Dometic 3-way fridge won't stay closed four wheeling - a fix!

gaylon

Off roading, my dometic three way fridge had a tendency to open up, especially if there was any weight in the door, dumping contents everywhere. Not anymore. I purchased this off amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIXQUWI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - and used a simple leash end to clip the pieces together - 'locking' the fridge shut while driving.

Now on to my next little project - a way to block light from coming in the roof top vent in the morning...

Attachments

• IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 155
I use to stick the back of a spoon above the latch release to force it to stay closed (down). I then added some washers to the bottom hinge on the refrigerator which seems to have solved the problem.

DoorLift.jpg

I also bought some bars to stop the food from coming out since I am sure it will still happen again.

FoodStoppers.jpg

Steve

On the return from LA recently, had occasion to make a quick evasive maneuver to avoid a big rig that suddenly decided to change lanes. No damage to the camper, but the refrigerator did come open. No major breakage and only a minor mess, but decided it was finally time to install a more secure latch solution. The photo should be self explanatory and was quite simple on a Hawk with side dinette and 3-way fridge. Installed two plastic pads, one in the side of the refrigerator door and one attached to the cabinetry secured with a push pin.

ReferLatch.jpg

I've had all sorts of stuff fall from the refrig on rough roads. I now use a bungie cord from the refrigerator hinge to a small eye bolt on the other side of the refrig. Works flawlessly unless I forget to hook it up. Before the rebuild, I used to hook the bungie to the sliding door knob which also worked well.

Back
Top Bottom