach/water is coming out. Let sit 12 to 24 hours, drain everything again and rinse out with clean water, then refill

we often use a water filter to fill up jugs in the backcountry so can stay out indefinitely. no different than backpacking or river trips if you take the time. Katadyn filters work well

I have a Filtrite filter under the sink in the camper. I does restrict water flow, but it even filters out pesticides, so we are pretty confident that our water is safe.

And we fill our tank through a camco carbon filter, so the water in the camper actually tastes better than anything I’ve had, other than kissing a glacier!

Back
Top Bottom