Door frame removal.

Willys Addict

Advanced Member
Well hello all, this being my first post I thank you all for any help going forward, although I have had warm welcome and good advice so far,thanks Rusty.
I have a 1967 NCO that is for its year not bad, the top is the issue and unfortunately needs to be dealt with, sides first and then the front and rear, most of this
I have figured out but my first question out there is how do you safely remove the nails around the door frame without buggering it up, so far a center punch and drill
seems to be the best.I do have some pictures in my Gallery, Thanks all in advance
John

John, you might try a set of end nippers ground down until the cutting edge is flush with the nose. Work the newly sharp edges under a nail head then roll the tool over toward one of the handles lifting the nail. Just don't pinch too hard or you'll cut the nail. If it's a super delicate surface put a shim (wood, sheet metal) next to the tool and roll over onto that.

Thanks I picked up a mini flat prybar that would help, I cant believe how well the nails are still holding even in poor wood such a shame to have to go into it.

the choices we make.....I think the punch/drill is by far the cleanest method...but time consuming

I thought about this...and even went outside and tried a couple methods.....and buggered things up a bit in the process

I'm planing on paint so it'll clean up nicely

"The trick in successful remodeling is knowing where to stop"...I'm still working on that... :D

"The trick in successful remodeling is knowing where to stop"...I'm still working on that...
I failed miserably there also.
John-are you talking inside or out?. With the sheet metal I found you are better off just popping the sheetmetal out over the staple. The staple or nail stays in the wood until the sheetmetal is off. It usually leaves a nice clean hole that can be caulked.

Wellll the the simple answer is yes,once the sides are done I will do the front panel and then the rear, so, door frame is removed and then remove the rear panel, I have to put a new outer panel on the front but the rear is ok. The
rear I can save. I would like to redo the skins on the doors while I am at it so the would be inside nails.

IMG_0314.JPG.JPG]
post-6784-0-37586900-1468728292_thumb.jpg

not sure if the picture will work but I took a die grinder and a round bit and ground the ends off, worked really well and the only issues came when I was rushing it pulled the siding off, then the nail ends with vise grips.

Back
Top Bottom