double sleeping bag

Squatch

I've been using a couple of Kelty 20* bags zipped together. Not top of the line but they have been very warm when used single or zipped together. I recently had a zipper issue that ripped both bags at the foot. Not a big issue I've had them for a while and bought them cheap as a Campmor blowout.

So that got me looking. I looked at the RVsuperbeds. Tempting but not really what I wanted.

Cabela's has a couple of interesting double bags and several that will zip together. This includes a new down double bag. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2220689&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-2220689&WT.z_pg_ref=prd2319733

I still have a couple of cheap light bags for summer. I needed something warm for winter in the Eagle camper.

So I just ordered one of these. I couldn't pass up the price and the design looks nice. I'll let you folks know how it works out soon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBPDCRW/ref=asc_df_B01JBPD25O5310772/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B01JBPD25O&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198072135009&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3756688195626627890&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1018511&hvtargid=pla-320459650026&th=1&psc=1

So what is everyone else using as a double in the camper?

Evening Squatch
We have a couple of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Grande-Oversize-0-Degree-Sleeping/dp/B000ETVSCQ

We only use one, open it up and lay it on bed first. Wife has a military bag , which is two bags. I use a 0deg mummy bag from Big5.
To be honest they both are used like blankets most of the time.
Sometimes we use the oversized bags as one big bag, wife changes her mind often as to weather she is hot or cold.
Russ

The interior of my Eagle is kind of a gold/khaki color. I was looking at khaki canvas bags originally. But most fold up so large. The Eagle is pretty small for storage. This almost got me to go for the down bag above. But the one I bought I was able to get in brown. Between that, reviews, price I jumped on it. Time will tell.

It's a nice bag. But 44" is pretty narrow for 2 people to sleep in. Especially considering I'm a big boy and the wife sleeps like a starfish! One is too narrow and 2 zipped together would be too wide for the Eagle.

So far 2 30"-34" bags zipped together have fit the camper bed well.

The bag I ordered is 64" wide. That's a tad narrow for a double. But just about right for the space available. I need something that covers our queen bed for 2 people.

I have two cabelas bags. One for winter and one for summer. I love the extra size bags. My mummy bag (backpacking bag) makes me feel claustrophobic. I actually prefer bags for sleeping. If they weren't such a pita to clean I"d use one at home. I hate waking up in the middle of the night with my covers on the floor.

Never used one but I hear the Nemo double bags are nice. We always carry our two Nemo Puffins with us for lounging around the camp fire on cold nights or reading in bed.

Personally, we prefer nice sheets, same pillows as home and our Pacific Coast goose down comforter on our Hawk's bed. I sleep much better in the Hawk than at home because of the fresh air!

The new bag came in today. 1st impression is good. It seems to be made a little better and has better zippers than the 2 Kelty bags it is replacing. It also fits in about 1/2 the space when packed. That's not surprising. The older bags were a cheaper insulation and had a kind of heavy cloth like synthetic flannel on the inside. This tended to make them bulky. But they were warm as toast.

The fabric on this bag is very silky and the insulation is very down like for a synthetic. I'm sure the 20* rating is probably based on 2 bodies in the thing as well. But that's not really an issue as long as it is decently warm.

Now I just need to get out in the next couple of weeks and try it out.

The size is just a little wider than a queen bed so it should fit the bed in the Eagle just right.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get it in the camper.

I'd suggest you start with the needs first...How cold do you expect your camping areas to be? Conversely, how warm will they be in Summer?

It boils down to a Goldilocks situation....too hot or too cold or just right. Then are you staying where it is in the 20s or 30s at night or in the 50s or 60s?

When it comes to carrying a camper, towing a boat...they say you "can't have too much truck". But you CAN have too hot a sleeping bag!

The wild card of course is if your rig has a heater in it anyway!

I have a summer and a winter bag. Of course sometimes you guess wrong :( At least in winter you can just crank up the heat.

Same here. Have both summer and winter bags. Most of the time I carry an extra blanket or summer weight bag just because it's handy to have around.

I use the camper more in cool and cold weather than hot. In the summer I'm more likely to be camping out of my boat or canoe on an island while fishing.

I tried using my zip-together sleeping bags, but found that it felt to much like camping and not campering! hahhaa!
I put a 1" (maybe 3/4"?) memory foam on top of the cushions, a sheet, and a nice down comforter. I keep the furnace set at 54°F overnight when it's cold out.
Works great, and I feel like I'm in a bed! Dogs like it too - none of that sleeping bag slidey thing happening.

I need to get a lightweight blanket though. In summer, I was just sleeping with a sheet, but it's nice to have a light blanket too.

We tried the sheet and comforter thing. Takes a bit more doing than just laying out a bag. I'm also concerned about the comforter edges getting wet from condensation on the vinyl. Down takes forever to dry!

We've been in a deep freeze here like many other. Not popping the camper till it gets above freezing. We have a couple of cold bedrooms that have been closed off. I tried the new double bag the other night in one of them. It was toasty warm. I think the internal attached blankets will work better with 2 people in the bag than just one in the middle. But they are thin and will likely extend the usage into warmer weather. I do like the way the bag is designed to be more like a bed than a sleeping bag.

How do y'all clean the bags? I've got one dog that sheds everywhere....
That's one reason I like the comforter - it has a removable cover I can launder.

We use blankets/comforters instead of sleeping bags. Two thick comforters with two bodies will keep you warm in some seriously cold temps. Camped at Browns Park National Wildlife Refuge on New Years Eve (far northwest Colorado). About 15* over night.

trout

hoyden said:
How do y'all clean the bags? I've got one dog that sheds everywhere....
That's one reason I like the comforter - it has a removable cover I can launder.
There is a laundromat near me with large machines they advertise for comforters, sleeping bags, etc. They work well for my bag. Another solution to reduce the need to clean a bag with fuzzy pets in the picture is a duvet cover that can be washed like a sheet; probably what you have on your comforter.

Paul

Dog fur is not an issue for me these days.

I have been using 2 sleeping bags zipped together for years. So I have a couple of sets of double bed flat sheets that I sewed together across the foot and about 2' up each side. This makes a slip in sheet set for most double bags. That just goes in the washer when needed. I haven't actually washed a bag in a long time.

For single bag you can do the same thing. Fold a flat sheet edge to edge down the side. Sew the foot and a couple of feet up the open side and place it in a single bag. I use cheap cotton sheets but flannel is nice! Just gets a bit more tangly when you roll about.

Back
Top Bottom