Drilling into camper from outside

captainphx

What has been peoples experiences with drilling/mounting anything onto the outside of the camper. For instance, I have seen people mount a bottle opener. I am thinking of mounting a folding stainless soap dish near the outside shower and a stainless towel hook. I would like to drill into the frame. How can you located the frame?

I have had luck finding the frame by just pushing on the skin and 'seeing' where the frame pieces are.

You can also search up the picture of the bare frame camper to get an idea where the frame should be.

A stud finder may work better on the inside and then you could make some measurements to match it to the outside. The frame pics are helpful, but not always with older models.

Anything you mount outside must be into the frame. The skin just won't hold up much. The #8 self drilling screws work well.

DSC02121 (Large).JPG

Looking into the cabinet under the sink, I see some kind of wall board materiel. Anyone know what this is and how thick?. Looks like maybe 1/4 inch.

Is there any concern when using screws in the frame about Galvanic Corrosion?

I know it is best to use metals as close together on this chart as possible (the farther apart, the more corrosion potential):
Galvanic Guide

This is my first foray into "aluminum frame" construction. With wood we only really worry about moisture :)

What about sealants? I know silicone works but is a pain later on because nothing sticks to cured silicone - not even silicone - so maintenance and repair becomes more of a pain. I would probably want to dab a touch of sealant on any screws I mount so what would be preferred?

I have a few things I want to mount to the outside of the camper and I would like to do it "right" as possible. Although, since I am an analyst I tend to over-think things. Haha!

Looking into the cabinet under the sink, I see some kind of wall board materiel. Anyone know what this is and how thick?. Looks like maybe 1/4 inch.

Cap'n, I think it's thinner and made of mahogany veneer with a colored plastic show layer, but don't quote me; my camper's from the early part of the century.

I personally treat the camper's skin like it was my own- I make sure I know what's to be done (even by 'experts') and that it's necessary before poking it. Here's what has worked for me:

+Starting with a stud finder on the inside, I map out the edges of where the frames might be. I put light pencil marks on the walls and confirm that things line up 'rationally'.
+I confirm there is a solid center between two edges by tapping a dowel rod pressed to the wall surface with one hand using light hammer blows. I am listening for a change in timbre.
+I do 'take offs' of my localized measurements and transfer them to the outside.
+I repeat the dowel - tapping routine on the outside to reaffirm.
+I start with a small hole (not e.g., with a hole saw) to explore.
Good luck, and may the force be ever so lightly with you.

Is there any concern when using screws in the frame about Galvanic Corrosion?

I know it is best to use metals as close together on this chart as possible (the farther apart, the more corrosion potential):
Galvanic Guide

This is my first foray into "aluminum frame" construction. With wood we only really worry about moisture :)

What about sealants? I know silicone works but is a pain later on because nothing sticks to cured silicone - not even silicone - so maintenance and repair becomes more of a pain. I would probably want to dab a touch of sealant on any screws I mount so what would be preferred?

I have a few things I want to mount to the outside of the camper and I would like to do it "right" as possible. Although, since I am an analyst I tend to over-think things. Haha!

I share your concern, Mr. raider. I try to use http://www.finishing.com/ for these types of questions. Here is the advice I found there:

Finish for stainless steel to prevent galvanic action with aluminum

The upshot is that 18-8 will still cause aluminum to 'sacrifice', esp. in salt water environments. The consensus seems to be to "wet install" the fasteners with calking or wet paint at the points of contact.

Perhaps you over-think, perhaps not; you are definitely in company...

I have an '86. Lots of things added over the years-steel, stainless and alum.
I have never heard of galvanic corrosion problems on these campers and don't worry about it.

I like GE Silicon I RTV (the stinky stuff), not the Silicone II ( as it is water based). The automotive RTV's work well also.
There are some discussions here in the past regarding sealants.

I got a tube of Silaprene from FWC when I was doing a bit of exterior remodeling :) It works really well and does not attract dirt like silicon. I used the same tube on and off for over a year by taping the nozzle airtight with a spiral wrap of electrical tape (an old painter's trick).

I got a tube of Silaprene from FWC when I was doing a bit of exterior remodeling :) It works really well and does not attract dirt like silicon. I used the same tube on and off for over a year by taping the nozzle airtight with a spiral wrap of electrical tape (an old painter's trick).

Lighthawk, which grade/type of Silaprene -- among the many at that link -- are you using?
Thanks.

I had an extensive conversation with Terry and Chicalli on my last trip to the FWC factory. Silaprene is indeed the product they settled on after years of trying different things. I got one tube from FWC and have not opened it yet. Nice to know about the tape trick so it won't dry out.

Here are some pics of the tube. I don't see a product number on it anywhere.

s1 - DSC_17560002.JPG

s2 - DSC_17600001.JPG

s3 - DSC_17570003.JPG

s4 - DSC_17580004.JPG

I had an extensive conversation with Terry and Chicalli on my last trip to the FWC factory. Silaprene is indeed the product they settled on after years of trying different things. I got one tube from FWC and have not opened it yet. Nice to know about the tape trick so it won't dry out.

Here are some pics of the tube. I don't see a product number on it anywhere.

View attachment 13953

Thanks.

There's a product on Lighthawk's linked list that seems to match the name on your bottom photo, so that's probably it:
Silaprene-1.jpg

Thanks.

There's a product on Lighthawk's linked list that seems to match the name on your bottom photo, so that's probably it:
View attachment 13954

Yes, that's probably it. Let us know where you find the stuff for sale.

Hmmm....a quick Google search doesn't show any retailers.
huh.gif

Maybe stan@fourwheel would be willing to sell and ship tubes of it to his buddies here on WTW. ;)

Well, after extensive digging I found at least one lead:

This company has Silaprene:
Byler Rivet Supply stocks Silaprene, Manus Bond, & other Adhesives & Sealants.

However in their online page, they don't list the HAP free version (HAP = Hazardous Air Pollutants).

BUT - in their catalog they do list it...

On page 37:
Silaprene HAPs Free Sealant are available for those manufacturers with operations that want the quick curing of solvent based sealants but want to avoid the reporting of Hazardous Air Pollutants. It is available in clear and colored versions that have good finger-tooling properties.
They list "white" with part number 03812381 - but don't list any clear or other colored versions.

Link to 10MB catalog pdf file:
catalog.pdf

Their phone numbers are:
Tel: 800-325-3147 or 972-986-6792

This is at least a start... :)

Well, after extensive digging I found at least one lead:

This company has Silaprene:
Byler Rivet Supply stocks Silaprene, Manus Bond, & other Adhesives & Sealants.

However in their online page, they don't list the HAP free version (HAP = Hazardous Air Pollutants).

BUT - in their catalog they do list it...

On page 37:

They list "white" with part number 03812381 - but don't list any clear or other colored versions.

Link to 10MB catalog pdf file:
catalog.pdf

Their phone numbers are:
Tel: 800-325-3147 or 972-986-6792

This is at least a start... :)

I bought mine from Terry @ FWC. I'm sure they would ship, if you can't find a source. Mine was white and that was fine with the Hawk. I had to get it when my roof rack dug a hole into the roof on my first trip carrying kayaks. Several lessons were learned.

That would be a Kalifornia requirement. Hell, they even changed paint thinner to water based. Can't start a campfire with that!

The non-HAP would be better and cure faster.

It is very lightweight 1/8'' board.

When people install the roof lifters, where do those screws gain their purchase? I never heard mention of finding the frame for any of the screws? :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom