Eagle/Tacoma experiences

chamster

Hi all, Good forum. I'm researching options for a vehicle for my wife and I to travel Baja and other places. I've looked into 4x4 vans and they're perfect for our travel plans but not so versatile for day-to-day life. I'm also very concerned about gas mileage. I was thinking about pop-up campers and the other day I saw a FWC on a toyota tacoma x-tra cab standard (6ft) bed. Looked like it might be a good option so I've been doing some research. I have a couple questions that I hope someone will have some first-hand experience with:

1. Regarding power/weight: How does a 4 cylinder toyota pickup do with an Eagle camper on it? I don't need to pass everyone on the highway but I don't want to have to pull over to let everyone by.

2. Gas mileage: Any idea what the gas mileage would be on the rig described above?

:D Thanks for any advice!!

Bob

We recently had a discussion on Tacomas and while I don't think there was a concensus, most thought that a diesel truck would provide better fuel economy and power for transporting a camper. Rumor has it Toyota will have a diesel option in the Tundra in the near future.

Thanks DirtyDog. Unfortunately a new truck is out of my league ($$$). I'm looking to spend less than 20k on truck+camper, so I'm thinking used Tacoma for about 11-12k. And I'm thinking popup primarily for the gas mileage advantage.

I too am in Bend, and I've seen a Tacoma with a fwc popup around town so I'm hoping I can run the guy down and get some first hand feedback from him.

Cheers!

I think that guy works at the Rite-Aid on 3rd next to Robberson Ford. I always see his truck parked there. You could probably track him down there.

Yep, that's where I've seen it too. I'll give it a shot.

I ran into the dude earlier this spring out at Horse Ridge. He's a nice guy, I'm sure he would be willing to answer your questions.

I've got an '04 taco with the V-6 and I get about 16 to 18 mpg with the camper on. Head winds can drop it down to 13-14 depending on how fast you're going (I go 70-75 regularly) I bet you could get decent gas mileage with the 4 banger, but you'll have issues with hills or passes (as I do) but I also have 33's and have not regeared yet, 5.29's in the future will help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom