Dogs on the road

hoyden

Lady Bug
(not sure where to put this, and since it's about planning trips - with dogs - perhaps it fit here :) )

I'm planning a trip and will visit friends. I always take my dogs with me on my campering trips, but those are boondocking with me and them and walks and with other friends who are also camping, but I haven't taken trips where I would leave my camper for any period of time.

Is it do-able to travel and visit while having dogs with?
They aren't rambunctious or fearful when I'm gone, but I don't know if it's okay to leave them in the camper without me (if I want to go have lunch or dinner out, for ex.)

(that's 12 year old Pugsly and 1.5 yr old Argos)

hqq73Dg_XKGrkzm5-ucggxejRJNg3Aq5neq0xAeP1WpAuG5GP-vdqQJA6bDYjhpODWvmw6MpbABsJAVI3nbhi0UkChYa2_ZswoS2Fq90LfJy4aLENLREOcZWDVgK7U1VS4NfEMvM1Hqwm91eA9NO3XB6u59lL_mjqqBp_kVBb9bIPuE30bDDh9O0vdJlEmXvswpVxl84tzlmyIAoXNrYB5Te9TNtllsS6u5PdkqTxT1Q3OmFi-R1ZuU33NTqbO24m2ekkQOq1NKgtBIMax59mq0eaTnPdd-lxkrG0risKfuV88KPTZihpi_wxYl_K6Shv5nvg8Nt7K5LfsjlZ4QSBAxUfL1gAHd553hSDf4S0PqoeF74DsObVbZZv6T38NsU1lr-btd7wnsDL2jFgtq0tiVM0o5lzVox-hG8jHcvH_0o3FBzRiTvEIhJNkTjps9W0_jrpVR4ZJjpxY4pZn0pqKmAaScQcV66P0Yo16DB5GEBmHj5BQbkSuhc5Q-ZuLVz1y9_jVumgT8nJijDuHmZJRAKjWE3C5_3u28XJ780pF-0zQ_HNgYneXEQMcBGLWbGnCcZpEVI3DE6pPCwScH48wTsPJeZuxfLqqUMYzZTUGg0cgYIwg=w864-h958-no

Do you trust your dogs? I know a chap who had a nice 1986 Toyota SR5 pickup, consumed from the inside of the cab by a Cheasapeake Bay retriever. We leave Salty for short periods, but not long. He's entirely trustworthy, but an hour is about all I'm willing to leave him. I will go out and walk him around for a few minutes, then return to visiting.

So, I'd say the answer for us is yes. It goes without saying that temperature is a huge factor in the decision.

I totally trust these two.
Neither are scared by anything - Pugsly barks at thunder, Argos gives her a look and goes back to sleep.
They'd probably just sleep while I was out.

happy mon morn....

my dog always goes w/ me....
the only concern i have is when it is to hot to leave her in the camper...otherwise -- i leave the fan on and ventilate well....
use common sense and you should be fine....

We leave our lab in the truck unless the temperatures are too high, or in the camper. We keep the window cracked, and run a small fan. She just sleeps. We watch the weather very carefully. If we are camped, we have all the windows open. jd

This time of year, the temps where I'm going are pretty nice, so I'm not terribly worried about that. (tho I do still worry. runs in my family)
It also seems that the camper stays cooler than the truck cabin?
I do have the two Fantastic fans, so that does help regardless.

Yes, heat is the big worry especially with dogs that have abbreviated snouts. I miss my old Grandby that had the sliding front window. My dog would lay on the couch in front of that window with a cool breeze and a good view...no boredom and excellent scofflaw protection.

Try to park in the shade, open the windows, use the fan and check conditions often. Yes, I think the camper stays much cooler than the cab also. It is better insulated and less glass for solar gain (I have also had my windows limo tinted).

Love the high country...mine likes a soft bed, a blanky and a nice fire.

WDMOolG.jpg

Pugsly likes to sit in the side window area in the Fleet, so I'll make sure to open that up for her!
and thanks for that reminder - I meant to make a soft doggie pad for her for that spot!

Your pup looks super comfy! yay!

You had your camper windows tinted? I hadn't thought of that. Hmm

I remember a thread where someone had used reflectix on the outside of the vinyl in death valley. It radiated the heat away before it could cook the inside. That may not be necessary now but I like the idea of stopping the heat from even entering. As long as the temps are good I would not hesitate to leave my loved ones in there. If I would be comfortable they will be comfortable, though maybe a little lonely...lol They do love their mommies and daddies :)

hoyden said:
You had your camper windows tinted? I hadn't thought of that. Hmm
Yes, all windows except the windshield of course (although some do that also). I can see out fine but no prying eyes can see in. Have never used my curtains.

ebl5OIY.jpg

Never gone beyond three hours but I"m sure I could. Heat is the big issue. Will the shade still be there as the sun moves? Leave plenty of water and have adequate ventilation. So far both of my camping dogs, while not necessarily happy at being left behind haven't been destructive.

rotti : sweet! I like that tinting!

and yeah, I'm less concerned with destructive (positive that isn't an issue) but def. concerned about safety.

Leaving dogs in cars can be a big deal, but the camper is a different sort of beast - more able to ventilate and keep out the sun and keep cool.
Sounds like leaving pups in camper is done - but with care and caution.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom