DV Road Conditions - and Wildflowers

DVNP reports sprinkles this morning on Furnace Creek. Not really a road report, but more moisture for a nice bloom potentially.

This early wildflower event is really messing with my plans. We go to DV most springs for the flowers whether they are good or not. We had penciled in the first two weeks of April (post-Easter to reduce crowds) to be there and made a reservation at Stovepipe for then back in November. Anyway, thinking of moving up the trip to the two weeks before Easter to catch some flowers but will be more peeps then. Or we may just go with our original schedule and look for blooming at higher elevations or elsewhere like down in the Mojave NP.

Either way we'll be in our brand new Hawk which is scheduled to be installed by FWC this coming Tuesday!! Woo-hoo!

We are champing at the bit, DV has been and will remain the focus of all of our travels through spring.

Speaking of crowds we will be going to DV for our first time in about 3 weeks and were surprised that furnace creek CG was completely reserved.
For you veterans of DV, how crowded will it be in 3 weeks? I mean is it going to be like Yellowstone in July?

Dave rave congrats on getting to break in your new Hawk. Our Hallmark Everest won't be ready until April or so so we'll be tenting it this time.

smlobx said:
Speaking of crowds we will be going to DV for our first time in about 3 weeks and were surprised that furnace creek CG was completely reserved.
For you veterans of DV, how crowded will it be in 3 weeks? I mean is it going to be like Yellowstone in July?

Dave rave congrats on getting to break in your new Hawk. Our Hallmark Everest won't be ready until April or so so we'll be tenting it this time.
This is high season for DV, so campgrounds will be impacted. I've noticed a tenting campground just up the hill from Stovepipe wells by the name of Emigrant, you might want to check out. I believe there's a trail from there to Lemoigne Canyon.

smlobx said:
Death Valley will not be anything like Yellowstone. It will be in its peak season for visitation so expect it to be busy around Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells and the big ticket tourist items. With the wildflowers, you will find cars parked along the road so be on your toes driving. Furnace Creek Campground is nice and close to the Visitors Center and usually busy this time of years. If you want to hike Mosaic Canyon, just be there early in the morning.

smlobx said:

Thanks smlobx! DV is a huge place and there are lots of ways to get away from the crowds especially if you don't mind a little dirt road driving. We've gone at least ten times probably more.

Your problem is that since it is your first time then you will probably want to go to all of the highlight locations which can be a bit crowded at times. I'm talking about the Artists Palette, Mesquite Dunes, Badwater, Mosaic Cyn, Ubehebe Crater, Titus Cyn etc. The NPS has done a good job upgrading the parking facilities at most prime locations. They are all worth seeing but the spaces in between are all spectacular in their own way. Just park your rig on the side of the road somewhere and go on a little walk and chances are you'll see something you've never seen before.

Have fun...

I saw this short note on another forum -

"Gas is actually almost "cheap" - Stovepipe $3.06, and Furnace Creek $3.36!
Badwater road now open again down to Harry Wade Rd, and the flowers are just amazing, starting on the alluvial fans just north of Badwater, all the way down."

We were there yesterday & today. Bloom at/near/around Ibex Dune was OK. Was better on the flank of the hills adjacent to Saratoga Spring. Bloom at West Side / Lower Warm Springs / Badwater Rds was spectacular! It continued South a short ways down Harry Wade, but not even 1/4 of the distance to the crossing. No idea how far north as we entered & exited via H.W. Rd. & over-nighted at Warm Springs HQ. Pics still in the camera, may be a day or three before she can have them u/l'd.

Saw a pretty impressive display in the lower Daylight Pass area and out towards Stove Pipe Wells today, but having seen some photos from the valley proper on another web site, it was nothing close. Kind of regretting not making my way down further.

We were down there last weekend (and ran into 2 WTW members on the West Side Road!). I confess I'm not much of a wildflower guy but I was blown away seeing the desert come alive with all of the Desert Gold. We also camped up Warm Springs Canyon one night and really enjoyed the sight. If you are thinking of going, this might just be the year to do it.

Somebody has to say it:

img_136912_0_92b8423130a3fcd03502412cddb56a53.gif

Must be truly awesome display of floral pulchritude if everyone is too distracted to take photos. ;). I'm envious.

Paul

We were near Saratoga Spring last Friday night and at Warm Spring Mine HQ last Saturday night. Didn't see any other pop-tops.
superbloom.jpg
superbloom 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom