Dunderburg Peak

We managed to get away for a quick weekend trip. The Trip Report is under construction here - Dunderburg Peak

After seeing many of your posts I am still puzzled by the handle ski3pin. But just now I asked my skiing son, and he thinks it is a reference to telemarking (three pin binding?)

After seeing many of your posts I am still puzzled by the handle ski3pin. But just now I asked my skiing son, and he thinks it is a reference to telemarking (three pin binding?)

I'm not speaking for ski3pin...but three-pin bindings are the traditional, old-school, type of cross-country ski binding, for telemarking and for general touring.

Yup, Mr. dorocks, the old 3 pin binding. And, Mr. Green, Dunderburg needs to be skied. Maybe these two old farts will get it done. :)

I'm not speaking for ski3pin...but three-pin bindings are the traditional, old-school, type of cross-country ski binding, for telemarking and for general touring.

True but not just old school. I have some very new high tech telemark bindings that are three pin. They are super light weight and are step-in and quick release. Wonderful for an old fart who does not want to squat, bend over and twist to attach heal cables.

Stellar photos...does not look like you could have picked a better day...12K' in T-shirts and blue skies? Nice to see you two are back at it.

True but not just old school. I have some very new high tech telemark bindings that are three pin. They are super light weight and are step-in and quick release. Wonderful for an old fart who does not want to squat, bend over and twist to attach heal cables.

You're right. What I really meant (but didn't want to get into too much detail) was that they're old-school for general touring.
smile.gif

(sorry for contributing to this hijack, ski3pin.
wink.gif
)

Great stuff, Ski and Lady! Love the photos.
I've been intrigued to ski Dunderburg ever since reading Moynier's Sierra ski guide.
Also, thanks for some (slightly delayed) real time photos of the fall color status.
We're looking to make a trip that way soon. ;)

Stellar photos...does not look like you could have picked a better day...12K' in T-shirts and blues skies? Nice to see you two are back at it.

Thanks Mr.Sun. Definitely high pressure parked right over us. Not a hint of wind overnight. We're watching weather reports that are predicting a 20° drop in the next few days. 'Bout time.

Great stuff, Ski and Lady! Love the photos.
I've been intrigued to ski Dunderburg ever since reading Moynier's Sierra ski guide.
Also, thanks for some (slightly delayed) real time photos of the fall color status.
We're looking to make a trip that way soon. ;)

Lighthawk, your comment got me to go to the bookcase. John's book was right next to Paul Richins' book. What a reality check to see that we bought it 20 years ago! And right next to these two was Dave Beck's, old, worn, well used, just like us. The photos in Dave's book are priceless. Gosh, do they bring back memories of what we used to do on those long skinny skis. Makes us glad we weren't disposed of at some long forgotten yard sale!

Ski Touring in California

Another great report! I just love those alpine environments and some of those early fall colors are spectacular! The hiking looks off-the-hook.
BTW, still have a pair of "3-pin" bindings myself. Touring mostly. Hard to beat that time-tested design. ;)

<snip>
BTW, still have a pair of "3-pin" bindings myself. Touring mostly. Hard to beat that time-tested design. ;)

On our "work skis" we've used the old Voile Mountaineering binding for years. We never have to think about them, they just work. On one long ski tour the Lady broke a binding - the inside rivet on the bail had finally worn through - a length of fiber strapping tape (don't leave home without it), loop back through an artillery knot after going around the boot and we had a make shift cable binding. It will still working fine after six miles back to the truck.

Wow - beautiful country. Is Kavanaugh Ridge Road doable with a 2 wheel drive Tacoma? We are trying to find some roads to explore with our new Fleet but we don't have 4x4.

Wow - beautiful country. Is Kavanaugh Ridge Road doable with a 2 wheel drive Tacoma? We are trying to find some roads to explore with our new Fleet but we don't have 4x4.

I can only tell you that we aired down the tires and went up and back down in four low. It is fairly steep and rocky in places. One short section has you straddling a small gully down the road. I wouldn't want to come back down that road (with the camper weight) without first gear low range engine braking. I prefer not to be into the brakes all the way down. Dunderburg Meadows Road has several roads off of it - Soldier Meadows, Green Creek, and others that are fun to poke around on and are good for 2x4. Stop at the Kavanaugh Ridge Road sign and walk up it a half mile or so to see if you would want to try it. We walk a lot of roads, scouting it out, before making the decision the road is safely doable for us.

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. I have skied Dunderberg Peak in knee deep powder and once on painful rotted out suncups after a spring freeze. Also skied Virginia Peak and a few unnamed smaller peaks around there too. Easy skin up, very straightforward approach. I'm a 3 pin hardwire guy myself.

Resurrecting this as its come to my attention in the ski touring book you referred me to. We are thinking of heading to the Virginia Lakes area for some spring splitboarding, but looking for some info on the camping situation there in April. I know it's all very weather dependent, but say we could drive there - I'm seeing a few roads and dead end spurs in and around the area. Are they acceptable to stop and pop the top on for a few days?

Thanks!

Resurrecting this as its come to my attention in the ski touring book you referred me to. We are thinking of heading to the Virginia Lakes area for some spring splitboarding, but looking for some info on the camping situation there in April. I know it's all very weather dependent, but say we could drive there - I'm seeing a few roads and dead end spurs in and around the area. Are they acceptable to stop and pop the top on for a few days?

Thanks!

Mr. Green, at the top of Conway Summit (south of Bridgeport) the Virginia Lakes Road heads to the west. This is plowed a short distance in to a wide spot that is a winter parking area. This is the access. Perhaps as spring progresses the access moves up the road. The area is not heavily used by Tahoe standards. If it looked like a spot we'd be comfortable, we wouldn't hesitate to pop the top. A good friend is working on us to make a couple trips with him to the east side this spring.

Back
Top Bottom