DV-Southern NV and back

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
This year we were able to cobble together the Christmas / New Year holidays into a twelve day road trip. :) :) :) The itinerary was debated back and forth and we ultimately decided we needed to include our annual trek to Saline Valley in addition to visiting new terrain in Valley of Fire and Gold Butte, NV.

We left town the Saturday before Christmas, happy to skip out of the social vortex. :unsure:
Travels were easy with open roads. Tahoe was dry, very different than last year when we skied on the shore in Kings Beach. We continued south, visiting Bridgeport and taking a soak. Ultimately, we went to Mono Lake, using MarkBC's camp just past the road closure on 120E. It was our coldest night at 15F. I precooled our 3-way fridge before the trip, but never lit the propane and did not use the DC mode on the fridge either. Otherwise we would freeze our veggies. Instead everything was fine, and our refer was essentially used as a storage box with no cooling for for the first 24 hours of our winter travels.

Some morning shots of Mono Lake, taken from camp:

In a perfect world we would have been able to use North Pass to enter the valley and exit via the South Pass. Instead we had some good news and some bad news. We met some nice folks airing up their Eurovan at the turn off to North Pass and learned the road was freshy graded. Sweet! Easy entrance via North Pass, but South Pass was out of the question, requiring a rerouting of our travel plans. With smoothly graded road we were at the spring in just two and a half hours. There was fresh snow on the pass, and we stopped for a moment. Four days later, going up the canyon it was a bit icy and I was glad to have the camper keeping the rear end attached to the hard packed snow.

http://www.lighthawkphoto.com/Travel/Death-Valley/20883777_H3w8hH#!i=3006384060&k=kPf4H4s&lb=1&s=A

I believe Lawnmowerman refers to this as Five Mile Grade. He said he put it in neutral . . .

The washed out section at Willow Creek is completely repaired but there's the usual up and down on the final seven miles to the springs. There were a total of eight camps by the time we left, after spending a few days.

We enjoyed some longer hikes, heading up the colorful wash north of the springs. I plotted a course up the left branch of the drainage, then cross country up the brown patina tinted hillside heading for a faint saddle about a thousand feet above.

We explored the two pour overs and decided to do go up the ridge between them. If I wasn't carrying a DSLR camera and was without dog, we could have done either canyon directly.

We enjoyed the remote location, marred as it was by consistent flyovers by the US Military. I think the jets buzzed the springs four or five times.

After crossing the saddle and taking a lunch break, we walked down a smooth burro trail along the ridgeline with a canyon on our right. We've done another loop hike from the Lower Springs to this canyon and down to the Chicken Strip. On this hike, we were running short on time, so we just took a look without dropping in for the hike.

Heading back to the springs.

Temperatures were mild at 1600' and I was able to get out and do some night photography.

The vibe of the place affects everyone

Even Callie got into the touchy feelie mode :p

I was worried about the dog on this trip with the risk of cactus spines and also wearing of her footpads on the rough desert rock. Callie did great the whole trip and was an excellent hiking companion. There was little to no water for her on the trail, so we would share our camelbak water with her by squirting it in her mouth.

to be continued

Guys nice TR, makes me ready to go again. About Callies foot pads-I've always had that problems with all the rocks out here in the Basin and the poor dogs foot pads, but have you ever tried Tuf-Foot. I used it and it sort of helps, but I don't like to use chemicals, so I never keep up the treatments and remember I have it when "Bob' starts to limp. It is supposed to be good for people too, but I have not used it on me yet! Anyway, you can contact them at www.Tuf-Foot.com and would be interested if anyone else has used the stuff and what they think. Again nice TR!

Smoke

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Andy.Really like your night photos.The milky way sure shows up.As did Orion in the Palm Springs shot.
Thanks for sharing.
Frank
Good eye, Frank. That is Orion hanging up there in the palm fronds. ;)

Thanks, everyone for the comments so far. More to come.

After enjoying our stay at the springs, it was time to move on. We had other objectives with this longer trip.
We wanted to visit Gold Butte and Valley of Fire, both first time visits for us.

------brief solar discussion--------
After spending three nights out, we understood that we want to install a solar panel on the roof. I had installed a charging station in our Hawk before the trip. I brought a laptop to download photos and watch movies, which required a lot more watts than our phone/tablet consumption has been. Of course, I am also charging my canon batteries too. All our devices are now was equipped with a 12v chargers, for efficiency. Still, we realize that a solar panel will relieve anxiety about the battery status and encourage us to bring even more electronic toys. :D [It's my next project and I've already traced the prewire with assistance from Terry @ FWC]
------end solar-------------

We left Saline Valley retracing our route on North Pass, once again enjoying the smooth road bed. I was glad not to run into opposing traffic on Whippoorwhill Canyon where it was a bit icy in spots. We headed east on the DV/BP road, past Eureka Dunes and towards Crankshaft Jct.

Cresting into the Death Valley on Christmas Day suddenly our smartphones chirped messages and connectivity. Screeetch! I pulled over for a quick fix to verify the world was still the same. We sent quick texts to our offspring and took a quick lunch.

I was even able to do a selfie with the samsung noteII

We reached Stovepipe Wells just as the sun was setting. Perrrfect

I was enjoying the golden light and high relief lighting, revealing the textures of the dunes with a rim of mountain ranges still lit by the setting sun.

Did I say dogs love the dunes?[/SIZE]

[url=http://www.lighthawkphoto.com/Travel/Death-Valley/20883777_H3w8hH#!i=3006296260&k=JkpTmZn&lb=1&s=A]

more to come

Another chapter: DV to Gold Butte

After hitting up Furnace Creek for air, gas and water we went a short ways down the road to camp up Hole in the Wall. We camped ~3 miles up, and finished the drive in the morning.

Next time we will visit the famous Zabriski Point, but we were on the road to Gold Butte. We drove the 190 to DV Jct. with the Amargosa Opera house, and continued to Pahrump. I detoured us through Blue Diamond Rd to view the Red Rocks, where I did a bit of climbing in the 80's. We hit up Trader Joe's and with one wrong turn managed to get in the traffic jamb out of town on the 15. Whew! Vegas is hectic when coming out of four nights in the quiet of DV.

Driving east on I-15 we crossed the Moapa River and climbed onto the mesa. To the south a broad, braided apron spilled off Virgin Peak. We had enough gas and water that we skipped visiting Mesquite, NV on the AZ border and went straight down New Gold Butte Rd., racing the winter sunset seeking a camp I had googled and GPS'd but had never seen. I marveled how I could drive with such certainty and actually find the spot I was seeking.

Our first morning in Gold Butte

We had located a wonderful end-of-the-road campspot where our only companions for the next 48hrs would be a few steers. Callie had chanelled her cattle dog genes the night before and had done some herding. Apparently we were an attraction, and the next morning a group of four cattle hung out, ignoring Callie as we called her back to camp.

We were interested in a cross country hike to some petroglyph panels. Ski3pin has visited this location and his TR was motivational to us. Off we went in the morning light.

I was trying out a new UWA (ultra wide angle) 14mm lens. :) It's manual focus, but that's not much of an issue since everything is infinity focus past four feet. :p

I also used my trusty 70-200 f4 to pick out selective views. It was the right tool when crossing the desert plain, but viewing interesting formations.

Happy companions

We attempted a wide slot in the Navajo Sandstone to cut through a formation. The shade began to be welcome, even in the December light. The slot boxed out into a headwall at the base of a good size wall. With dog and camera, again we decided the best course was to back up and go around the formation.

After exploring one other promising slot, we found the entrance to what we were seeking. Footprints became common in the washes. We were close, but still looking. Then there it was.

Click to view​
Best viewed X3 or O size​

This shot is a composite of three 14mm shots, where I moved the camera/minipod between images. I'm using photoshop creative cloud and used the file>merge function which automated the process. I'm not experienced doing panos, so this is new to me.

Some detail shots of this amazing 90' long panel:

SR pointed out even more amazing petro's across the canyon. She and Callie were in a wonderful sun spot.

I rock climbed up within twenty feet and felt it was not safe to go closer. How did they do it?

OMG those petros are great. Interesting rock formations as well. Since Ski has so many trip reports any idea which trip they did there? I'd like to read their report as well.

Back
Top Bottom