DRD4-7R

clikrf8

Interesting article in the January 2013 issue of National Geographic magazine. It seems that this variant of a gene called DRD4 aids in controlling dopamine is connected to our drive to seek new horizons. It is also associated with ADHD. It has been tied to human migration and perhaps 20% of us have it. I know I do (the ADD part, too) as I have always been a wanderer except that I remain in my home town just 'cause it is a beautiful part of the world. I will bet that most of you have it also, an especially safe bets from your reading lists and TRs. What do you think? Why do you travel on backroads, off the track trails, etc.? I know I am like the song from my childhood: "The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see."

Interesting. I must have it, because I am ready for my next travels as soon as I am home and cleaned up from my last trip. At least now I can tell people that it is the "fault" of DRD4. ;)

I know my family carries it. My 8 time great grandfather came to the colonies in 1662. My 7 time great grandfather was a frontiersman, Indian Trader, and the first white man allowed by the Indians to settle west of the Susquehanna River. His grand-niece married Daniel Boone. Generations continued to travel west, first to western PA, eastern Ohio, Michigan, Iowa...............and that leaves me as curious as can be about what's around the next corner.

Thanks for the information on the article.

I know my family carries it. My 8 time great grandfather came to the colonies in 1662. My 7 time great grandfather was a frontiersman, Indian Trader, and the first white man allowed by the Indians to settle west of the Susquehanna River. His grand-niece married Daniel Boone. Generations continued to travel west, first to western PA, eastern Ohio, Michigan, Iowa...............and that leaves me as curious as can be about what's around the next corner.

Thanks for the information on the article.

Nice family history Ski.
Frank

This was fifteen minutes before the superbowl, on my way back.

193_zpsc5af235c.jpg

I am wondering about the implications. I have noticed that in many cases it is only one person in a couple that does most of the wandering. I suspect that in some situations the wandering gene is a source of some tension when one half of the couple has it and the other does not. Should we be lobbying for a premarital blood test for the WTW gene?
On the other hand having one ADD case per household might be all one really needs.

I'm a "carrier". Some of my earliest memories related to vehicle travel involved fleeting glimpses down side roads, streams, and rivers and the thoughts "I wonder what is around that curve or bend".

Now, at age 57, I've put as many miles on back roads here in NC and nearby VA as probably anybody other than rural postal carriers. The "inventory" of back roads and trails traveled in MT is considerable, and ID is off to a good start. Gotta finish with the upfitting of the aging Palomino and get back out that way to accumulate more ID miles and get a start on what I now regard as the Nirvana of Wandering The West: Nevada. Just this past weekend I decided to take the Superduty off the road (in the daily use perspective) and try to find an old high-mileage small-body pickup to use as a daily driver. Such would allow me to leave the TC mounted during much of the year and still have a pickup for daily use. I can't for the life of me imagine not having a pickup at the ready.

And ski3pin: that IS an amazing geneology, sir. Thanks for sharing.

Foy

:LOL:
Must have it too! Spent most of my work and off time and now retired life wondering the west. I think it must be in the genes, both my parents loved the back country or the beach, just about anywhere out and about and it sure rubbed off on me and my sister. Part of it must be where you were raised too-city vrs country life. For example, once had the parents of the English wife of a guy I worked with show up here in the Great Basin-they took them out to the Smoke Creek Desert and they were afraid-never saw so much open space and their they could not adjust to the environment and all the "nothingnus (is that a word?). Once hired four summer temps-3 from back east cities and one farm kid from Iowa-the kid from Iowa, adjusted to working here, the other ones never really did, not enough street signs I guess -so they felt lost all the time. Genes for WTC, yep sounds right!

Smoke

Ski3pin, you have a made for wtw genetic inheritance. Have you explored further into your geneology. The Lady must have it also. Many partners (mostly wives I think but then I may be mistaken as I currently and sporadically follow 3 gals who wander by themselves, mostly in the west) tend to be more in the homebody range. We are lucky (hubby and I) because we both like to get out there. I have found that I tire of the iconic landscapes (too many people there anyway) for photography. When photographers are lined up elbow to elbow at the bridge over the Virgin River in the afternoon for the Watchman sunset or along Oxbow Bend or Tunnel View in Yosemite. That is why, like Nathanael I like to go off the beaten path for my own vision. And, yes, 1 person with ADD is enough for one couple although the daughter has it along with Aspergers's probably and Oppositional Defiance Disorder which I am sure she got my me. To explore you can't just follow the pack but go your own way. I enjoy reading about the many adventurers who didn't have 4x4s or pop up campers to see how they made their way. Happy trails to all.

I am wondering about the implications. I have noticed that in many cases it is only one person in a couple that does most of the wandering. I suspect that in some situations the wandering gene is a source of some tension when one half of the couple has it and the other does not. Should we be lobbying for a premarital blood test for the WTW gene?
On the other hand having one ADD case per household might be all one really needs.

For better or worse, opposites attract.

Back
Top Bottom