Doesn't anyone use their slide-in in the Southeastern U.S.

ardvark

We spent last summer in our Hallmark out West and it was a lot of fun, but good Lord, the drive just to get there is a killer. We live in N.E. Tennessee. Surely there must be some nice spots to use our camper where we don't have to drive 2,000+ miles to get to. Anyone in our neck of the woods? :)

Steve

Stalking Light said:
I live in the SE and we camp back here although we do prefer out west. Not many places to boondock but a lot of decent park campgrounds.

That's kind of where we are too. I am thinking there might be spots, but just so few slide-in campers it just doesn't garner much attention. Once we got past Denver they were everywhere. Right around us they are a rarity!

Camped at Smoky Mountain NP twice and Shenandoah NP, both this last June. Next time we want to camp along the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Camped in 3 of the best state parks in Vermont, Grand Isle, Stowe, and near Middlebury in the fall.

We don't see many in the midwest, but plenty in the west.

We are faced with hot humid weather in Indiana from mid June through Labor Day. Not many weekend spots other than Indiana packed state parks, smoky fires, generators, and loud people. jd

Been in the Smokies, but not really boondocking, just in campground. Hoping for more adventure.

I live near Maryville, TN. I get my FWC Granby late Dec./early Jan.
There are lots of places in the parks both state and National, the National Forests etc to camp. What are you looking for?

I'm in Ky., I pretty much only use it out west, just not anything around here that peaks my interest. Love the west. Spend about 2 months out there every year. Ron

Y'all need to explore the National forests.

I know of many places just in the Cherokee NF South (south of GSMNP to GA) and Nantahala NF, where there are people dispersed camped every weekend. right now most will be full of hunters but in warmer weather there are familys every weekend with many during the week.

Then there are the small NF campgrounds that are a parking spot with a fire ring, table, tent pad, and pit toilets, many are under $10/night

Just taking a quick look from VA to GA there are probably over 100 NF campgrounds available, Plus state parks, County Parks, and who knows how many dispersed sites.

I like too use Allstays Camp and tent App to find the campgrounds the dispersed camping you will have to find on your own.

At least in GA, a lot of the dispersed areas I used to visit are either closed due to people trashing them up or are even more crowded and noisy than established campgrounds. Not like the west where you can find spots miles away from anyone else, in my experience back east dispersed camping mostly means camping with no bathroom. ;)

Stalking Light said:
At least in GA, a lot of the dispersed areas I used to visit are either closed due to people trashing them up or are even more crowded and noisy than established campgrounds. Not like the west where you can find spots miles away from anyone else, in my experience back east dispersed camping mostly means camping with no bathroom. ;)

I agree many of the dispersed sites are not very desirable but the other guys made it sound like there is nowhere to camp in the east.

I do like camping out west, but sometimes I have to make the best out of the time I have.

I just saw something about beach camping at Freeman park, Carolina Beach, NC. And dogs are allowed of leash during the winter.

We do have Land Between the Lakes here in Ky. which does actually have backcountry camping. Just have to watch what season you go, bugs, humidity and so forth. Ron

I've found that in the off season many campgrounds here in the east are quite nice. You often have them all to yourself. Places I wouldn't get near during the summer. I also take advantage of the National Forests. Both quiet campgrounds and back country.

We live near the beach in NC. We've FWC from Florida to ST. NF. As mentioned in others post mostly State or Fed Parks, limited open BLM on the Eastern Side, but there are a few. Suggest when searching also include State Forests, Army Core of engineer, and if really luckily county parks. We also avoid Holidays and weekends if possible!

Back
Top Bottom