Dumb question re gas fridge

samstu

My mid sixties NCO has Norcold gas only fridge. Directions say to level prior to lighting. The fridge in my much newer rv mentions this too, but says you can drive with fridge lit. How about these old refrigerators, can you drive with them on?? It's in very nice condition and works well, so I hate to ruin it.

Thanks. Sam

The theroy of operation is the same on both of them just your new one is safer to operate while traveling it most likely has some kind of pilot safety on it where your old one may not. So it is more of a safety thing then a ruining it thing.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
What I want to know is how do you keep the "pilot"light from being blown out while the truck is moving?
Frank
Frank, we travel with the refer on in our Airstream all the time. Electronic ignition. No need to worry about level when moving.

Thanks for replies.

I was more concerned with damage due to fridge moving or not being level.

I drove home (Ohio) from Virginia a couple weeks ago with fridge lit and it was still lit when I got home (5 hours later). With the Alaskan lowered, the fridge is essentially inside the camper and out of wind.

It Won't leak gas if it blows out as it has a thermocouple and will shut off gas when cold.

Sam

Frank,
Search the forums for the threads on installing a system for keeping the fridge lit using a unit from Atwood I believe. If memory serves me right, it was pvstoy who wrote it up. I put one in the Bobcat and it worked really well.

samstu said:
Thanks for replies.

I was more concerned with damage due to fridge moving or not being level.

I drove home (Ohio) from Virginia a couple weeks ago with fridge lit and it was still lit when I got home (5 hours later). With the Alaskan lowered, the fridge is essentially inside the camper and out of wind.

It Won't leak gas if it blows out as it has a thermocouple and will shut off gas when cold.

Sam
If your fridge does not have a compressor, being perfectly level isn't real important. But if it uses a compressor, it is very important to keep it level while it is in use. Having it lit while travelling doesn't hurt anything.

sliderock said:
If your fridge does not have a compressor, being perfectly level isn't real important. But if it uses a compressor, it is very important to keep it level while it is in use. Having it lit while travelling doesn't hurt anything.
180 degrees wrong. An absorption fridge must be level or moving enough to keep it from vapor locking. This is true if refrigerant gas is being heated by propane, 12v or 110v.

A compressor fridge does not have to be perfectly level.

billharr said:

Yep. The instructions for my Isotherm compressor-type fridge say:

"...should normally stand upright in the boat, but will operate at an angle of heel up to 30° and
for short periods even more. "

Some people buy compressor fridges specifically because they don't have to be super level. It's not a big deal for me because i always try to get my camper close to level anyway, just for cooking convenience (so eggs don't run to one side of the pan, for example) and sleeping comfort.

billharr said:
180 degrees wrong. An absorption fridge must be level or moving enough to keep it from vapor locking. This is true if refrigerant gas is being heated by propane, 12v or 110v.

You are 100% correct! My boo boo for the day.

Thanks

billharr said:

Wow thousands of dollars of schooling and a 5 year apprenticeship wasted. Nah I actually stoped watching within 30 seconds when he said that The domestic and the rv refers are differant becuase the rv frig absorbs heat (true) and the domestic adds cool to the cabinet of the frig (not true it also absorbs the heat in the space)

But I do agree with a compressor driven unit not needing to be level it only needs to be level enough for oil return to the compressor.

Buckwheat said:
Wow thousands of dollars of schooling and a 5 year apprenticeship wasted. Nah I actually stoped watching within 30 seconds when he said that The domestic and the rv refers are differant becuase the rv frig absorbs heat (true) and the domestic adds cool to the cabinet of the frig (not true it also absorbs the heat in the space)

But I do agree with a compressor driven unit not needing to be level it only needs to be level enough for oil return to the compressor.
Damn I should have watched the whole video. :unsure: Just looked quick to find an absorption fridge. You are correct they both absorb heat and remove it.

Back
Top Bottom