DSI hot water heater or tank less water heater?

Rob85

Advanced Member
I will be purchasing my soon, where I am trying to cut cost. I was wondering if anyone had ordered the outside shower only, where they had installed a tank less water heater instead?

I was thinking it may be possible to install a tank less water heater inside the cabinet area, where it can supply hot water to the sink and outside shower.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

I have a tank less hot water set up on my Ranger II and plumbed with quick connects so that I can have outside/inside shower or use the hot water sprayer for the sink. Not the cheapest arrangement, but the best I have used or seen. Very quick to set up and use.

CWD

Search for "on demand camping hot water shower" on your favorite search engine and you will find several as low as about $125. Maybe one of these would work for you.

An important part of the outside shower is a cabana or tarp to keep the wind off in cooler temps.

Paul

I have the Eccotemp L5 on demand hot water shower . I did exactly what you are wanting to do. I have the outside shower hookup but no FWC DSI installed heater. I not only saved money but I also now have more space and less weight. I used the same setup on my M416 expedition trailer. Dan

100acrehuphalump said:
I have the Eccotemp L5 on demand hot water shower . I did exactly what you are wanting to do. I have the outside shower hookup but no FWC DSI installed heater. I not only saved money but I also now have more space and less weight. I used the same setup on my M416 expedition trailer. Dan
Okay that sounds good. Thanks for the information. Did you install it inside the cabinet or did you leave it portable?

Rob85 said:
Okay that sounds good. Thanks for the information. Did you install it inside the cabinet or did you leave it portable?
Portable for now. It ignites from two D batteries so you would need access and to hook up the lines. Plus it's adaptable to the outside shower and it has a heat/fire vent up top that needs to be placed outside. There is a model made by Eccotemp , the L10 that is more of a exterior permanent mounted unit and can handle weather extremes. All of those various companies like Eccotemp and Triton are made for outdoor use.

100acrehuphalump said:
Portable for now. It ignites from two D batteries so you would need access and to hook up the lines. Plus it's adaptable to the outside shower and it has a heat/fire vent up top that needs to be placed outside. There is a model made by Eccotemp , the L10 that is more of a exterior permanent mounted unit and can handle weather extremes. All of those various companies like Eccotemp and Triton are made for outdoor use.
Awesome! Thanks!

Captm said:
I removed the battery holder and remote mounted it so I could install the Ecotemp inside a cabinet.
I have seen a build where a guy installed one inside is cabinet. It was a no flute tank less water heater. I was just thinking on purchasing the shell and then building my interior the way I want it. I do want hot water and a sink.

a4182226-70-this%20thread%20is%20useless%20without%20pics%20(Large).gif

Captm said:
I removed the battery holder and remote mounted it so I could install the Ecotemp inside a cabinet.
I'm curious how you are planning on venting the hot exhaust gases from the water heater if it is installed in a cabinet? It is my understanding that these units are made to be used outdoors not enclosed in a cabinet. I would be concerned about both heat and carbon monoxide.

Rob85 said:
I have seen a build where a guy installed one inside is cabinet. It was a no flute tank less water heater. I was just thinking on purchasing the shell and then building my interior the way I want it. I do want hot water and a sink.
Sometimes when my eccotemp L5 ignites a big flame shoots out of the top. Be careful or you may just BBQ your camper. I just made it so I can hang my L5 from the drivers side rear bracket.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 267
Takeiteasy,
The heat was my main concern so I housed it inside a steal box and mounted (screws and caulk) to the frame of the camper. The completed unit fits inside the cabinet that I made . Room at the top allows for the heat to escape externally thru a vent in the door, usually I leave the door open when using the water heater. I need to add a vent at the bottom to supply air for combustion if I want to use it with the door closed.
Cheers

Attachments

• Heater Door 3.jpg
    Heater Door 3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 248
Captm said:
Takeiteasy,
The heat was my main concern so I housed it inside a steal box and mounted (screws and caulk) to the frame of the camper. The completed unit fits inside the cabinet that I made . Room at the top allows for the heat to escape externally thru a vent in the door, usually I leave the door open when using the water heater. I need to add a vent at the bottom to supply air for combustion if I want to use it with the door closed.
Cheers
Thanks for the info. Good that it is sealed from the interior. I would want a more positive venting situation for both combusion air and exhaust but that is just me. We heat our water on the stove so I can grasp the attraction of on demand hot water. But if we had it, we would probably use more water, which means carrying more water, which means more weight, which would mean a bigger truck... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom