door won't latch on FWC Hawk

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
Hey all, I've got a 2005 FWC, I believe it's a Hawk model as it's on my shortbed 2000 F250. The main door does not latch very well. I keep trying to adjust the little striker plate, but that only lasts a short period before the latch stops latching and I have to use the deadbolt to keep the door closed. I tried using a grinder to make the striker plate a little smaller, but again, that only worked for a short time (less than a day of use). We were in a windy camping spot over the weekend and the door kept blowing open when I would walk away for awhile. Is there an updated door latch assembly that is an easy bolt in upgrade? I'll post some pics to show the lock and the multiple holes cut into the door frame from POs over the years. Thanks!

Attachments

• door latch outside.jpg
    door latch outside.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 79
  • door latch inside.jpg
    door latch inside.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 72
Picture of door sill with lots of holes in it from various locks and latches.

Attachments

• door sill.jpg
    door sill.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 119
I've got a 08 Hawk that has the same latch/ deadbolt arrangement. I spray some lithium grease in there from time to time.
I'm also NorCal (Grass Valley).

Is it just a trick of the camera or is that plate in the last photo (post #2) dished in? If so, can it be straightened or perhaps shimmed out? I'd also try unscrewing the back plate of the lock assembly and see if the whole assembly will slide toward the door edge a tiny bit (then retighten). You might also check whether the screws are tight on the door hinge and on the lock assembly at the door edge.

I'd guess yours is a Fastec lock assembly. It's similar to (but slightly different than) the one I replaced on my 2001 Hawk.

Fastec is still around, now known as Wesco Fastec. You'll also see "FIC" in some contexts. That stands for Fastec Industrial Corporation, an earlier name of the company.

Take a look here. Click on lock assemblies and scroll down for measurements. Click on the little circles for color options. Offhand, yours looks like what they are calling a 'feeder lock'.

Wesco Fastec locks page

I replaced mine in 2016 and wrote this up back then...

My Fastec is a knockoff

I contacted Fastec at the time and they were helpful.

Another major player in the market is (or was) 'Global Link' and there are several smaller ones. If the number on your key is prefaced with a G that would indicate it's a Global Link lock.

Hey LightTec, I'm just down the road from you off I80. I think the issue is that the door latch "tongue" does not slide into the striker plate far enough to pop into the striker plate hole.

Old Crow- thanks for the idea about the backing for the striker plate being dished in. I'll put a straight edge on it and see if it's way out of wack. Thanks also for the Fastec info. I agree that this is probably a Fastec product.

I was looking around online and see some "slam latches" which I think means that you can just push the door shut without having to activate the latch. I have been in travel trailers that shut this way. I've been looking all over the internet to see if I can upgrade my latch to a slam latch, but have had no luck. Anyone know if there is a product like this? I looked at Fastec online and didn't see anything. I sent them an email this afternoon, so maybe I'll get some info in a day or two.

Thanks!

I filed down the inside of the latch plate and that made enough difference to allow the door to latch. I've got a camping trip this weekend, so I'll see if this fixes the problem after a few dozen times opening and closing the door.

Back
Top Bottom