Eagle Shell Now Vs Fleet Shell Later?

GroovyDad said:
I have an ATC Bobcat on a Tacoma, which I think is kind of between the Fleet and the Eagle in width and if I were you, I'd be looking at the Fleet. The Fleet's only a little wider than the Eagle, but in these small campers, every cubic inch can become precious. I think the Eagle looks better, but the Fleet probably functions better and I'm a "form follows function" kind of guy.
Amen! ;)

Maybe it helps!

The main reason I went with the EAGLE is that in Europe the entrance at the Toll Stations is narrower than in the USA! It is also easier to fit in the parking lots on the car deck of the sea ferries which means less ferry costs if you don’t have to choose the lot for a truck!

On the picture below you can see a Toll Station in Austria. I can pass with my Eagle loaded Tacoma for less toll through the gates for regular cars. Watch signs on top of picture!
There are gates for the big commercial trucks, for mobile homes and caravans where you have to line up, wait longer and pay more!
I can also pass the video lane ( for prepaid toll ) without problems which is the fastest way to pass!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Videomaut-A13-Schoenberg.ogg

On the picture you can also see a motorboat nearly stuck in the entrance!
Also watch the van on the right. If you carry bikes or other stuff that hangs out more than 10cm off the back of your car you must attach a plate with red and white reflecting stripes. Those plates are different for Italy and Spain!
On the left you can see a bike rack with rear lights and an additional license plate.
Police takes care of it! In case of irregularities you have to pay surcharge!!!

Schönberg.jpg

One thing to consider on the new 2016 Tacomas is that they are only 4 inches narrower and weighs 450# less than a 2016 F150. Not sure which got bigger or smaller but they are not very small anymore. My 2003 Tacoma that I gave my daughter which she still drives seems tiny parked next to my 2015 F150 but I recently parked next to a 2015 Tacoma and it did seem very close in size. I owned a 1984 Toyota truck which was definitely a two seater. That 1984 stayed underwater for two weeks in a flood when the water dropped I hosed it out recharged the battery and drove in to town.

Our old '99 Tacoma X-cab bed width was 57.9" wide. Overall 67.7" . The Eagle (69") didn't block the mirrors. The Fleet (76") would have.

Its replacement - 2013 Tacoma Access cab bed width 56.7" - overall 74.6" wide. Eagle sits within the footprint. 2nd Gen Tacoma is about 10" shorter and 6" narrower that 1st Gen Tundra.

Both Eagle and Fleet are the same width between the wheel wells. The extra 7 inches width are split (3.5 inches ) per side on the part that extends over the bed rails.

We drive a lot of trails bordered by Manzanita and other prickly bushes. We experience a lot less "pin-striping" by bush on our Tacoma/Eagle with the narrower width than our friends with the full size Ford/Chev/Dodge trucks.

The wife also wanted me to add - sleeping consideration. On Eagle we sleep front-to-back. All other models sleeping is side to side so inside person has to crawl over outside person when nature calls. At age 72 feature to consider

After 132 nights in 3.5 years we are happy with the Eagle shell.

Back
Top Bottom