Eagle airfoil on 01 Tacoma

Sometimes I daydream about creating some sort of modular fiberglass nose that would attach to the front of the popup, similar to the Phoenix design.
Then I could market them all to you guys and quit my day job! :LOL:

Just wondering how much does that Eagle weigh on the 01 Tacoma? I just bought a 2011 Tacoma TRD, and have a 6ft Fleetwod Pop up that fits into a 6ft bed? The Fleetwood weigh 925 lbs, and the cargo capacity for the 2011 Tacoma is 1415 lbs. Do you know the cargo capacity for the 2001 Tacoma? How did the truck ride with the Eagle? I carried my Fleetwood camper in an 88 SR5 4x4 4 cylinder, and it road real well. I did install spring stiffners which seemed to help. I also had the camper in an 01 Tacoma, but it didn't seem to sit very well at highway speeds and caused my truck to sway quite a bit. I sold the truck before I could figure out what was causing it. I'm hoping that my new Tacoma will carry it real well, and if there were any kind of adjustments or attachments I needed to put on the truck to help things out.

Just wondering how much does that Eagle weigh on the 01 Tacoma? I just bought a 2011 Tacoma TRD, and have a 6ft Fleetwod Pop up that fits into a 6ft bed? The Fleetwood weigh 925 lbs, and the cargo capacity for the 2011 Tacoma is 1415 lbs. Do you know the cargo capacity for the 2001 Tacoma? How did the truck ride with the Eagle? I carried my Fleetwood camper in an 88 SR5 4x4 4 cylinder, and it road real well. I did install spring stiffners which seemed to help. I also had the camper in an 01 Tacoma, but it didn't seem to sit very well at highway speeds and caused my truck to sway quite a bit. I sold the truck before I could figure out what was causing it. I'm hoping that my new Tacoma will carry it real well, and if there were any kind of adjustments or attachments I needed to put on the truck to help things out.

I have an 01 Tacoma (I started this thread I think... air foils)... This was my first trip... so I installed Firestone air suspension(fantastic)... I weighed everything I put in (starting at 750 lbs with what I had ordered as accessories). We had a canoe (60lbs and a kayak 40lbs) on the roof... full tank water and propane.... 2 30packs of beer (long trip) and a 2hp outboard for the canoe (30 lbs) all told I estimated we were at 1800 lbs camper...people, dog... total weight on the 2001. We were in wild North Maine woods... it handled great.... mileage was 16 mpg up and home 17 mpg. I can't say enough about the air suspension ... wow.
bucklsnd

I know this is an older thread but I'd rather keep the topic in one place. I'm looking at the Yakima fairing since I have tracks for the Yakima system on top. I figure if I don't like the fairing I can improvise a better one similar to Kodachrome.

For those of you who do use a fairing how are they working out?

I have an 01 Tacoma (I started this thread I think... air foils)... This was my first trip... so I installed Firestone air suspension(fantastic)... I weighed everything I put in (starting at 750 lbs with what I had ordered as accessories). We had a canoe (60lbs and a kayak 40lbs) on the roof... full tank water and propane.... 2 30packs of beer (long trip) and a 2hp outboard for the canoe (30 lbs) all told I estimated we were at 1800 lbs camper...people, dog... total weight on the 2001. We were in wild North Maine woods... it handled great.... mileage was 16 mpg up and home 17 mpg. I can't say enough about the air suspension ... wow.
bucklsnd

Assuming the improved mpg going home was a direct result of being lighter because you efficiently dispatched all that beer before your return.

I solved the wind buffiting problem on my '06 Tundra and 05 Hawk. I used Plywood, Yakima racks, U-bolts, and PVC. Disclamer: It will probably fly off and kill someone.
I don't know how to post photos or I would show you. You can email me.

For a 2001 Tacoma and 2003 Eagle with a signicant gap above the cab I am using a Yakima 48" bar with Q-Towers and Q-16 clips.

A standard Yakima air deflector fits OK, and I have virtually no wind noise up to 65 mph.

Everything was purchased from Craigslist for a low price. No drilling or permanent modifications are needed. It just clamps on and seems sturdy enough.

P5280032 (Medium).JPG
P5280034 (Medium).JPG

soughdough said:
BLM, Thanks. I just ordered your setup for my rig. $76 total. Seems like the simpliest suloution.
Using "setup" is slightly misleading... $76 is for the fairing only. Posts, adapters and bars sold separately, bringing the "total setup" to about $300 for folks who don't already have a Yakima rack. Also note: the autoanything.com site only showed me Ford and GMC rack systems, imports need not apply. Still it looks like an elegant solution.

Guys - Here's what I came up with; made from a 6 ft. length of rain-gutter cover I found at Home Depot and mounted to the underside of the cabover with aluminum angle, screws, and pop-rivets. I saw posts about this on the Overland site, with drawings, etc.; and then came up with my own solutions. The theory is that the defector substancially reduces wind noise (which it does) while the holes eliminate back pressure so dirt/dust does not work it's way up btw the cab and the camper. I just completed a 2.5 month, nearly 10,000 mile trip and it held up beautifully. The best part is there was nothing to mount of the cab roof and the cost was less than 20 bucks.

Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

• my FWC.JPG
    my FWC.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 309
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 316
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 288
Very cool ideas - I'm looking at an airfoil for my 2000 F250 with a 4WC. My mileage drops from 17-18 empty, to 15-16 with the camper. I can't really complain since I've got a full size truck (diesel), but I figure every little bit helps. The wind noise with the camper is minimal. I've got a yakima Q tower that I'm looking to use as a base. I was going to use a large sheet of plexiglass, U-bolted to the yakima bar, but read that the plexi just doesn't hold up (was that in this thread?). I'll post pics if/when I get something mounted up.

I like the rain gutter idea, but don't like to drill holes into my 4WC.

Back
Top Bottom