DV-Southern NV and back

This will be our first long trip in 2014 (a week to the WA coast in February) probably in late March or early April. Thank-you for some great POIs.

Our route back from Kohta Circus Panel was circuitous. ;)
We took a route up and around the ancient sand dunes, hiking a loop back to our route from camp.
Various goat trails and lost trails lured us up gullies and in the general direction we wished to go.
We clocked 7.4 miles if I recall correctly, but cross country miles do count for more. I'm sure a GPS on Callie would be 10+ miles

On the way back I found my own Gold Fire Wave

We spent a second night at our wonderful camp. We set up showers in the last dying light of the day by putting the Zodi right on top of the stove burner and getting the water to 110F. Nothing like hot water and soap to refresh!

Our next morning we headed off to visit Little Finland, an weathered bench of sandstone formations whittled down to narrow blades and gravity defying blobs. We got there early and enjoyed our tour, but soon after several other groups showed up, so it must be popular.

This area is a spring formation with native palms gracing the scene.

The terrace above was fantastically shaped.

We took a perch near the top.

We wandered among the bizarre formations

I found what has been named, The Claw.

The shapes were fantastic.

We found running water and ancient petroglyphs. Was this spring terrace a gathering place or village? Game would be abundant and crops could be grown. Mysteries of the past.

Soon enough a group of hikers from St. George and a separate group of about a dozen off roaders showed up.

It was time for us to hit the road for Valley of Fire.

Stay tuned.

Isn't erosion fantastic?
We will have to put this on the list.
After our Oct visit to Zion and et al ,it has made us a fan of the Utah area and the canyons.
More pictures to come,I hope?
Frank

Onwards to Valley of Fire!

If we had helicopter, or an amphibious vehicle, we could have taken the direct route across the Virgin River arm of Lake Mead!
I could see the bits of red sandstone looking back to where we were from, but we had to drive 30 miles north, then west, then south to get to Overton, and the entrance to V o F.

Ski3pin said there were good hot showers at Atlatl Campground, so that was good enough for us. :D :D :D
We drove the loop and selected a spot with only one real neighbor, a couple with an older RV. We paid for our spot and left some belongings on the table. The view wasn't so good with a whole RV encampment just below. We decided to live with it. Truthfully, we were spoiled by the wonderful boondocking we had been doing. But now we had showers, running water in camp and paved roads, so it's a trade off.

We still had the afternoon light to chase and I was eager to find the Fire Wave. When we had arrived, there were dozens of people spilling onto the road at Elephant Rock, and there was a wedding at the Seven Sisters (amazing day use area between pillars of stone). The roads were filled with people driving fast and the parking was often full. We were recalibrating rapidly! And then I saw this rig:

The scenery was spectacular.

We raced the dying light towards the Fire Wave. The trail was empty, as most folks had left. My research had told me where to look, but now there's a trail with markers leading you right there. The sunset turned some color off the clouds.

We walked out in the dark, missing the trail without headlamps. The road was just above us, so we could not get lost if we tried.
Side note: V of F is dog friendly, and the four legged folks are allowed on the trails, on leash of course.

We returned to camp. The RV folks next door had unloaded their generator against a rock wall, which was a bad sign since it would send the sound our way. But they were building a nice campfire, so that was a good sign, because they would be outside and wouldn't want to have the noise. 50/50 odds . . . Then, they fired the damn thing up and went inside, ignoring the fire and unhappy neighbors. It was loud, really loud.

I took a quick walk around the loop and there were other empty spots. We had paid, but there was no tag on a post, so I felt we could move without issue. Fifteen minutes later we were in a new spot and Susan agreed I had made the right decision to relocate.
----------------

The next morning I met another member from WTW. Captm was out walking his dogs and asked if I was on the forum. He also asked if I moved because of the generator. :oops: Tim and his wife have a fliptop style tent on a very capable Tacoma he has built up. They are getting a shell, which brand I don't recall, but I'm sure Tim with do an A+ job. Tim and his wife left to do a section of the Mojave Trail http://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/mojave-road.htm

The following morning we walked directly from camp to Atlatl Rock, an attraction since they opening the state park in 1935. There are steel stairs now, but the old stone steps are visible below. Even though there is protective glass and the petros are 30' off the ground, the idjits have been there to deface history :(

I did some tricks, lifting my camera up on a monopod to get this shot :)

I only scratched the surface ;) phographing the petros. They are not an easy subject to bring out the true vibrance and depth when photographed, IMHO

still a bit more to go!

Let's finish up this trip!

Our last day it was windy and chilly. A friendly group of sparrows came by to visit.

And a canyon wren went hunting for breakfast in the nooks and crannies of the rock.

We opted to stay off the upper plateau and concentrate on the lower, solar oriented canyons. I figured we could find a sunspot and be warm. Susan made a comment that she was getting tired of camping!? After ten days with me, she's got an excuse. :cautious:

Our first stop was at The Cabins. Built by the CCC when the park opened up in 1935, they were available for overnight visitors. There's a sand filled dam in the canyon below the cabins. I can imagine early visitors, with virtually zero cars or people in the park, taking a dunk in the swimming hole. Ahh, the good ol' days!

We did a short hike up the canyon and over to a fork of the Valley of Fire creek to make a loop. The day began to warm up.

We continued east to the crest where Elephant Rock is situated. We stopped and admired the original road, which is now a trail, but quickly went off trail, heading up to some interesting structures.

We moved to the Elephant Rock trailhead, but went away from the formation when we saw how many people were up there. We explored an adjacent canyon.

Susan and Callie relaxed while I climbed to the top of the canyon.

We circled back to Elephant Rock, but coming from our canyon there was no trail. The arch formation that forms the elephant shape was repeating in the adjacent stone.

At last we were at the Elephant, but above it!
I like the lone, small tourist for scale in the shot.

the usual view of this roadside attraction.

------------------

Well, I lied. This TR needs a bit more time to tell the tale.
We haven't gotten to Titus or the Panamint playa yet . . .

Great read and photo's as usual Lighthawk. The pictographs are cool to see. Love the dog too. Hoping mine turns into the same kind of companion. :)

I've only driven through DV once a couple years ago but didn't have time to get off the pavement. The more photo's and reports I read the more I want to spend some time there and the other places some of the folks here visit. Maybe some day...

It's worth it, Riverrunner. Before I got my camper Susan was not interested in a place called Death Valley. We go every year now, and want to return again.

Thanks for the report. It was a pleasure to meet the 3 of you. We plan on going back to Valley of Fire and spend several days there, 2 days was not nearly enough time to see it all. Thanks to your report we'll continue on to Gold Butte.
Cheers

"This TR needs a bit more time to tell the tale.
We haven't gotten to Titus or the Panamint playa yet . . ."

We love your photography and writing Mr. Lighthawk................................
We've got popcorn ready for the stove........................................ :)

Yep, great TR, Light Hawk, I have to go north in Feb. to see my dad, driving up the coast on 101 thru Oregon and Washington, then head east to Pasco and the Tri-cities, when you guys going? I have no plan yet, got to head to the coast here in California next week, leaving on Tuesday, don't know if I go north or just head to south-don't know-retirement is great, so I'll follow my nose on Tuesday! Got the maps out, been looking at the places you guys have suggested down south and my old army buddy from the past has a place to crash in Santa Cruz, then go camping on the coast! Lot' s of fires down there, maybe will not go south, see on Tuesday , got to watch the Niners on Sunday. Man, the local,news is taking about the lack of rain ---time to do some more rain dancing! day temps in the 50's, nights in the teens, another fun year with zero precip! Get of hold of me off-line if you want, , we can talk then, Bob is ready to meet your beast!

Smoke

Thanks, Captm. It's always amazing how our small tribe manage to find each other in the big spaces we explore. Enjoy your visit to GB. We only went as far as Little Finland, and didn't even visit Falling Man or other notable sites on this trip. We will return to explore the area again.

--------Last Chapter: Titus Canyon and Panamint Playa---------

Our last leg of the trip home we decided to return via DV. Truthfully the options north and west from Lost Wages are not many for the Tahoe bound traveler. The last time we went north via 95, every little town seemed to have a cop on the prowl hoping to nail someone with California plates. :unsure:

We used the beltway to skirt LV and head north to Beatty, where we gassed up. We took 374 west until the turnoff for Titus came up. As per the plan, SR took over the driving. She's getting more familiar with driving the rig and we thought this would be good practice. :unsure: She's an excellent driver, but I have control issues :eek: whereas the dog could care less

I did stop to air us down for a more cushy ride. The fun part was being able to rubberneck and really look at the amazing scenery.

It was a bit gnarly on a few tighter switchbacks, but otherwise I would drive this road in a passenger car.

The steep descent was a learning experience, which went something like this:

"First stop. Put it in neutral. Make sure you are already in 4W Hi."
"Okay."
"Now push 4W Lo"
"Are you in Low?"
"I can't see, it's too bright"
"Try putting it in gear."
"Shift to the low gear."
"Okay."
"Wow, that is low!"

All of this while we were perched at the tip over point on Red Pass. Fun stuff.

Ahead, there was a small convoy with a rental jeep, a couple of photogs in a small suv and one other vehicle.
We passed one group who stopped to check out the scenery. We arrived at Leadfield just in time for lunch.

The parking looked congested, so we parked up the road a bit. Immediately, the photogs parked right next to us. They turned out to be a father / son team who enjoy going out to do photography. Nice folks.

Guess this rig came here to die. Hope my Tundra can do so well. ;)
It was our bench to sit on for lunch break.

After Leadfield, we entered Titus Canyon. Next time we will stop and hike up canyon from the jct of the road and the canyon. We continued on our way. I had quickly downloaded mapping of the road as we left Beatty and still had a 3G connection, so I was able to call out features. "There's a spring coming up on the right! Yup, there it is. Wow, even with petroglyphs."

The canyon tightens significantly towards the end, but the driving (this season) was easy-peazy. Still, it was spectacular.

Yes! We have another member of the WTW Key Club! Ski will understand this. ;)

Once again, we were in DV! We were just north of Stovepipe Wells, so we went that way to revisit the dunes.
This time we approached from 190, but a bit late for sunlight.

Stovepipe crescent

My personal fave

Stovepipe pano

The light was gone and we continued up, up, up from below sea level to over 4,000', then down again to 1,600' in Panamint Valley. We had never been here in the camper, and I had only driven through years before. We had left Valley of Fire that morning and had traveled enough for one day.

We were looking for a bivvy < 2 miles off the road, per DV regs. We referred to the Digonnet Guide and went north on the Big Four Mine Rd. The guide suggested the route was a "graded road", but the monsoons had made their mark here too. As I bounced us in and out of each cross wash I asked SR, "How many streams do you see on the map?".
She said, "Oh, only these three. No, wait! There's a whole bunch coming up!". Yup. But not really that bad. I just had not secured the inside of the camper, as I normally would for offroad. The Wave 3 was still hanging on it's screw mount and whatnot. We passed one fifth wheel at the two mile mark, but otherwise saw no one. We continued until we were just north of Lake Hill.

We found a flat spot and parked for the night.

---------Playa Morning to come-----------------

------------Last Chapter!!---------------

We passed the night quietly, near the edge of the playa, but without leaving the road.

Foreground lighting is coming from the FWC. You can see the shadow from my tripod legs if you look close.

Trying our best of emulate the 3pins, we got out for an early coffee walk. ;)

The sun was not far behind.

We skirted south around the tip of Lake Hill. This is looking north. I think the Panamint dunes are hidden from this vantage.

There's something about being engulfed on the playa, perhaps akin to a sailor on the ocean.

We crossed a small col on Lake Hill to complete a loop. I observed what may be a rock alignment, which are known to exist on the Panamint Playa. It was clearly manmade, but not definitive.

We liked our backyard while camping here. The little white spot is our rig.

A few longtime residents

Parting shot of Father Crowley point. There was a large RV set up at the end of the overlook road. They must have quite a view from their perch. Just another spot to consider on the ever growing bucket list of places to check out.

Thanks for following along!

-------------Finito!----------Finis-----------Completo-----------End of Story--------Over-and-out!-----------------------

Back
Top Bottom