Does anyone sleep down instead of up?

Mikeb

We used our Grandby for the first time last night and decided it would be easier all the way around to sleep on the fold out couch as opposed to the cab over. Here are some observations.

1. The couch cushions are better on our backs.

2. We took out the 2" foam in the cab over and left it home. That way our sleeping bags and pillows could travel up top when in the travel position. They don't take up room while in travel mode nor would we have to move them from the truck to the camper each night if we carried them there.

3. It is hard to get my old self up in and out of the cabover.

4. We have an inflatable queen size mattress stowed under the couch for use in the cabover in the event one or two more people join us.

Does anyone else routinely sleep down below?

Mike

Only sometimes when solo or in foul weather. But I have 4" thick mattress up top so that helps.

I only sleep on the bottom when the storms are pushing winds over 60 mph. My top cushion is 4" also.....and there is enough room for me to leave my double-wide bedroll and two pillows up there and still lower the top.

I only sleep below when the weather is bad or when in stealth mode. Sometimes if I am really tired and lazy, then that would count as well. I also have the thin 2 inch foam up top. For a while, I used a thick car camping bag (flannel lined) for extra cushioning, but that got old. I like the space up on top much better, but my back did not like it. Now, I have the REI self inflating mattresses up there to replace the stock foam. I have the 3.5 in ones and travel with them deflated and stacked. Takes up a little less room so can store a sleeping bag up there or other bedding. Saves space, but I do have to inflate them. I usually just open the valves, let them self inflate and then use a battery operated pump to finish them off. The battery pump is nice to deflate them in the morning.

Now, my back is much better. I would love to have the 4inch foam that folks have in the newer units.....but that is the way it is for me. There are some threads here about this. Do a search and see what you find.

Good luck.

Dave in Seattle

I sleep on the bottom all the time. My wife takes over the upper bed. Also makes it easier for nature calls for an ole geezer like me.

New (used) Grandby owner here... Six nights out and only used the cab over twice. No need for the extended cabover here.. Maybe I'll look for a non extended top next time.. Just seems easier to crash on the couch. I throw my dirt bike gear up on the C/O bed...

We tried an air bed in the cabover of our old Eagle and found it to be very cold. The foam cushion, even a 2" one provides insulation while the air bed was more like a conductor for cold.

Do a search on mattresses. We've covered that issue pretty thoroughly in the past. I'm still happy with my foam/memory foam mattress.

Back
Top Bottom