Eagle Shell Now Vs Fleet Shell Later?

GrayJ

Hey everybody,

I've been wanting to order an Eagle shell model for my 2010 Tacoma (extended cab/6 ft bed) for several years now. The problem is I'm currently living (stationed) in Hawaii, and besides the shipping cost, I wouldn't be able to get much use out of it. Now that the Eagle model is being discontinued in March, I'm considering ordering one anyway to avoid having to settle for a wider/heavier Fleet shell later on. I will likely return to the mainland at the end of this year, although there is also a chance that I'll stay overseas. I guess I'm just looking for a sanity check. Does anyone think I would notice enough of a difference in both weight and aerodynamics between an Eagle and a Fleet to go for the Eagle before it gets canned?

Other factors:

I have a garage to store it in.

I have 2 family members that may be able to use it until I get back. One has a 2001 Tacoma (extended cab/6 ft bed) and the other has a 2001 Tundra (extended cab/6 ft bed). Am I correct in assuming that each truck could carry an Eagle, but that each would require a different tie-down setup?

If I do end up staying overseas, it will most likely be in Germany. In that case, I had always thought that I would sell that Tacoma and purchase something locally that would have better gas mileage and "fit" better on European roads. Does anyone have any experience using an American spec truck with an FWC in Europe?

Thanks in advance for any advice and also for all the info everybody has already shared on here.

GrayJ said:
... Does anyone have any experience using an American spec truck with an FWC in Europe?...
Also- FWC has a dealer in Germany. Their website is here. You may want to scroll down to the galleries at the bottom of the page and scroll through the photos of the rigs. Or do a Google Image search for 'wohnkabine' for more photos of camper rigs. And of course you can then continue exploring by visiting the web pages ending in '.de'.

Maybe it helps ;)

I live in the Bavarian Alps (South of Germany) and I’m a proud owner of a 2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 Access Cab! I carry a 2015 FWC Eagle on the 6’ bed.

The Tacoma fits nicely our roads and highways. In the big cities like Munich it sometimes may be a little harder to find a parking slot to fit in with the FWC loaded especially in parking houses. But the same problem occurs if you have a FWC loaded on a european pickup!

1. European pickups have better gas mileage because they have less horsepower than any American small size pickup!!!

2. Europaen pickups are Diesel-Pickups, have more payload but won’t apply to US emmission standards. So if you leave Germany you have to sell your pickup.

3. In Germany pickups are more expensive compared to the USA. And a FWC Eagle popup-camper is nearly twice the price of an american one!
For example the basic version price of the Eagle (in Germany called FOX) is 26500 Euros (= 28.800 USD) !!!

http://www.wohnkabinencenter.de/wohnkabinen-neu/four-wheel/fox/eagle.php

4. Beware of the German TÜV! In Germany every part added to a car (for example an air suspension) must have a vehicle inspection certificate!

My advice:
Stay with the Tacoma and order the FWC in the USA!

From my last trip to greece

Korinthos.jpg

For more information of Tacoma compatibility to European roads contact stan@fourwh.com!
Stan has made a trip to Germany and Southern Europe this summer with his white Tacoma and a FWC Fleet !

https://www.facebook.com/FourWheelCampersGermany/posts/913224212097969

If you can afford it, go with the Eagle. I personally don't care for the wider version. I think you will be more than happy with an Eagle. How do you plan to have it configured?

Thanks for the link Sagebrush. Hmm, if an F250 can do it...

Thanks Old crow, I knew FWC had a presence in Germany, but had always thought truck campers were still sort of on the fringe over there. Not so much it seems.

ETAV8R,

Thanks, the extra 6 inches don't make any sense to me either. Funds are not an issue. I plan to start with a bare shell and add what I need as I figure out I really need it. I'll probably end up with something pretty close to Overland Hadley's build (he should copyright that thing).

GrayJ said:
ETAV8R,

Thanks, the extra 6 inches don't make any sense to me either. Funds are not an issue. I plan to start with a bare shell and add what I need as I figure out I really need it. I'll probably end up with something pretty close to Overland Hadley's build (he should copyright that thing).
Hadley has definitely set the bar for what you can do with a shell model. I do like how they are doing shell's with a small stove and heater in the corner near the door. Very convenient. I've not had to cook in my camper yet.

I have an ATC Bobcat on a Tacoma, which I think is kind of between the Fleet and the Eagle in width and if I were you, I'd be looking at the Fleet. The Fleet's only a little wider than the Eagle, but in these small campers, every cubic inch can become precious. I think the Eagle looks better, but the Fleet probably functions better and I'm a "form follows function" kind of guy.

I like the tighter fit of our Eagle shell. Less sticking out to hit on trail side snags.

We have a 2012 Eagle with the stove furnace combo, roll over couch, extra vent. We bought it used but after having it I would order exactly the same again. The couch is comfy enough and the extra room from not having a water system and counter is huge.

With the smaller trucks getting huge is the latest versions I see why the move to the Fleet camper. In a truck like a 1st gen Taco or similar I think the eagle is a better fit.

I'm back in squatch. I also just got a 2015 Eagle w/ stove, furnace, couch, extra vent. I wouldn't change anything

downhiller37,

Wow, thanks for the details. Looks like we have the same setup. If I don't take the Tacoma and a camper to Europe with me, I plan on probably buying a used wagon or suv instead, not a new truck. The cost of fuel is my biggest concern as the truck would be my only vehicle/daily driver. I would remove the camper between trips.

I'll definitely be talking to Stan at FWC eventually and I'll ask him about that trip. Looked like a good time.

Here in the U.S., I'm used to traveling and camping in state/national parks and on forest service roads/government land. How is the access to places like that in Europe? Is it comparable? What about fees?

What is the parts situation like for the Tacoma in Europe? Will I need to ship most things from the U.S.? How did you acquire your truck? Was it purchased in Europe or shipped from the U.S. or Canada?

Thanks again for the info.

Squatch said:
I like the tighter fit of our Eagle shell. Less sticking out to hit on trail side snags.
In a truck like a 1st gen Taco or similar I think the eagle is a better fit.
I agree, but I'm biased because I already have an Eagle. I can also appreciate that every cubic inch counts, but I lived in a crowded area and used the truck/camper as a "weekly driver" (parking lots, crazy commuters, etc) when I made the decision. I don't regret it or long for a Fleet, but more room is more room.

I think the Fleet might also block part of your view from the side mirrors, but I would verify that with somebody who actually has one. Even if it does block the view, you might not care, or you can get bigger mirrors.

I was looking at buying a new eagle in 2-3 years but now I am looking at the ATC equivalent but I can't remember the model name.

Kolockum said:
I was looking at buying a new eagle in 2-3 years but now I am looking at the ATC equivalent but I can't remember the model name.
ATC makes the Bobcat which if I am correct is the same as the FWC Fleet.
The Bobcat is about 6" wider than the Eagle.
So your choice is
1 Get an Eagle before they are discontinued.
2 Get a Fleet.
3 Get a camper made by ATC.
Good luck.
For my part I like the wider Fleet/Bobcat. Don't think that there is that much difference in the weight between the two.
And that extra width sure is nice.
As for "truck overhang" it isn't that much.
I had my Bobcat on a Ford Ranger and could see well out of the rear view mirrors.
I do have to admit I like the camper better on the Tundra,as it is smooth with the bed sides.
It's a matter of "owner" preference,IMO.
Frank

On my Tacoma the extra 3" of width on each side would obstruct my mirrors more than I like, some trucks allow you to extend the mirrors so it wouldn't make much difference, and some trucks are wider than the Tacoma to begin with. A simple diagram will show how much, if any, rear visibility you would lose for any given truck/camper combo.

@GrayJ

[SIZE=10pt]In Germany we have campgrounds, caravan sites and motor camps you have to pay for. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]And there are parking areas for mobile homes free of use especially close to the cable car stations in the alps. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Unfortunately not comparable to camping in the state/national parks in the USA! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Please consider our country is smaller ;) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]In some European countries it is forbidden to stay outside of those grounds. But you are allowed to rest at a place for a day and a night but then you have to move.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Travelling on forest service roads is off limits to unauthorized personnel! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Access to government land especially to the lakes is free by law but you are not allowed to camp there![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]For more information read this:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Stellplatz[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Examples for camp sites:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]http://en.camping.info/germany/campsites[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]https://alanrogers.com/camping/germany[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Campsites in Europe:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]But the more you travel to the south of Europe (Spain, Greece, …) you will find places where you can stay without problems. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]I stay at the isle of Rhodos (Greece) for at least two months in summer for windsurfing. No trouble so far![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The 2010 Tacoma is the third of three Tacomas I have imported to Germany. Two Gen 1 were shipped from Canada and the 2010 Gen 2 is shipped from the US.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Tacomas are not so common in Europe but some can be purchased at dealers of US cars.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/auto?isSearchRequest=true&usage=NEW&usage=USED&usageType=PRE_REGISTRATION&makeModelVariant1.makeId=24100&makeModelVariant1.modelId=37&maxPrice=&minFirstRegistrationDate=&maxMileage=&ambitCountry=&zipcode[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]=[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Getting parts isn’t a problem maybe the parts are more expensive than in the USA. I always get the parts at my local Toyota dealer who also did the service and the TSBs. For example last[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]Rear Spring TSB [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]was announced by Toyota Germany (Köln) and done by no charge.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Cost of fuel for the Tacoma:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Super: 1.30 Euro/Liter 1 gallon = 4Liter = 5.20 Euros = 5,6 Dollars[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Diesel is cheaper![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Diesel: 1 Euro/Liter 1 gallon = 4Liter = 4 Euros = 4,3 Dollars[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] I guess fuel in the US is half the price?[/SIZE]

downhiller37,

Thanks again for the great info. I do forget how much more wide open it is in the U.S. Free camping in the Alps sounds nice.

Nice to know that you can still get everything from the dealer. What made you choose the Tacomas rather than a Hilux. Size, horsepower?

Thanks everybody for the opinions and advice. I'm about 90% sure I'll be putting an order in for an Eagle shell next month. A few more options to think about along with a trip to the factory to check the campers out in person and it should be a done deal. I guess I'm still 50/50 on taking the setup to Europe, although the more I look into it, the better I feel about it (except for the gas).

@GrayJ

As you supposed my favor for the US Tacoma is size and horsepower (V6 = 236 HP) and even more the softer ride when unloaded compared to European pickups!
Counting on TTIPP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) with the discount of 20% on import custom fees
I will go with a Gen 3 Tacoma.

In Germany a Hilux Extended Cab is only available with 144 HP.
For more horsepower you have to choose a Hilux Double Cab (171 HP)

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/hilux/index.json
https://www.toyota.de/automobile/hilux/index.json

No problems carrying a FWC EAGLE (in Germany named FOX) with air suspension or OME Dakar Leaf springs on a Hilux ExCab.

https://picasaweb.google.com/PickupCamper/Four_Wheel_Campers_Fox_2014_auf_Hilux

In my opinion the Hilux Double Cab is not a good choice for a FWC EAGLE!! Too much weight on the rear. So more modifications are necessary.

For me an option would be the new (australian constructed) Ford Ranger 2016 if there is no access to a Tacoma!

http://www.exct-cars.com/ute-comparison-ford-ranger-v-holden-colorado-v-isuzu-d-max-v-mazda-bt-50-v-mitsubishi-triton-v-nissan-navara-v-toyota-hilux-v-volkswagen-amarok/

Back
Top Bottom